C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 Oil Change DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Mercedes-Benz C180K
W203 Oil Change DIY

I am a newbie to Mercs. Bought my first C180K sedan in June this year.

I would like to do my own oil changes between scheduled services but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. There does not appear to be a dip stick to check the oil level from within the engine bay. Do I need to continually check the level from the dash console?

Where can I find the oil filter? Is it an insert type or screw on type cartridge?

Sorry about these silly questions. I use to do my own oil changes on japanese cars which are very straight forward.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:45 PM

c240
search the forum there have been extensive discussions on what tools you need and different ways to do it. i would tell you how but i dont know so search the forum it'll be quicker and the moderator's wont flame you
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
Originally Posted by sichew
I am a newbie to Mercs. Bought my first C180K sedan in June this year.

I would like to do my own oil changes between scheduled services but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. There does not appear to be a dip stick to check the oil level from within the engine bay. Do I need to continually check the level from the dash console?

Where can I find the oil filter? Is it an insert type or screw on type cartridge?

Sorry about these silly questions. I use to do my own oil changes on japanese cars which are very straight forward.

Go to your local Mercedes Dealer and buy the oil filter for your car in the parts department.

As for checking oil levels....our cars do not come with a dipstick. But the owners manual will list how many quarts of Engine oil your car needs. And there should be scale on the bottle of the engine oil that you purchase and pour engine oil slowly using the scale on the bottle. After you are done go inside your car and run engine for a minute or two....then shut off engine and check the oil level using the onboard computer.

I came from Japanese cars too.....I use to have a 2k2 Nissan Maxima 6spd.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 AM

CLK320
One word of caution for DIY - if you have a warranty issue down the road they may claim that you did not change your oil when you were supposed to and the warranty is void.

If Joe's Garage changed your oil and you have a receipt (with mileage indicated), that is proof that any judge will accept; if you have a receipt from an automotive supply store for oil, that doesn't prove when it was changed if ever.

If your out of warranty, by all means DIY.