C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil level readout in dyno mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Oil level readout in dyno mode

When I go to the "Dyno mode" access screens and look a the oil-level readout it says 5.6 qts with the engine off on level ground. The instructions someone posted here said it should read around 7.5 but I don't know which engine he was refering to.

The level on my dipstick is a little below full (I'm only about 1/2 quart low).

Isn't the capacity of the C230K somewhere around 8 quarts (or liters)?

Why does my screen say 5.6 and why is it in quarts when everything else on the car uses metric units?

What does your screen say?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
How do you get to that again?

My normal oil level indicator said that I was down a quart and a half, but the dipstick said that it was about middle-way down the "OK" area. Does that sound right? Sounds like I should be down less than that on the readout to me.

I'm getting my first Service A done on Thursday anyway, but I'm still concerned about the oil consumption on my baby.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I knew someone would ask...

From someone else:

Key in Position 1 press and hold the left cluster knob for approx. 20 secs (until you hear a beep)

Turn key to position 2 and hit the PAGE down key on the steering wheel. (don't mistake this for the arrow down key) depending on where you where at when you started, you may have to hit page down a few times to bring up the correct "test mode" of the IC.

You will know it when you see it, it will have software version etc.. it will also have an accurate measuring reading of the oil in the crankcase. Make sure you run the car and get it hot, then let it sit for a few minutes (yes you may start the car with this screen on) After sitting on level ground for a few minutes you want of reading of about 7.3-7.5 if you are under/over this may trigger a low/high oil light on.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Procedure: Insert key and rotate to pos.1. Press and hold the odometer reset/dash lighting level button (left side of inst. cluster) for 20-40 secs, until "Beep." Then, press "Page Down" button on steering wheel (lower right button on lefthand cluster). Screen appears. Oil level should read -.- qts. Turn key to pos.2, and watch as oil level is posted. You can later turn to pos.3 (start car) to watch the level drop 1/2 qt. as filter is filled. BTW, this procedure resets your main trip odometer to zero.

8qts is the oil level for the sedan v6s... don't remember the level for the 4-banger, but it's somewhat less. My reading was always 8 qts, until I got my Service A last week. Now it reads 6.9 qts. Seems the dealer is skimping on the Mobil 1 (typical). I'll have to show this technique to them when I go back. It's a shame that we owners know more about these cars than the average dealer service dept.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 06-03-2002 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
The manual says the capacity is 7.4 US quarts.

Last edited by avlis; 06-03-2002 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
OK, thanks. I'll check it out when I'm doing errands at lunchtime.

OT: from this group, only Columbus and WebGuyNJ showed up to the meet on Sat. Wyatt blew us off, and I really wanted to see that Kleemann setup. There were about 15 Benzes there - pics over at Benzsport (yes, it's back up and running finally). James had the A10, which even looks better than the stock HU. Chris had a really cool GPS setup with his Compaq palmish thingy (forget what they call theirs) that he had mounted on the right side of the center console - looked really nice. And I got lots o' comments about the smurf leather, of course.

Buellwinkle and GG did not drive over for the meet, even though they were the two who posted the most on the thread. Just think of all of the free car washes that Buell could have gotten by driving cross-country.