C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Took the plunge, got an MBZ C230 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the plunge, got an MBZ C230 Coupe

After debating between a new MINI, new C230 coupe, new Scion Tc, my gf and I decided to buy a used 2002 C230 instead. The car that we are picking up Saturday is a 2002 black with auto transmission and sunroof with 12K miles. The car is a cerified used car that will be under warranty for another 2.75 years/90K miles. The car also has free service for another 1.5 years. The c coupe will be our first MBZ, we will see how that works out.

Anyway I got a few questions for you guys as I am new to the MBZ world.

#1 Car is a late 2002 model, what are the things that I should look for when I get it?
#2 What is covered under the factory service thingy? Is it just the oil change at every 13000 miles?
#3 I noticed the tiptonic works a little funny. The display shows that it is in D most of the time until I start moving the stick. Is there anyway to have it display what gear you are in all the time? When I drive it, I would like to know what gear it is in so I dont shift into the wrong one.
#4 The part that concerns me the most is the engine. Although the car is under factory warranty, but the engine sounds very odd for a car with 12K miles. When you first start it, it runs like it has an exhaust leak. After about 10-15 sec, it would change to a lower mellower tone. I assume it is normal as I heard it on my friend's SLK 230, I assume it is some choke type of feature they put on the engine? Other than that, the engine sounded okay and the car has enough power to move around town.
#5 What can you see in the trip computer?
#6 Is it possible to add heated seats or HID easily?
#7 Do rims off other Mercedes model fit on the C230? What's the biggest I can have? Also can i fit the 17s and staggered tires onto our C230 without ruining the ABS or the traction control?

Sorry for all the questions, I Just want to get a head start on the car. Now we just need to get rid of the Corolla :v

Forgot to ask, this might sound odd, but my gf would like to have the MBZ badge on the hood sticking up instead of the flat one on the hood. I heard it is possible to swap it. Can someone give me more details on it

thanks

couple more question
#1 What's the smallest rim I can put on the car, 15? I want to get some snows. I am thinking about getting 195

Last edited by tmak26b; 11-15-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I'll try my best to answer what I can, though I have a sedan, not coupe.

#1 - not exactly sure what you're asking here, please clarify
#2 - regular scheduled maintenance (oil change, wipers, fluids, etc.) is covered, as well as warranty claims (faulty parts, etc.) but not wear and tear items like brake pads, rotors, etc.
#3 - I've never been able to view anything other than D when not manually shifting, but then again, I haven't really tried.
#4 - I notice my car idles very low when I first start it up and I've been meaning to ask my service advisor about this. It does seem to rev higher after a few minutes of driving though.
#5 - only things I've seen are your miles per gallon per trip and cumulative mpg, as well as the obvious miles per trip and cumulative miles.
#6 - HID's can be added quite easily, but will run you about $1,500. Most people on here seem to get them from Steve aka the Euro Parts Pimp (MBenzNL), but some have gotten them from Performance Products and other sources for decent prices. From what I've heard, the coupe bi-xenons are in shorter supply.
#7 - The biggest wheels I've seen on a C fit comfortably are 19's and smallest are 16's, which should be suitable for winter tires. Staggered wheels are very common and should not cause any problems.

I've heard several coupe members toy around with the idea of a stand-up star, but never seen it done. I think it would make the car look much less sporty and would look out of place with the star already in the grille.

Now dump the Corolla and enjoy! Happy modding...
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Curious to know what you are paying for this car and where you are located. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
In answer to question #4, the engine noise is normal for that year and model. Mine sounds exactly the same way on the initial start. When I leave my parking garage in the evening I hear grumbling and whining all the way to to top. It tapers off after a few minutes and is nothing to worry about. My 2002 has not had many major problems to speak of. The biggest ones were the sunroof shade sticking, so be sure to check that as soon as you get the car. The back half is what I was having a problem with and after 3 visits to the dealer it is finally fixed. Anything that you find, no matter how insignificant, get it to the dealer for repair. I took every little thing I found in and they always took care of me. The second major issue I had was a fuel pump which you cannot predict, it was just one of those things. Have fun with the new car.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by tmak26b
After debating between a new MINI, new C230 coupe, new Scion Tc, my gf and I decided to buy a used 2002 C230 instead.
The Cooper S and C230K were the final two in my list as well back in 02. I went with the Coupe, and have been very happy with it.
#1 Car is a late 2002 model, what are the things that I should look for when I get it?
Sway bar bushings. Most squeek, if yours don't, they did the TSB on it. Also check for cracked buttons on the left steering wheel control pod.

#2 What is covered under the factory service thingy? Is it just the oil change at every 13000 miles?
Everything but things like brake pads. Change the oil at 10K. Don't wait for the FSS to tell you. I'd change it even earlier if you drive hard.
Is there anyway to have it display what gear you are in all the time? When I drive it, I would like to know what gear it is in so I dont shift into the wrong one.
Nope. Also, you can't shift into the wrong gear. Its an automatic, it won't let you.

#4 The part that concerns me the most is the engine. Although the car is under factory warranty, but the engine sounds very odd for a car with 12K miles. When you first start it, it runs like it has an exhaust leak.
The sound you are hearing is the Catalyst preheat, its done by the supercharger running compressed and heated air thru a special bypass. Its a novel way to get improved emmissions. When the bypass closes, you hear the normal sound of the engine. To be honest, I hate this sound myself, but its not hurting anything.

The M111 is actually a great little engine. Its torquey as hell, and with the addition of an overboost pulley, the supercharger can rearly make this engine go.

#5 What can you see in the trip computer?
Too much to explain here. Read the manual. Its also fun to set it KHM and German.
#6 Is it possible to add heated seats or HID easily?
Yes, although the BiX is rather expensive(1200 bucks for true BIX). Seat heaters and a gazillion other goodies can be retrofitted rather easily.

#7 Do rims off other Mercedes model fit on the C230? What's the biggest I can have? Also can i fit the 17s and staggered tires onto our C230 without ruining the ABS or the traction control?
I wouldn't go larger than 18. The 17"C7's that come with most Coupes bearly clear the front spring retainers as it is. 16s are the smallest. Brakes are too big for anthing smaller. Look around, and you can get stock 16's really cheap, as most people hate the OEM cast alloys from a C240($200-300) or the stock 16's from a C320 or the base C230 Coupe(~400). Try the market place here, or better yet, MBKlasse.

Sorry for all the questions, I Just want to get a head start on the car. Now we just need to get rid of the Corolla :v
Keep it as a winterbeater. Come spring, your new car will thank you.

Forgot to ask, this might sound odd, but my gf would like to have the MBZ badge on the hood sticking up instead of the flat one on the hood.
Don't. 1st off, the star in the grille is the generally more desireable location, and historically correct for all MB Coupes for over 50 years. If she really wants the stand up star, buy a sedan. Plenty of sedan folks are trying to retorfit Coupe style grilles to have that look. Also, the stand up star is still a thing theives(normally ******* kids in your nieghborhood) want to steal.

Enjoy. And check out MBKlasse, its way better site for Coupe owners. Check out the 300HP Turbo Coupe.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=slcvr6]Curious to know what you are paying for this car and where you are located. Thanks.[/QUOTE}

20K in MA. Black on black. I think there is a white one in NH on MBZ's website with similar mileage asking for $23K. It's pricey than regular buy, but I get the extra 1 year warranty