C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CD Changer Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
CD Changer Install Question

Hey Guys,

I just bought an OEM CD changer for my wife's C240. I'm going to install the unit myself - does the dealer need to do any programming so the car recognizes the new equipment? Is there anything special I need to do/be aware of when installing the changer?

Thank You,
Mark
Old 02-14-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Originally Posted by markseven
Hey Guys,

I just bought an OEM CD changer for my wife's C240. I'm going to install the unit myself - does the dealer need to do any programming so the car recognizes the new equipment? Is there anything special I need to do/be aware of when installing the changer?

Thank You,
Mark
52 posts and you have not caught on yet ?

Search The Forum..this has been posted many times b4..
Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by respdoc
52 posts and you have not caught on yet ?
Wow, I guess you told me, huh?

-Mark
Old 02-16-2005, 12:41 PM

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
Wow, I guess you told me, huh?

-Mark
Hey, I can feel your pain!!!

Old 02-17-2005, 12:05 AM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by jlm003
Hey, I can feel your pain!!!

Old 02-17-2005, 06:42 AM
JeT

Hey Guys,

Thank You,
Mark
Yes, the dealer has to use the StarDiag so that the changer is recognised on the optical loop.

And you don't have to buy the bracket...use some velcro or 3M Scotch Dual Lock.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:23 AM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by JeT
Yes, the dealer has to use the StarDiag so that the changer is recognised on the optical loop.

Thank you for the info, JeT. I have an appointment scheduled for this Saturday

-Mark
Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
When I installed my changer in my old '02 C240, I didn't have to go to the dealer. It just worked.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
To install w/ a large piece of velcro: pull off backing and stick one side of velcro to glovebox shelf. Stick other side of velcro to bottom of changer (make sure it is lined up correctly so that when changer is setting on the shelf, the two pieces of velcro will line up as closely as possible). If you just tried to slide the changer in the shelf, the pieces of velcro would probably start to touch to soon and lock together. Here's the trick- after you have the cables connected to the changer, place a piece of paper over the velcro stuck to the shelf. Now slide the changer over the paper to its final resting place. From top to bottom you will have changer w/ velcro on bottom - sheet of paper - shelf w/ velcro on top. Now pull the sheet of paper out. The two pieces of velcro will come into contact and lock together!
Old 02-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, 2004.5 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 C300 4-Matic Luxury
nice tip jim
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM

02 c240
Originally Posted by JeT

yeah i didn't go to the dealer...I had a car audio place install it for me. I am pretty sure that they are just plug and play
Old 02-17-2005, 01:10 PM
JeT

Originally Posted by Jim Banville
When I installed my changer in my old '02 C240, I didn't have to go to the dealer. It just worked.
Yeah, I've heard that...but apparently it can throw some wierd error codes but nothing that affects functionality.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 PM

2019 CLS
This is again why I promote SEARCHING THE FORUM..

Myself and many other's have installed/removed OEM changers from non-Bose systems without a problem (myself installing 4 different changers) with the units working perfectly and has basically turned into a 10 minute job tops and this is only because of the stubborn trim around the HU can sometimes be a pain to remove..

If you have a Bose system it becomes a tad harder since you have to link into the D2B fiber optic loop, but again I have heard of many people installing units themselves w/o a problem...

So again, for in-depth discussion on this topic try...SEARCHING THE FORUM
Old 02-17-2005, 03:59 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
...the two pieces of velcro will come into contact and lock together!
Jim, yeah man, great tip. This will work for almost any Velcro related project

Originally Posted by Whoompthereitis
yeah i didn't go to the dealer...I had a car audio place install it for me. I am pretty sure that they are just plug and play
Whoomp, I called the dealer and they said it had to be programmed... are they propagating their bad rep?

So again, for in-depth discussion on this topic try...SEARCHING THE FORUM
respdoc, I searched the 'ole forum, and did find useful info - most of it talked about pulling apart interior pieces in order to install the fiber optic connector. Most of the threads said that "pre-wired" to accept a changer means it's pre-wired for power, not connectivity.

Based on how long this forum has been around, I'm sure every possible situation, problem, DIY topic, etc. has been discussed (for mature models like the W203). Your attitude suggests that dialog is no longer required - newbies should just search the forum for an answer.

Thank you to all for the help - it is appreciated.

-Mark
Old 02-17-2005, 04:16 PM

2019 CLS
Jim, yeah man, great tip. This will work for almost any Velcro related project

Whoomp, I called the dealer and they said it had to be programmed... are they propagating their bad rep?

respdoc, I searched the 'ole forum, and did find useful info - most of it talked about pulling apart interior pieces in order to install the fiber optic connector. Most of the threads said that "pre-wired" to accept a changer means it's pre-wired for power, not connectivity.

Based on how long this forum has been around, I'm sure every possible situation, problem, DIY topic, etc. has been discussed (for mature models like the W203). Your attitude suggests that dialog is no longer required - newbies should just search the forum for an answer.

Thank you to all for the help - it is appreciated.

-Mark

Not quite....the threads also discuss that on many models the connection for the bose systems (fiber optic cable) is located in the trunk/hatch area below the carpet. The power connection is pre-wired on all models..(that I've heard of) and is always there...either coiled behind the HU or close by under the center areas carpet somewhere...

You are correct that pretty much any topic a newbie can think of...has been thought of in great detail. Many senior forum members have spend a lot of time explaining in detail with complete write-ups, pics, etc. how to complete these projects. It serves no real purpose to start a new post on these topics when such complete information is already there...

Do I think dialog is no longer required ?...No...

Do I think new dialog should contain some degree of intelligence and help to enrich the existing forum in some which way, shape or form? ...Yes
Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT

Do I think dialog is no longer required ?...No...

Do I think new dialog should contain some degree of intelligence and help to enrich the existing forum in some which way, shape or form? ...Yes
Hey hey, It's not like I was asking how to roll down the windows.

-Mark
Old 02-18-2005, 01:08 AM
JeT

By the same token respdoc, if you are going to spend a sentence or 2 telling him to search the forum, you might as well answer his question. Don't forget, these questions are still going to be asked throughout the life of this forum by new members - its inevitable...at some point there is going to be more threads on the topic abrubtly ending with STFF than thread actually containing relevant info - you tell me which will be more beneficial: doing a search on a topic and getting a hit that says STFF or a hit that may very well answer your question in a couple of words?

But I do agree with you...people should search for the info already here but at least answer the question if it is easily answered. In that way the thread isn't totally useless. I hope you see what I mean.

Mark, I suggest you simply install it first and see if it works. If not then take it to the dealer. For me, it had to be re-programmed...it could be because Eurospec cars do not come prewired but it certainly was not working when I installed it.

Last edited by JeT; 02-18-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:18 AM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by JeT
Mark, I suggest you simply install it first and see if it works. If not then take it to the dealer. For me, it had to be re-programmed...it could be because Eurospec cars do not come prewired but it certainly was not working when I installed it.
JeT,

You are a gentleman and a scholar

-Mark
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM

02 c240
No lets keep arguing. I like reading 6 pages of arguing about 'stff' to find a couple of posts relevant to the thread. Here I'll get it going again...

ummm ur all big meanies!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeT

This velcro is good ? Will hold the CD player in place and prevent the thing from flying out in a crash ?
Old 02-19-2005, 04:47 AM
JeT

Originally Posted by miroj
This velcro is good ? Will hold the CD player in place and prevent the thing from flying out in a crash ?
Hmmm, not sure about that one Miro...but good point.

All I can tell you though is the adhesive is very strong...I used the dual lock to stick an LCD monitor to the wall. When I tried to pull the adhesive off it took a huge chunk of the wall with it!

You can get it from Office Works.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Hey Guys,

I finally had the CD changer installed. My wife reminded me that the salesman at MB Laguna Niguel who sold us the car promised free installation if we bought a CD changer at a later date. This was last November. I called him two weeks ago, and he said to bring the car in. I thought I would have a struggle on my hands to get him to keep his promise, but no - he was really cool and met me at 9AM on a Saturday morning to take care of the installation. It cost me $48 for a cable and a connector... that was it! I am really pleased with the level of service I received at MBLG, I recommend them to anyone.

BTW, I found the changer on the Classified board here at MBWorld - it cost me $200

Thank you to all for your help

-Mark