C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CF hood for 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Outland
Bull****. THe hood does nothing. Its the structure that's underneath that saves your hides. A latch in the front, no points connected on the sides, and two chincy struts in the back....its not doing anything. You could destroy the hood with your bare hands.
Most of the car when taken individually can be easily deformed. The protection comes from the sum of the parts, not one specific part. Most people don't realize the hood, like the windshield, is a structural member, but it is.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
That's why everyone hates this forumn. Instead of saying, I'm in, or no thanks....they want you to crash test the emmereffer. People will ****ing argue that the stupid can lid is gonna absorb an impact and save your life. Geezus people... Anyway Nuk, sorry your thread got hijacked. Capt Nemo, thanks for speaking up. Its nice to know someone else out there knows a little about car construction.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Its nice to know someone else out there knows a little about car construction.

LMAO! this is funny.

btw, i find it funny people post here and say they hate it.... I don't think this place has over 22,000 members for no reason.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
LMAO! this is funny.

btw, i find it funny people post here and say they hate it.... I don't think this place has over 22,000 members for no reason.
I don't think it is this forum in general, however, in waves, the c-class w203 forum specifically, gets a bit flakey. It is disheartening that I will post something of forum merit, such as a discussion regarding roll-centers and MacP strut performance characteristics, and only a handful of people respond, always the same hardcore people I learn from. If I pshop three sets of wheels onto a lowered tirerack wheel selector image and ask opinions, it's got 4-5 pages in 20 minutes. A handful of us should get together and create the "automotive forum etiquette handbook" and make millions. Though, I love the forums, I have met many very good people, and some I am thankful I only know here. It has provided a unique opportunity for me to learn, and share. Some time in 2002 I gave people a great laugh when I asked if the 2.3l I4 could be bored out to 2.6l like the motor in the C240, not knowing it was a V6.

The CF can be had if we get 10 people who will prepay for a OEM replica hood. No variants from OEM will be made at this time.

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting decapitated by your CF hood, if we get one.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
If the force of an acident was applied to the hood at its edge and parallel to the hood, theoretically it could shear at its connections (the bolts) and be sent aft into the ****pit.
I just noticed! They sensored C0CKPIT!!! LOL!!! Its not like I said ****y **** **** ****y ****!!! JEEZ! Anyway... Hey, if I had a coupe, and the $$$ I would add me to the list! Not even for just A-Xing, the lighter hood helps out a little with the weight distribution, for better handling in corners. Good luck getting the hood...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
I just noticed! They sensored C0CKPIT!!! LOL!!! Its not like I said ****y **** **** ****y ****!!! JEEZ! Anyway... Hey, if I had a coupe, and the $$$ I would add me to the list! Not even for just A-Xing, the lighter hood helps out a little with the weight distribution, for better handling in corners. Good luck getting the hood...
Censorship is a ****ing mother****er, ain't it the mother ****ing truth?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:17 AM
taylor192

Originally Posted by nukblazi
I don't think it is this forum in general, however, in waves, the c-class w203 forum specifically, gets a bit flakey.
There's 5 types here:
1. The non-modders who drive their stock MBs and praise god that they have a 'luxury' car and wouldn't think twice about possibly voiding the warranty
2. The 'wanna-be' modders who add clear corners, tint, bixenons, clear fogs and think their car is god's gift to MBs.
3. The bargain buyers who bought their C-class cause it was a good deal for the cash, yet don't have much extra to spend on mods.
4. The entusiasts who know tons about the car.
5. The 'gotta have it at any price' modders.

Unfortunately not many of 4 or 5 own a C-class so this deal may never happen.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by taylor192
There's 5 types here:
1. The non-modders who drive their stock MBs and praise god that they have a 'luxury' car and wouldn't think twice about possibly voiding the warranty
2. The 'wanna-be' modders who add clear corners, tint, bixenons, clear fogs and think their car is god's gift to MBs.
3. The bargain buyers who bought their C-class cause it was a good deal for the cash, yet don't have much extra to spend on mods.

HAHAHA! 1-3 is hilarious! and yet, seems true.....
Old 02-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
There's 5 types here:

I'd just like to add one more type of person to your list.

6. People who respect what MB has done right, yet fix what MB has done wrong.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:58 PM

05-C230SC
There's 5 types here:

That's funny....

I would seperate #2, IMO there is a difference in 'wana-be' modding and 'light-weight' modding. This perhaps ties in with what "jedcred" said. I know I enjoy changing smaller, less-extreme parts that complete the vehicle's look and feel.

wana-be: adding parts that are both: make universal and commonly found on Hondas
lightweight: adding elegant finishing touches, like AMG rims

I just don't think that anyone who gets rid of the 'GHAY' amber sidemarker on their car should be labeled as a 'wana-be'

$0.02
Old 02-09-2005, 07:46 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Deutscher_Wagen
I just don't think that anyone who gets rid of the 'GHAY' amber sidemarker on their car should be labeled as a 'wana-be'
nuk, sorry to ruin your thread...

<start rant>

The major complaint about a CF hood is that its 'rice'. Well guess what most modders here are no better than the other 'ricers' who put white-bulbs and clear-lenses on every part of their 'rice rockets' and upgrade parts to resemble up-scale models.

The most common mod around here is BiX. Personally I wouldn't spend $1K on upgrading my already blindlingly bright halogens to BiX just for the appearance of 'luxury'. I'd rather spend it on a cool CF hood and a custom paint job (similar to silvaC32's).

AMG anything (that includes wheels) on a non-AMG car is as ridiculous as the rebadged 'rice-rockets' yet we all pretend otherwise. Yes I have AMG parts/badges on my car, and I don't care! I want the ricer CF hood too! Just wait until the CF wing goes on this spring, people here will have a heart attack!

<end rant>
Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
nuk, sorry to ruin your thread...

<start rant>

The most common mod around here is BiX. Personally I wouldn't spend $1K on upgrading my already blindlingly bright halogens to BiX just for the appearance of 'luxury'.
Xenons throw as much as 200% more light on the road. How about that for a reason? Once you see it in action, you will never refer to the halogens as "blindingly bright".

AMG anything (that includes wheels) on a non-AMG car is as ridiculous as the rebadged 'rice-rockets' yet we all pretend otherwise.
AMG badges are certainly ridiculous, but why would suspension parts be?

Last edited by vadim; 02-09-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:30 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by vadim
Xenons throw as much as 200% more light on the road. How about that for a reason? Once you see it in action, you will never refer to the halogens as "blindingly bright".
I have had loaners with BiX and I'm not convinced. If we did a poll, you'd find more than 50% (probably more like 90%) have done this mod for 'looks' and 'luxury', not light output. I don't want to ruin this thread more than I have... yet it looks like its going nowhere anyways... sorry nuk. Hopefully MBKlasse has more interested members... what about BenzWorld?

AMG badges are certainly ridiculous, but why would suspension parts be?
Wheels were mentioned. Wheels are the easiest ways to spot an AMG (since the body-styling is suttle), yet lets count how may have AMG wheels on non-AMG cars.

I'm not trying to insult anyone - just pointing out there's lots of 'rice' around here, and it ain't all CF hoods! :p
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Wheels were mentioned. Wheels are the easiest ways to spot an AMG (since the body-styling is suttle), yet lets count how may have AMG wheels on non-AMG cars.

I'm not trying to insult anyone - just pointing out there's lots of 'rice' around here, and it ain't all CF hoods! :p
Re-read your post. You wrote "AMG anything... on a non-AMG car...". BTW, I do not think there is anything wrong with putting AMG wheels on a non-AMG car. Just consider them after-market. Anything AMG is ok, as long as you do not put AMG badges on - this is where the lying begins.

CF hood is a serious and expensive (and likely not DIY) mod that alters the look quite noticeably. It screams "street racing", but it sure needs to be backed up by other proper attributes of such (tight suspension, decent rims, beefed-up engine, exhaust, etc.).

That's why it is so difficult to find co-buyers. This crowd is indeed mostly into "cheap-blue-bulb-that-looks-like-Xenon" type of mods.

I would consider it myself, if: 1. it could be painted in original color and not cost me an arm and a leg at that; 2. it provided dramatic weight gain; 3. it could be easily mounted w/o having to ruin the original hood; 4. it provided the same type of thermo insulation the original one does (if it gets hot from the engine than the paint will be ruined very soon).

Last edited by vadim; 02-09-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!

Well, some of the Mercedes with sport packages come with the AMG wheels. Or others like my CLK430 or even the CLK500.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:28 PM
taylor192

Re-read your post. You wrote "AMG anything... on a non-AMG car...". BTW, I do not think there is anything wrong with putting AMG wheels on a non-AMG car. Just consider them after-market. Anything AMG is ok, as long as you do not put AMG badges on - this is where the lying begins.

CF hood is a serious and expensive (and likely not DIY) mod that alters the look quite noticeably. It screams "street racing", but it sure needs to be backed up by other proper attributes of such (tight suspension, decent rims, beefed-up engine, exhaust, etc.).

That's why it is so difficult to find co-buyers. This crowd is indeed mostly into "cheap-blue-bulb-that-looks-like-Xenon" type of mods.

I would consider it myself, if: 1. it could be painted in original color and not cost me an arm and a leg at that; 2. it provided dramatic weight gain; 3. it could be easily mounted w/o having to ruin the original hood; 4. it provided the same type of thermo insulation the original one does (if it gets hot from the engine than the paint will be ruined very soon).
Most AMG wheels have the badges on them, but that's besides the point...

I want my car to scream 'street racing', and as soon as nuk sells me his COs (are you still selling them?) and I get my 19s I'm half-way there. Hopefully by then a cheaper pulley kit is out (cause I'll be broke!) for the M271 and I won't just be a poser. (or I transfer all the parts to a C350 in the fall!)

A CF hood could reasonably be installed by any garage mechanic with some help. I've replaced hoods on 2 cars and there is a bit of adjusting, yet an aftermarket hood should fit without much hassle. Removing your old hood should be easy (unless I'm missing something about MB hoods), storing it might be a problem.

nuk has mentioned several times this will be fully fabricated with all mounting holes. That hopefully includes all holes to remount the heat-shield.

Unfortunately you know painting will cost a decent amount of cash. I want a custom paint job, so it'll probably cost me more.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM

05-C230SC
adding AMG parts to a car is no different than adding aftermarket parts; they are simply MB approved...

Hans Werner Aufrecht (A) and Erhard Melcher (M) found their company in Grossaspach (G), officially entitled "Engineering office for the Design and Testing of Racing Engines". They started by modifying MBs and racing the crap out of them. In 1988 they teamed up with Daimler-Benz for the German Touring Car Championship, and never looked back since.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I have both. The Bix haven't been installed yet, but I fully admit they were purchased because they look cool. My wife's vehicle has Bix, and let me tell you, they aren't noticeably brighter from the drivers seat. The cutoff is nice, and the white white light makes everything a little more vivid, but you don't see any farther ahead, and off to the side seems worse, actually. The only time the Bix are blindingly bright is when they are coming the other way, or in your rearview mirror.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
I have both....My wife's vehicle has Bix, and let me tell you, they aren't noticeably brighter from the drivers seat. ... but you don't see any farther ahead, and off to the side seems worse, actually.
All this is because your eyes get adjusted to the brighter spot they produce. This topic been beaten to death, you may even find relevant posts on this board. You don't see farther ahead not because the Xenon lights are weak, but because they are adjusted according to respective regulations. If you live in a city or happen to visit someone who lives in a high-rise apartment building overlooking a road - just take a look at it at night. The blob of light Xenon lights throw on the road is much, much brighter than that of Halogens. You will never mistake one for the other.

Last edited by vadim; 02-10-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Never said they were weak...just think that these lights are more hype, and more for show than anything else. Of course you won't mix them up. Color is different, and most often they have projector assemblies, which make the beams very concentrated. Also, BIX is a must have on a premium car these days...its a snob thing. I'm cool with it either way. I'm honest about this stuff...I admit, its for looks.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
What can I say.. You might as well refuse to believe in gravity or laws of nature altogether - your own choice, of course, if this makes you sleep well. Who cares about that stinking science - as of now, HIDs do not produce more light, because Outland said so!! It's all about looks! Which brings another question: why didn't you go for blue-coated bulbs instead - they look "white", and [in you mind] are as good as HIDs, but cost pennies?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 AM
taylor192

Also, BIX is a must have on a premium car these days...its a snob thing. I'm cool with it either way. I'm honest about this stuff...I admit, its for looks.
Thanks for admitting it. I want the CF hood just for looks.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Don't argue w/ Vadim. Everything he says is 100% right and you are 100% wrong
Old 02-10-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Nukblazi,
your thread got totally jacked...

sorry, but if I had the $$$$ I would definitely jump on the CF hood for my SportsCoupe.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
taylor192

Originally Posted by Saprissa
sorry, but if I had the $$$$ I would definitely jump on the CF hood for my SportsCoupe.
WTF! With all the other cash you've dumped into this car you're suddenly broke!

LOL, just messin' with ya.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CF hood for 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe