C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CF hood for 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CF hood for 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe

Any takers over here who aren't on the other site?

Basic deal is this, we can have a limited run of 10 hoods made if we have 10 confirmed, prepaid orders. This is hopefully going to be a no bull***** thread. No, it will not fit the sedan. Yes, it would use all OEM latch and attachment points. No, we can not add special scoops or vents. Just a stock replacement hood. Please C&P the following and add your name IF you are serious;

I am willing to pre-pay for one CF hood for the 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe (cl203). I understand that the quote of $550 - $600 DOES NOT include shipping.

1. taylor192 (mbklasse)
2. Byroll01 (mbklasse)
3. nukblazi
Old 02-07-2005, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
What is the weight gain? And how about safety? This thing surely is not going to crumple the way the original one would when you'd need it...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The hood has NOTHING to do with crash safety. Its not a stressed member. The only safety issues you have to worry about is the bolts coming loose around the CF over time when it cracks. If you autocross, the wieght savings might be worth it.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:24 AM

Would it be available in silver CF or just black? Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Outland
The hood has NOTHING to do with crash safety. Its not a stressed member. The only safety issues you have to worry about is the bolts coming loose around the CF over time when it cracks. If you autocross, the wieght savings might be worth it.

Well, on all production cars all hoods have crumple zones on them. This will certainly not crumple. If ever an accident, u will hope the hood just brakes off and detaches from the car, or stays open and does not come threw the windshield.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
As was stated - it sure does! Any element that crumples under impact absorbs its energy, the hood included. In all modern cars they are designed to buckle upwards, thus providing additional safety barrier to the occupants.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Bull****. THe hood does nothing. Its the structure that's underneath that saves your hides. A latch in the front, no points connected on the sides, and two chincy struts in the back....its not doing anything. You could destroy the hood with your bare hands.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Energy required to deform the hood is the energy absorbed from the impact - less of which will be absorbed by other parts of the car *or* passed on to the occupants. Physics 101. But you are free to believe what you want.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Bull****. THe hood does nothing. Its the structure that's underneath that saves your hides. A latch in the front, no points connected on the sides, and two chincy struts in the back....its not doing anything. You could destroy the hood with your bare hands.
I don't think that what were talking about. Its obvious the hood is not going to save your life. Its a matter of "what will happen to the CF hood in an accident" i am sure you are aware of the visible crumple zones on the hood when you open it that were specifically designed so the hood crumples and does not go thew the windshield.

With that said, I would still get a CF hood if I wanted, it would not stop me from getting one. Just pointing out that the safety of the vehicle can change.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Ok, we have dealt with the safety issue. :p Now: What is the weight gain?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
No, the hood does not supply any signifigant safety in an accident. It does absorb some energy, but not much. The hood is designed to crumble upwards so that it doesnt get pushed back through the windshield. And as far as carbonfiber hoods go, they will just turn to dust in an accident. Any "fiber suspended in resin" cracks and shatters when a force is loaded from which it was not designed to handle. Ever see a boat or Corvette in an accident and you will know what I am talking about.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Net weight; Can't figure that out because all we ever do is debate, never build. It is going to be a little less then half the lbs. of stock.
Safety; like Nemo said.

It's a black hood. No options. Period. If we could stop being such wus' and build the damn thing we could get more information. If I have to pay out of pocket to build ONE, I will take to my grave or burn it. 10 people, 10 hoods, then there would be a mold. If you want a CF hood, go in on the black one, you could resell on eBay and make a profit, then request a Silver CF hood since the mold will exist, it will be obtainable.

If we don't pull our ***** together, and actually commit instead of deliberate, we will never have anything. Page two, and no takers. This isn't the way it is supposed to be.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
taylor192

Originally Posted by nukblazi
If we don't pull our ***** together, and actually commit instead of deliberate, we will never have anything. Page two, and no takers. This isn't the way it is supposed to be.
Just change your page/post count to 50 and all will seem better again.

Any luck contacting Fiber Images? If we could only get ahold of them, they have the mold, do they not want more sales? Seems like a strange business model to ignore customer requests for an item they have fabricated beforehand.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
. And as far as carbonfiber hoods go, they will just turn to dust in an accident.

I thought carbon fiber was supposed to be as stong as aluminum, but much lighter? I don't think it turns to dust when broken, but breaks into sharp pieces. I see shards of carbon fiber puncturing tires during F1 races quite often. Due to this 'fracturing' nature, is there ZERO chance that if during a high speed frontal impact, the hood, or a significant piece of it, won't slice through the windshield and cut your head off, or otherwise injure someone? I see "safety" as a key selling point for these cars on this forum pretty frequently. It doesn't seem to make sense to monkey with it for the sake of saving the equivalent weight of a full sized spare tire.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Banville
I thought carbon fiber was supposed to be as stong as aluminum, but much lighter? I don't think it turns to dust when broken, but breaks into sharp pieces. I see shards of carbon fiber puncturing tires during F1 races quite often. Due to this 'fracturing' nature, is there ZERO chance that if during a high speed frontal impact, the hood, or a significant piece of it, won't slice through the windshield and cut your head off, or otherwise injure someone? I see "safety" as a key selling point for these cars on this forum pretty frequently. It doesn't seem to make sense to monkey with it for the sake of saving the equivalent weight of a full sized spare tire.
I am sure that if some ricers (we all know they are constantly wreching their cars) head was cut off it would have made the news, and their parents would have sued the company making the Hood (VIS) and it'd be off the market. I am honestly about to give up, and I will pay the premiums from now on and not tell you people where I got it. I swear. I'll make it my little secret.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:40 PM

2002 c320 wagon
I am honestly about to give up, and I will pay the premiums from now on and not tell you people where I got it. I swear. I'll make it my little secret.

LOL
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM
taylor192

I am honestly about to give up, and I will pay the premiums from now on and not tell you people where I got it. I swear. I'll make it my little secret.
NO!

Do you really need 10? Do you already have a frabricator contacted? If we only had 5, and the price was a little higher, screw the rest of them, lets get it done!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by taylor192
NO!

Do you really need 10? Do you already have a frabricator contacted? If we only had 5, and the price was a little higher, screw the rest of them, lets get it done!
We don't even have 5 lol! The faricator gave us his requirements- min 10 people, 550 - 600
Old 02-08-2005, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am sure that if some ricers (we all know they are constantly wreching their cars) head was cut off it would have made the news

You hit the nail on the head
You think CF hood and "rice" comes to mind!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 PM
taylor192

We don't even have 5 lol! The faricator gave us his requirements- min 10 people, 550 - 600
Sweet, I didn't know you already had a fabricator lined up. I'll post something on MBCanada to see if others are interested (yet most post on MBKlasse anyways).
Old 02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You hit the nail on the head
You think CF hood and "rice" comes to mind!
Not in my mind. Rice immitates race. A lot of road race cars are nearly all composite consisting of Carbon Fiber, valances, fenders, hoods, decks, anything to save weight.

It's not my problem a bunch of low lives slap VIS hoods and incomplete body kits. Immitation is the most sincere form of flatery, and I am sorry but I race my car, and I have no objects to lossing 50% of the weight of the hood. Mine would likely be painted cilver unless the black hood flows nicely into the black pano roof top. Next I want to replace the glass panels of the pano with Carbon Fiber or a black painted steel roof.

Think what you want though!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not in my mind.

Not to nit-pick, but it was you who first brought up ricers & their CF hoods as a response to my questions about the safety of CF hoods. So apparently you do associate CF hoods & ricers in your mind
Old 02-08-2005, 10:02 PM

'05 C230 coupe
if it deleted the hole where the hood badge sits, I'd consider it... and it would give me a good, removable spot to leave those car-show-requisite stickers and make the shop happy
Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Strength is relative. CF takes compression and tension really well, but does not have a good moment strength. (moment = bending) If the force of an acident was applied to the hood at its edge and parallel to the hood, theoretically it could shear at its connections (the bolts) and be sent aft into the ****pit. The probability of that is next to zero being that the hood is angled and comprised of a complex curve and a collison applies the force in multiple directions. As far as the shards, remember, the quality of CF used in F1 are much better than almost anything available on the market. They have the fiber/resin ratio down to a science to make it strong in places and flexible in others. It is also thicker. And the more resin that is used the more likely it is that it will shard. Likewise, with less resin it will turn into dust, to a point, then too little resin and the CF becomes very flexible. I assume in this application, the CF should be allowed to flex some since hoods tend to flex quite a bit. So will it turn into deadly shards? I doubt it, but then again, kids in the back seat have been decapitated by the cover of the front airbags in a collision... Anything is posible!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim, don't forget to use my comments in their original context. I am just going to have a fiber glass hood built requiring hood pins. It's less weight anyway, and this isn't working.

"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CF hood for 2002 - 2005 Sport Coupe