C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Electrical problems, malfunction shows in MFD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2005 | 11:24 AM

2002 C320 (full AMG styling) - Brilliant Silver / Ash Leather (Orion Grey)
Electrical problems, malfunction shows in MFD

Hi,

After months of trouble free motoring I seem to have experienced my first electrical fault with my 2002 C320 Sedan.

Whilst driving along yesterday (with some friends to add to the embarrasment!) I heared a bleep and the MFD glowed red and said 'Warning Engine hood open' with a picture showing the engine hood (bonnet for us in the UK) open. The MFD then displays 1 Malfunction. The strange thing is that it doesn't seem to log this. It will change from 1 Malfunction to No malfunction whilst scrolling through the options!

Also on the same journey the front wipers jsut stopped working whilst I was stationary. I've got rain sensing wipers and they were wiping but as I stopped at some traffic lights they just parked in the upright position. Flicking / rotating the switch or spraying the windsheild didn't have any effect, the wipers stayed parked in the upright or mid sweep position. As soon as I drove off again the wipers started again!.

Anyone else come across this before? I've searched the forum for the error message I have and also looked at mbclub.co.uk. Can't see anything other than links to other electrical faults with the W203!.

I think that both of the faults may be linked, as I've not come across either of them before. Any ideas what it might be, I figured a faulty switch for the engine hood?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:02 AM
Almost a Member!

Ur car s still under warranty - take it down to Stealership who will plug in Star Diaghnostics and see what is wrong.

Rain sensing wipers may just need "reinitialisation" from stat - not sure about the probelem with the boonet though -
Old 02-08-2005 | 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Flash
Ur car s still under warranty - take it down to Stealership who will plug in Star Diaghnostics and see what is wrong.

Rain sensing wipers may just need "reinitialisation" from stat - not sure about the probelem with the boonet though -
Yep, it's still under warranty, just thought someone on here may have had the problem vefore (like the ABS / BAS light issue!) Anyway it's booked to go in on Thursday, will update on here what they find...
Old 02-08-2005 | 12:50 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Maybe twice a year, I would get the RED MFD display that tells me the oil is overfull. Seems to happen after a long drive whten engine is hot and ambient temp is hot. Resets when you stop the engine.

At 36,000 miles, I just started to get the "Brake Lining Wear" indicator. This one, however is VERY perisitent. Every time I apply the Brakes, I get the notice. I can click it away by selecting another MFD display, but it returns after only 20 seconds or so (within a millisecond of when I touch the brakes). I wish it would only display once per engine start.

New brake pads are on order and I hope they get here before I lose my patience with the constant warnings.
Old 02-14-2005 | 03:45 PM

I got the car back on Friday night. The two problems 'Engine hood open' & the wipers were traced back to the same source. The service advisor didn't know exactly what I was told that they didn't have to change any parts. Apparantly they needed to adjust or reset a switch.

Will try to find out a bit more. Anyways it's back to normal now & my car has been valeted at the same time