C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05 c230 SS stereo power rating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 WZ
05 c230 SS stereo power rating

Searched the forum and couldn't find any info on the current 2005 c230 stereos. I have the non-H/K stereo in my SS and was thinking about upgrading my crappy speakers. I DO NOT want to replace my head unit since I would like the factory look.

Didn't want to get the H/K upgrade on the car because it has it's "limits" on sound quality. So I was wondering if anyone knows:

1) Factory stereo power (watts) rating of the standard head unit?
2) Factory speakers power rating?
3) Does MB use seperate amps to power the speakers (like Bose) on the standard head units?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by MBc230
Searched the forum and couldn't find any info on the current 2005 c230 stereos. I have the non-H/K stereo in my SS and was thinking about upgrading my crappy speakers. I DO NOT want to replace my head unit since I would like the factory look.

Didn't want to get the H/K upgrade on the car because it has it's "limits" on sound quality. So I was wondering if anyone knows:

1) Factory stereo power (watts) rating of the standard head unit?
2) Factory speakers power rating?
3) Does MB use seperate amps to power the speakers (like Bose) on the standard head units?

Thanks.
Just curious... what difference does it make to you getting the information on the power ratings? If you're going to replace the speakers, the original speaker power rating makes no difference. The head unit power rating shouldn't make any difference either... if your output is lower than your speaker rating, the amp can blow out the speaker with distortion and clipped output. If the output is significantly higher than the speaker, then the amp can blow out the speaker with overcurrent.

In any case, ratings are 90% marketing, and if you're lucky, 10% truth.

And to answer #3, on the C-class, MB has only ever used ONE amplifier per car with Bose, so I am not sure if you are asking if there is ONE separate amp, or multiple separate amps in the car (there's a pervasive myth perpetuated by bad installers that MB uses an amplifier at each speaker with Bose, which is completely untrue).

If you just replace the speakers with something decent, the power rating is not going to matter, until you add your own amplifier.

-s-
Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
piggybacking this old thread...

Has anyone done this yet. I'd like to do this as well....just a simple speaker replacement to get a slightly more clarity.

If so, what's the recommended brand?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:05 AM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
bump*