C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

To lower or not lower with 18" rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05-C230SC
speakin of it... can anyone else post pics of their stock-height 230?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 Sport Sedan
Deutscher, I'll post pics of my stock setup tonight...I also heard that cup kits can lower the ride height a bit and aren't as expensive as coilovers. I haven't done research on pricing but lowest price I've seen is an H&R cup kit for $615 and it lowers the height 2" in the front, 1.4" in the rear. And I also think more than a few peeps here have cup kits that gives the car a pretty good stance.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:40 PM
QC1

C230 Coupe
Hey, I have a set of 18" rims and I lowered with a set of Brabus springs. Check out the pics on my sounddomain site.
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/qtqc1
Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by SCFALIA
Deutscher, I'll post pics of my stock setup tonight...I also heard that cup kits can lower the ride height a bit and aren't as expensive as coilovers.
Keep posting. I'm paying attention. Thx.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:07 PM

05-C230SC
Deutscher, I'll post pics of my stock setup tonight...I also heard that cup kits can lower the ride height a bit and aren't as expensive as coilovers. I haven't done research on pricing but lowest price I've seen is an H&R cup kit for $615 and it lowers the height 2" in the front, 1.4" in the rear. And I also think more than a few peeps here have cup kits that gives the car a pretty good stance.
thanks.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I also heard that cup kits can lower the ride height a bit and aren't as expensive as coilovers. I haven't done research on pricing but lowest price I've seen is an H&R cup kit for $615 and it lowers the height 2" in the front, 1.4" in the rear. And I also think more than a few peeps here have cup kits that gives the car a pretty good stance.
H&R cup kit is perfect for just wanting a lowered look, but some threads on here talk about the performance of the set up not being that great (i.e. handling/dampening). That's a good option if you just want the look for a fairly decent price.

I just found these Brabus Springs on ebay that have a starting bid of $250:
LINK: BRABUS SPRINGS

Cup kit might be a better option for you, but like I've been saying, it's purely up to your needs (performance vs. appearance or both).

I'll let you know if I see any other deals.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
my car w/ H&R cup kit

Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 Sport Sedan
Drex, thanks for looking out...I really appreciate it. I actually was searching through some earlier posts and I notice that you are pretty good with suspension questions so thanks with the help. I don't intend to race it so performance shouldn't be a big factor...I think some people still want that though when they drive casually. But it should look ok with the cup kit and according to Blakes ride, it looks like it has a decent drop with the 18" wheels. So that might be a really good option for me. Hey Blake, how big are the gaps between the fender and wheel and how is the ride?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Drex, thanks for looking out...I really appreciate it. I actually was searching through some earlier posts and I notice that you are pretty good with suspension questions so thanks with the help. I don't intend to race it so performance shouldn't be a big factor...I think some people still want that though when they drive casually. But it should look ok with the cup kit and according to Blakes ride, it looks like it has a decent drop with the 18" wheels. So that might be a really good option for me. Hey Blake, how big are the gaps between the fender and wheel and how is the ride?
For appearance and a slight increase in performance, you could go with the cup kit for sure and add on the AMG sway bars (I think they're somewhere around $200 for the swaybars, but could be wrong on that price, so I'd search through this forum about that).

Even on the 17's, it'd look just as it does with Blake's ride on 18's. Then you could save up for the rims you want 18" HRE's will be a quality buy if you decide to go that route.

To give you an idea, rims are probably gonna be my last mod on the exterior just because (unless I find a crazy, too good to be true deal) the rims I want 19" HRE's (not sure which one's yet) are gonna be a grip of money. They are gonna cost me just as much as my suspension/kit is gonna be to get painted and installed all together.

Currently, I'm waiting on the TEIN Super Street coilovers to get through development. Once they are out for production/sale, I will most likely go with those. The TEIN Super Street coilovers have a 16 level adjustable damper system and I think the ride height adjustment is somewhere between 2-3 inches. This is a Japanese company, but very reputable in terms of quality of product. They're not sure how much these are going to be once they have finished develpment. There is a guy on this board that is the "guinea pig" tester for the prototypes, but I think they also only put the Basic TEIN coilovers and not the Super Street. I tried to get in touch with him, but no response. My other option is gonna be either the Carlsson RS Coilover system (based on the Bilstein PSS9 Shocks) or the actual Bilstein PSS9 Coilover system.

Just on my planned mods for suspension, body kit and exhaust, I know it's gonna cost me a grip of money. Right now I'm just trying to save up in order to do it all at once.

For sure, I'm not an "expert" on suspension, but I have enough knowledge to kinda help you with your decision. There are a lot more knowledgable people about suspension on this board. Just gotta kinda search them out. You'll be able to tell based on the technicalities of their posts. I understand the technicalities, but couldn't really explain it if anybody asks me (which sucks, cuz it's one of those things that I just can't seem to be able to grasp when trying to explain it).

Well, hope that helps more with your decision.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Hey Blake, how big are the gaps between the fender and wheel and how is the ride?
There is maybe a 1 finger gap in back, and just slightly higher in front, but definitely less than 2 fingers. I should mention that I'm using the #4 spring pad on the rears and had half-coil cut in front to try to even the drop as much as possible without worrying about a bouncy ride. The ride was very similar to stock when the kit was first installed, but has gotten a bit firmer as the springs settled. I wouldn't say uncomfortable, but definitely sportier (which I consider to be a good thing)! If it's in your budget, I'd still say coilovers are the way to go. I've got a guy who can get you H&R coilovers for under $1,100 if you're interested.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 PM

'05 C230 coupe
Originally Posted by Deutscher_Wagen
speakin of it... can anyone else post pics of their stock-height 230?
Old 02-18-2005, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by QC1
Hey, I have a set of 18" rims and I lowered with a set of Brabus springs. Check out the pics on my sounddomain site.
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/qtqc1
Isn't having a DVD player that can play movies on the front dash while the car is moving = illegal ? Be extra careful driving your car man, u could be charged with all kinds of bs if u get involved in an accident and if they find out abt ur DVD. I could be wrong depending on where u live, but that was my friend's experience. The thing is, u wouldnt be able to prove that u weren't watching a movie when driving. Peace.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 PM

05-C230SC
Originally Posted by 360_iti
Isn't having a DVD player that can play movies on the front dash while the car is moving = illegal ?
you would think that there are certin conditions to that law... just about every new mini-van has a DVD-player now (some standard, others optional) for kids.

Last road trip to vegas, we installed a LCD screen & DVD player in my friends car before we left. We alternated with driver and watching movies the entire way. We quickly learned, the key is to play moves that the driver has already seen, so he/she doesn't look at the screen too often.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:46 PM

05-C230SC
Originally Posted by 808_230K
by the way...

just looked at my car, and it looks like it is at similar height now. Does stearing or suspension adapt to certain conditions? at times it looks higher or lower than others... wierd.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
you would think that there are certin conditions to that law... just about every new mini-van has a DVD-player now
Yes you are right, but we're talking about a screen in the dashboard, visible by the driver and capable of playing a movie while the car is moving.
Most minivans/SUVs have the screen mounted on the ceiling or headrests purposely for the passengers in the back. I'm not really sure what the law says about this issue, but take a look at this article. Better safe than .. unsafe.
http://www.engadget.com/entry/7447778344488544/
Off topic, but wouldn't hurt.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I called BergWerks (bergwerks.com) and they insisted that installing lowered springs (H&R or Kleemann or whatever) wouldn't hurt your shocks, thus installing new shocks is NOT necessary. Could anyone confirm ? thx.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by 360_iti
I called BergWerks (bergwerks.com) and they insisted that installing lowered springs (H&R or Kleemann or whatever) wouldn't hurt your shocks, thus installing new shocks is NOT necessary. Could anyone confirm ? thx.
It makes sense that they would say that, but I'm just speaking from past experience with regards to installing after market springs on stock shocks. Just keep in mind that shocks are a "wear and tear" item that usually go bad within a 2-3 year period no matter what.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:07 AM

'05 C230 coupe
by the way...

just looked at my car, and it looks like it is at similar height now. Does stearing or suspension adapt to certain conditions? at times it looks higher or lower than others... wierd.
might just be me, but it seems like the front sits higher when the wheels are turned to lock... probably the way the suspension sits when it's turned. It's a shame the height isn't even makes we want to drop the car. I think the rear sits fine, though. Since the '05s are lower than previous, isn't it hard to gauge how much of a drop we'll see w/aftermarket springs? I'm a little apprehensive about buying springs that'll make my car look the same.

since the SS/Cs have a 'firmer' suspension, I'd imagine that just changing out the springs to a mild sport type spring would be ok for a while... had eibachs on my gti's stock 'sport' struts, and they lasted until 30k
Old 02-24-2005, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by drexappeal
It makes sense that they would say that, but I'm just speaking from past experience with regards to installing after market springs on stock shocks. Just keep in mind that shocks are a "wear and tear" item that usually go bad within a 2-3 year period no matter what.
Drex thx.
Im going to kleemann headquarters on friday to see what they have (about 1 hour drive from Denver) Might go for their springs then.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Almost a Member!

C230K
hey...this might osund stupid as **** considering i'mone of the haters for kids with hondas that cut springs.......but it sounds like me and a lot of others on this board want springs JUST to lower the car for looks but still keep the good quality ride...

Now, if we were to cut our front spings a coil or two, would that have a civic type effect and make the car bounce???
again....i know this might sound retarded, i'm just trying to get by with putting on 18's and making little wheel gap but no efect ride quality.
the truth is..if just springs wouldn't cause problems for the car (ride quality, rattleness in interior etc etc) like past cars my family and ihave owned and lowered, then i woudl for sure cough up the extra 300 and jsut by springs..
any thoughts?? Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by BOOSTEDPGT
hey...this might osund stupid as **** considering i'mone of the haters for kids with hondas that cut springs.......but it sounds like me and a lot of others on this board want springs JUST to lower the car for looks but still keep the good quality ride...

Now, if we were to cut our front spings a coil or two, would that have a civic type effect and make the car bounce???
again....i know this might sound retarded, i'm just trying to get by with putting on 18's and making little wheel gap but no efect ride quality.
the truth is..if just springs wouldn't cause problems for the car (ride quality, rattleness in interior etc etc) like past cars my family and ihave owned and lowered, then i woudl for sure cough up the extra 300 and jsut by springs..
any thoughts?? Chris
NO!!!! Don't do it! Worst thing anybody could ever do is cut stock springs! If you want your shocks to wear fast, that's one sure-fire way to do it. There are shops that do cut aftermarket springs to even out a drop, but MOST shops will not recommending cutting any spring (regardless of OEM or AFTERMARKET).

If you cut the stock springs, there is a HIGH possibility (i.e. most likely) there would be the "bouncing effect" you are referring to. If you want to shorten wheel gap in a car, but keep your car in good running condition (without losing ride comfort), the best options would be don't drop at all, switch to stock sport/amg springs (if you are in a 240/320 non-sport), switch to aftermarket lowering springs, switch to the H&R cup kit or switch to a full coilover kit. Period.

Remember, no matter what type of Benz you have, we're still talking about a Benz. It's not a Civic, so don't treat it like one. If you don't have the money to buy springs, wait and save up. That's my advice because the last thing you want to do is have a Benz that rides like A$$.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K
Originally Posted by drexappeal
NO!!!! Don't do it! Worst thing anybody could ever do is cut stock springs! If you want your shocks to wear fast, that's one sure-fire way to do it. There are shops that do cut aftermarket springs to even out a drop, but MOST shops will not recommending cutting any spring (regardless of OEM or AFTERMARKET).

If you cut the stock springs, there is a HIGH possibility (i.e. most likely) there would be the "bouncing effect" you are referring to. If you want to shorten wheel gap in a car, but keep your car in good running condition (without losing ride comfort), the best options would be don't drop at all, switch to stock sport/amg springs (if you are in a 240/320 non-sport), switch to aftermarket lowering springs, switch to the H&R cup kit or switch to a full coilover kit. Period.

Remember, no matter what type of Benz you have, we're still talking about a Benz. It's not a Civic, so don't treat it like one. If you don't have the money to buy springs, wait and save up. That's my advice because the last thing you want to do is have a Benz that rides like A$$.

thats exactly what i wanted to know!! thanx!! I have the money for springs... but what?? i have posted on this topic on here and the oher site(by the way, can anyone post the link for me??? i can't find it on this computer and i can't find it on a seach engine) kleeman, eibach, h&r????
Old 02-24-2005, 02:47 PM

05-C230SC
In europe they make an AMG Coupe... does it have different suspension? or is it the same 'sport' suspension that they now offer with the 05 model.

I would like to stick to a MB specific brand (like AMG, brabus, carlsson, etc), rather than eiback or H&R.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Deutscher Wagen, I'll let u know how it goes with Kleemann springs.
We're driving to their HQ in colorado springs tomorrow. You're welcome to join.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by BOOSTEDPGT
thats exactly what i wanted to know!! thanx!! I have the money for springs... but what?? i have posted on this topic on here and the oher site(by the way, can anyone post the link for me??? i can't find it on this computer and i can't find it on a seach engine) kleeman, eibach, h&r????
BOOSTEDPGT, I remember you. You're the one that used to have a Probe, right? Hopefully you remember my response about the springs/shocks/coilover description (in comparison to what was available for the MX-6/Probe/626), but if you don't in essence, it all depends on what your budget is and what your needs are.

If you just want a drop, without needing to have adjustable shocks or even aftermarket shocks, you could lower your car with the following aftermarket springs:

AMG (might be same ride height as stock 230k ss)
BRABUS
H&R
EIBACH
RENNTECH
CARLSSON

Not sure which others are available. A lot of people on these boards go with Renntech springs. At least for the posts that I've researched on the board, the people that go with seperate spring/shock applications (and not fully adjustable coilovers) go with Renntech for their spring application.

Hope that helps...

Oh and here' a link http://www.renntechmercedes.com/pdf/W203.PDF

According to the website, the springs are $525. I'm sure you can search around for different deals, but this price is the retail price from their website.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To lower or not lower with 18" rims