C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

increased rev limiter???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 kompressor C2 C7
increased rev limiter???

I talked to the socal rep for upsolute on friday. among other things we discussed upping the rev limiter when i have my ecu reprogramed. i am not sure of how conservative mb was when they established the current redline. I believe it is currently 6200 rpms, but it looks like 6000 on the tach. so what do you guys think? i am also going to have the speed limiter removed when the software is installed. there is no reason to do this except for bragging rights and getting in trouble.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do these mods effect the warranty at all?
Old 06-02-2002, 11:44 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i am certain this would affect the warranty if the dealer found out, but they can only tell visually. and upsolute is working on a fix for that
Old 06-03-2002, 12:20 AM

2002 C230k
Are you going to make any mods that can benefit from the engine spinning faster?

Seems kinda silly to up the revs if the engine isn't going to be making power there anyway... I mean sure, maybe you can spin to 7000rpm, but if power starts to drop off at 5700, why bother? (I'm just making the numbers up by the way, I have no idea what the power/torque curves looks like)
Old 06-03-2002, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
rev limiter

The M111 engine has a rev limiter for a reason - its internal parts are not designed to exceed certain rpm thresholds. This is probably for good physical reasons, such as engine balance (or the lack thereof) and other fun stuff possibly including valve float/bounce. Meaning if you raise the rev limiter threshold without doing internal engine modifications to compensate, you could be creating a very expensive problem.

Aside from that, as spyke wrote, you will not benefit from spinning this engine faster, even if it could sustain it, unless you have recalibrated the engine to take advantage of a higher rev limit. In most cases this would involve head work, new cams, reprogramming the ECU, doing something about the supercharger, fitting uprated injectors (most likely) and a host of other stuff, the total bill for which would only serve to remind you that you should have bought a C32 in the first place
Old 06-03-2002, 09:37 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: rev limiter

Originally posted by Mike T.

Aside from that, as spyke wrote, you will not benefit from spinning this engine faster, even if it could sustain it, unless you have recalibrated the engine to take advantage of a higher rev limit. In most cases this would involve head work, new cams, reprogramming the ECU, doing something about the supercharger, fitting uprated injectors (most likely) and a host of other stuff, the total bill for which would only serve to remind you that you should have bought a C32 in the first place
I'm sure that the engine can handle 500 more RPM's but with out changeing the supercharger It's a lost cause. The coupe is allready falling off at the current red line. More RPM's will only produce more heat and draw in the engin for m the supercharger.

Randy
Old 06-03-2002, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: rev limiter

Originally posted by Mike T.
... and other fun stuff possibly including valve float/bounce.
In my old Chevy, floating the valves WAS the rev limiter - none of this newfangled com-puter technology.

BT
Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by sdcaclint
i am certain this would affect the warranty if the dealer found out, but they can only tell visually. and upsolute is working on a fix for that
I believe this is incorrect. Unless you know how the firmware is programmed in the ECU the dealer would have little trouble knowing if you messed with engine performance parameters. Do you really think they would make it easy to blow your engine and have you plead innocent. No way. They can tell.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:21 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
i guess i should have added that i am planning on doing the pulley along with the software. i don't want to have to have the software updated later, i want to get it right the first time. i realize that mb put the rev limiter there for protection. i was just asking for some feedback on how conservative the redline was. i believe the increased size pulley is good for an additional 4 psi, or a total of 10psi. can someone confirm this. i am liking the ring pulley (until someone can confirm that a light weight weight one is as safe as the ring)