C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Dealer made my rattle worse!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55, Black on Black
Dealer made my rattle worse!

I should have heeded the warnings of others on this board and tried just fixing myself. Had car in for Service A last week, told the dealer look at a rattle or squeak over bumps comng from the cupholder area (no doubt from where the metal trim meets the console. Service report said "heard noise, finallly fixed by refastening lower panel." Of course now it squeaks even more. Only time it's quiet now is on the highway.

Gonna try the DIY fix posted here a couple of weeks back, if I can find "thin cardboard." The only cardboard I've ever seen is the standard 1/4 inch thick kind for boxes.

Anyone think the metal trim causes more problems than the wood? Seems that it may tend to make more of a racket. Perhaps I'll replace the whole thing with a very hip "black felt trim." Soft to the touch, and I'd like to see that rattle over bumps!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:13 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
See if you can get your hands on this product....
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I'm the one who posted the rattle DIY and you can pretty much use anything, electric tape, any cardboard, anything that can make a bit of pressure and prevent plastics from touchig each other.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 AM

2005 C230K
Originally Posted by r_liebo
I should have heeded the warnings of others on this board and tried just fixing myself. Had car in for Service A last week, told the dealer look at a rattle or squeak over bumps comng from the cupholder area (no doubt from where the metal trim meets the console. Service report said "heard noise, finallly fixed by refastening lower panel." Of course now it squeaks even more. Only time it's quiet now is on the highway.

Gonna try the DIY fix posted here a couple of weeks back, if I can find "thin cardboard." The only cardboard I've ever seen is the standard 1/4 inch thick kind for boxes.

Anyone think the metal trim causes more problems than the wood? Seems that it may tend to make more of a racket. Perhaps I'll replace the whole thing with a very hip "black felt trim." Soft to the touch, and I'd like to see that rattle over bumps!
if you ever get rid of the trim can i buy it i hv the wood trim and i hate it
Old 12-17-2004, 09:34 AM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally Posted by Narcissus
See if you can get your hands on this product....
http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I'm the one who posted the rattle DIY and you can pretty much use anything, electric tape, any cardboard, anything that can make a bit of pressure and prevent plastics from touchig each other.
Thanks. Can you tell me further about the product? That link is dead, unfortunately. What is it called?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:02 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by r_liebo
Thanks. Can you tell me further about the product? That link is dead, unfortunately. What is it called?
ohh ok.. sorry, doa search in google for 3M and rattle

you'll find the product, pretty good