C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Coolant leak and electrical issue rear side of engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
Coolant leak and electrical issue rear side of engine

The coolant pipe running along the left side of the engine recently cracked, replaced it with no issues, been driving for a month or so then the other day driving I had the coolant level light pop on, drove home (I was close, temps never went above normal). Got home, coolant leaking from under the car, from the center of the plastic liner under the transmission. So I figure this leak is behind the motor, no big deal, I'll jack it up, remove the plastic liner and check the hose, order new one and done. The kicker today though, my electrical system has had a parasitic draw for a while, car dies after a week or so of not driving, so I have a battery disconnect when I park. Today I went out to try and do a visual inspection of the leak, applied battery power and started smelling electrical fire and saw smoke coming up from the backside of the engine. Quickly shut off battery power, smoke went away. It is rather hard to see the rear end of the engine from up top but does anybody know what electrical harness runs back there that would be along the backside of the engine that would cause smoke or fire the moment battery power (ignition off) is applied? Could the coolant have leaked into a connector that runs on a hot circuit that is hot when the ignition is turned off? I'd provide a picture if I could get to it from above.