C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230 Ss Hk Sound Settings??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 SS
Question 2005 C230 Ss Hk Sound Settings??

For all who have the HK upgraded sound system in your 2005, what are the best settings to leave the system on?

I do not want to blow my speakers but I do want a good solid bass sound, does anybody have any recommendations with what works and what doesn't...? I listen to just about everything but primarily R&B, Hip Hop, and Pop.

I am looking for the perfect settings for:
- great sound quality
- and not having to worry if I am going to blow a speaker

Thanks....
Old 12-14-2004, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
the logic 7 setting works for me.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by mick1
the logic 7 setting works for me.
I think he means Bass/Treble numbers...

I want to know that too!

I currently use "surround" mode and Bass: 2 and Treble: 1, but I don't know squat.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
oh okay i didn't change anything (default setting) but it still sounds great. much better than the h/k system on my last bmw.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 AM

2005 C230 SS
Bass / Treble

The feedback I was looking for is more individual specifics - such as bass, treble, and certain modes....thanks for all the current replies...

So Mick1 did not change any settings for his sound system and it sounds great...good feedback... thanks

Last edited by MCONDE01; 12-15-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230WZ
I usually listen to the same music as you and I usually have it on 6 for Bass and 3 for Treble and it sounds good to me. The bass isn't TOO hard, but w/ certain songs you can hear the rear sunshade rattle a bit.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned

Hi MCONDE01 ,I know exactly what you are talking about. I find the system to have a lot of bass. It also feels like my speakers are about to blow when its too high. Also the back window starts vibrating. Here is what I found to be the best setting for me after messing and trying differing settings. First I have my Bass at a ( - 8 ) yes thats a negative because the sub has a lot of bass and I feel it takes way from the songs. Second my Treble is at ( + 3 ). Third the FADER is at ( - 3 ). Use the fader to help you move the sound from the back to the front a little and that will help with the bass issue in the back. I also have mine set to surround sound. Speech is used for like news, talk shows, etc... Honestly, even when you do all that you will still get some bass and you will not be totatly satisfied. But thats the best that I got it to. It all depends on what you were used to in your previous car. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:24 AM

2005 C230 SS
HK Sound

Thanks for the feedback everyone...I will let you know what I come up with
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 AM

'05 C230wz SS Black on Black
I've got the H/K upgrade.

As far as speaker settings, I play techno and hvy metal much of the time. Leave it on Surround Setting and I keep Bass at +7 and Treble at +8. I keep the volume steady to loud and the speakers have held up well.

PROBLEMS SO FAR:
- since new, the Number 4 and Number 7 keys were sticking when pressed. MB dealer easily replaced the entire head unit for me. (which was nice since someone at a car wash detailed the inside and used something abrasive that scratched the plastic cover on the LCD screen). I wish there was some kind of plastic-like PDA type cover laminate to place over the screen during the week to keep in from picking up minor abrasions.
- after the head unit was replaced, the front center surround speaker gave a good amount of feedback regardless of volume or bass setting
- dealer said they performed a "flash" test of the system. found an error wit the center front speaker. SO i go pick up the car, and the speaker works fine in Standard mode, but has the same problem in Surround mode. waiting next service to take the car in.

NO charge for either stop at the dealership for speaker/stereo work.

Car is serviced at Park Place in Dallas, Texas.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
oh? too much bass? i find the h/k system has no bass. problem is the rattles, thats why it sounds like it has too much. its a decent system, but it dont compare to my old car with a full aftermarket system. the h/k has pretty good highs, decent mids, and terrible bass imho. i hate the way the rear panel rattles. my old 1996 honda never rattled this bad and it had two 12" woofers! ill take it to the dealer and complain, myabe they can do something about it.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 AM

2005 C230 SS
My back panel rattles a lot as well....it is driving me crazy because just about every song i blast the back panel has this annoying rattle..i have brought it to the dealer and complained, the first time they replaced the entire back speaker box....then after about a month the rattling came back...i brought it back again and now they say that the kind of music i listen to has too much bass and that is what is causing the rattling....they told me the hk system is not built for a lot of bass....not for anything but my upgraded monsoon sound system in my previous vw jetta never gave me problems and always sounded good...what a shame...the next time i bring my car in for sevice i am going to speak with the service mgr about this issue...very disappointed with the hk system to say the least
Old 01-09-2006, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by MCONDE01
My back panel rattles a lot as well....it is driving me crazy because just about every song i blast the back panel has this annoying rattle..i have brought it to the dealer and complained, the first time they replaced the entire back speaker box....then after about a month the rattling came back...i brought it back again and now they say that the kind of music i listen to has too much bass and that is what is causing the rattling....they told me the hk system is not built for a lot of bass....not for anything but my upgraded monsoon sound system in my previous vw jetta never gave me problems and always sounded good...what a shame...the next time i bring my car in for sevice i am going to speak with the service mgr about this issue...very disappointed with the hk system to say the least
I have found what that rattle is (and posted it in the rattle thread). It is the speaker grille over the sub. Put in a bass test CD or a song with alot of bass and push down on the grill in different directions to see if it goes away... I havent found a fix yet, but it doesnt make that much noise anymore since I adjusted the settings on my radio, plus I usually only listen to rock (all forms) so it doesnt happen often.