C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket radio details for 04 SC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Aftermarket radio details for 04 SC

Before everyone decides to jump on with STFF posts, let me explain.

I spent a good three hours searching the forum for the following information. Unfortunately, everything I was able to find (and there was a lot of information, let me tell you) was sorely out of date, links to wiring diagrams were broken, links to product pages were also broken, and posted pics were deleted. Thus, I am braving this forum once again to ask a question. I think I've worked long enough. Now I'm asking for your help.

I have decided to go aftermarket with my HU in my 2004 C230 SC with the standard, non-Bose unit. I would like the following information, if anyone has it, please:

1. What is (in your opinion) the best bezel (the mounting adapter) for the best price for an aftermarket radio, and where could I get it?

2. I have read that a VW harness may be used for the Becker HU units, but no mention of a part number, nor any compatibilty with the Alpine stock HU wiring in the '04s could be found. Could someone please clarify which VW wiring harness could be used and where it can be found?

3. Someone mentioned a problem about powering the antenna and how they couldn't get reception without some sort of 12V power to the antenna. Has anyone else had this problem, and what was your solution?

4. Wiring diagrams for this model year are hard to come by. The only thing I could find was one for the 02 model that worked with a Becker, and I'm not sure that this will work with the current setup. If anyone has AllData or something like it could someone post a link or a picture of the wiring pinout for the 04 W203?

5. I have read that there is an adapter for Alpine units to preserve the steering wheel controls. First, I'd like to know where I can find such a thing. Repeated google searches and searches of Alpine's site yield nothing, yet someone had linked to the product page that no longer exists. Second, I'd like to know what someone's experience with this setup was, please.

6. I was able to find a listing for a similar unit from Pioneer for their head units, but no dealer was able to find the part for me. Has anyone had any experience with such a unit from Pioneer which preserves steering wheel controls?

Thanks for taking the time for reading all that. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by jedcred; 01-29-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
1) AFAIK there was only 1 ever mentioned, forgot name. Some guy on the audio forum did a custom one.

2) Wiring hookup didn't change between units.

4) Scorchies posted a pinout several times. See 2

5) European addition. Might go search their site or ask our Euro members like cliffy, etc.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
For number 6, I had the same problem with the Pioneer AUX adapter. Look for it online, go to google and put the part number in with " " around it. Thats the best way. The dealers didnt even know what I was talking about!!!

Here is the Alpine control...
http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/...t_mercedes.htm

Last edited by Capt Nemo o2; 01-29-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: add a link
Old 01-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. So would you say that this wiring diagram is correct and will work?

http://www.budget.net/%7esura/Audio10PinOuts.pdf
Old 01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Can't remember exactly what scorchie posted. I slept since then. Best bet would be for you to search out his thread and compare. I'm too lazy for that.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 PM

So I installed my Pioneer DEH-P5500MP last weekend and I'm very happy with the result, but I'm still curious about a few things and wasn't able to find an answer on the forums.

1. I wasn't able to find an ACC switched +12V power source on the "B" connector (in the previously mentioned wiring diagram). I ended up taking out my cigarette lighter, putting a fused plug in there, and using that wire (I stuffed the entire assembly to the left of the shifter). Unfortuantly this leaves me without a cigarette lighter to power the pump for the spare tire. Is there anywhere else where I could pull a switched 12V power back there that I might have missed?

2. I've been looking at changing the speakers, but I'm not a speaker expert, so I don't know much about the topic. I've been reading about speaker adaptors and certain speaker types (crossovers and midranges). I'm pretty sure the front speakers are 6.5 inches while the rears are 5 inches. I'm wondering if these measurements are correct and what "type" they are.

BTW, here's stuff I learned that hasen't been posted on the forums yet, for future reference:

Good Guys and Circuit City usually have both the wiring harness, the dash kit, and the antenna adaptor for pretty cheap. The wiring harness is from Schorchie (sp?) and is officially for VWs from 1987-2002 (not the newest one, but one right before) for about $15. They have the dash kit (just ask for Mercedes C from 2002-2004) for about $20. They also have the antenna adaptor for about $15. It comes with a power line for an antenna booster, but I didn't need it cause my radio already powers the antenna for me.