C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Questions on XM Radio install in ’01 C240…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 6-speed
Question Questions on XM Radio install in ’01 C240…

Hello all. This is my first post here and I hope that I am doing this correctly. If not, my apologies. Yes, I have searched the forum for this subject but need some guidance.

I have a 2001 C240 6-speed with the non-COMAND head unit & CD changer. I’d like to install my new XM Roady2 myself and make it look more professional than the ‘temporary’ install I did just after Christmas.

I plan to place the XM receiver in the ashtray and would like to wire it so that I don’t have to use the stupid adapter in the cigarette lighter, which is just behind my shifter. The Roady2 has the FM modulator.

Here are my questions:
1. Does the standard (non-COMAND) head unit have an AUX input?
2. If so, I have seen other posts on here saying that an adaptor such as the Delphi SA10003 [http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/produ...type=Accessory won’t work because of the fiber optics. Is this true?
3. Will I have to remove the radio to access the AUX input?
4. If so, where can I buy the radio removal keys, and do I have to have a code to reinstall?
5. Antenna placement: I have seen various threads addressing this. I have the small (approx 1”x1”) magnetic antenna. Right now I have it running through my sunroof, but would prefer to have it somewhere less obtrusive. I’ve read posts from some members here who have installed the antenna on the rear parcel shelf between the speakers. Any thoughts?
6. Power supply: The installation dept. manager at Circuit City said it was ‘impossible’ to install the Roady2 without the cigarette lighter adapter because the receiver is 6V and the electrical system is of course 12V. The word impossible is not in my vocabulary, so I’d like to know if anyone has found a way around this. Maybe there’s a 6V-12V adapter that I could buy and wire directly into the cig lighter’s wiring?
7. Last question: I’ve also seen a thread here that mentions an Auxiliary Wiring Harness from MB. If I absolutely must have this (see question 2), what is the MB part number and approx. cost?
Thanks in advance for all of your assistance and suggestions.
Cordially,
V.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
As far as the power supply goes, I just installed that same unit in my Mom's MDX Friday. What I did for the power suppy is I soldered two wires to the plug because its not just a resistor in there to step down the voltage, it's a circuit. Unscrew the end cap, take out the spring and flip the metal nipple upside down and screw back together. Solder your red wire to the metal nipple, and the black to one of the side contacts. Then wrap it in electrical tape to protect it from shorts. BTW, take out the metal nipple contact out when you solder, makes it alot easier and protects the fuse from burning up and also melting the plastic housing. Good luck with your install.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Does the standard (non-COMAND) head unit have an AUX input? NO

2. If so, I have seen other posts on here saying that an adaptor such as the Delphi SA10003 [http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/prod...&type=Accessory won’t work because of the fiber optics. Is this true? Yes, get that and don't forget 2 antena adapters.

3. Will I have to remove the radio to access the AUX input? No Aux input, but you do remove the radio to install the Delphi FM Modulator and antena adapters

4. If so, where can I buy the radio removal keys, and do I have to have a code to reinstall? Radios don't have codes, where did you hear that?

5. Antenna placement: I have seen various threads addressing this. I have the small (approx 1”x1”) magnetic antenna. Right now I have it running through my sunroof, but would prefer to have it somewhere less obtrusive. I’ve read posts from some members here who have installed the antenna on the rear parcel shelf between the speakers. Any thoughts? I installed mine under the dash pad, above the instrument cluster.

6. Power supply: The installation dept. manager at Circuit City said it was ‘impossible’ to install the Roady2 without the cigarette lighter adapter because the receiver is 6V and the electrical system is of course 12V. The word impossible is not in my vocabulary, so I’d like to know if anyone has found a way around this. Maybe there’s a 6V-12V adapter that I could buy and wire directly into the cig lighter’s wiring?
7. Last question: I’ve also seen a thread here that mentions an Auxiliary Wiring Harness from MB. If I absolutely must have this (see question 2), what is the MB part number and approx. cost? The Delphi FM Modulator uses 12V and attach that to the really thin black wire on the small block connector.

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance and suggestions.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:11 PM

2001 C240 6-speed
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
As far as the power supply goes, I just installed that same unit in my Mom's MDX Friday. What I did for the power suppy is I soldered two wires to the plug because its not just a resistor in there to step down the voltage, it's a circuit. Unscrew the end cap, take out the spring and flip the metal nipple upside down and screw back together. Solder your red wire to the metal nipple, and the black to one of the side contacts. Then wrap it in electrical tape to protect it from shorts. BTW, take out the metal nipple contact out when you solder, makes it alot easier and protects the fuse from burning up and also melting the plastic housing. Good luck with your install.
Very helpful tips!
Sounds easy enough to do, but I probably would have found out the hard way about both the circuitry & blowing the fuse.
Thanks very much. I should get to working on it this weekend.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:22 PM

2001 C240 6-speed
Recapping your responses, just to make sure I'm on the same page:

- NO AUX input.
- Get the Delphi SA10003 adapter and 2 antenna adapters. These will work with my unit.
- Must remove the radio to install the Delphi FM Modulator and antenna adapters.
- My last car, a Volvo, had codes. I thought I had read a thread here discussing the codes for MB radios that only the dealer would have. I could be mistaken.
- "Under the dash pad, above the instrument cluster". Sounds good, I will check that out.
- "The Delphi FM Modulator uses 12V and attach that to the really thin black wire on the small block connector." Not sure what you mean re: small block connector, but I'm pretty sure the Delphi part will have some instructions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the thread!

Regards,
V.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:26 AM

2001 C240 6-speed
bump