C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weird Noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230
Weird Noise?

Just got an 05 C230 a month ago and I love everything about the car except.....that's there this weird clicking noise coming from the steering wheel/gauge cluster area. When the noise doesn't happen, I love the car. When the noise happens, I wanna rip apart my dash and figure out what hell it is because it is extremely annoying while I'm driving. I'm not sure what triggers the noise but I noticed that when I push down on the frame of the gaugle cluster area, the noice stops. I obviously need to take the car in but I hope the dealer doesn't give me some bs about not being able to diagnose the problem because they couldn't hear it. I remember reading a post awhile ago about someone having a similar issue but never followed up on it. Any thoughts on what it could be or anyone else have the same problem?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BANNED
Turn off the turn signal or, as Citron suggested to someone else, add some turn signal fluid.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:20 AM

2005 C240 4Matic
Thats Two!

Hey,
Yesss! Finally someone who knows what I'm talking about. Purchased my 05 in late-december. Had the exact ticking issue you describe..brought the car into the delear for another issue and they took a quick look at it...was told it was likely something that would 'go-away' once the car has more miles on it (Yeah, ok!).
I also found that pushing down on the frame of the instrument cluster stopped it. That has long lead me to believe the noise may be coming from the glass of the instrument cluster being loose??
Turn up the bass on your stereo and watch it really rattle at you!

I am planning on bringing it in again, but my car has been sitting in my garage since early January. I'll take her out for a spin this weekend and see if I've still got it (only 700 miles so far).

Last edited by TwofourT; 02-21-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Hmmm...only ticking noise I notice sounds like it's coming from under the left side of the dash when driving at highway speeds on bumpy surfaces. It used to annoy me, but I learned to turn the music up and forget about it.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 AM

'02 c230k coupe
why dont you both just take it to the dealer. you'll get a real answer there.

if they cant fix the problem., they'll give you a new one.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:33 AM

2005 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by PsssTkiD
why dont you both just take it to the dealer. you'll get a real answer there.

if they cant fix the problem., they'll give you a new one.
Haaaa, I wished...Im holding off till I hit 1,000 miles and bringing it in with a list of minor tune up's, just havent been driving the car all that much..poor thing just sits till spring comes out...
Old 02-21-2005, 02:39 AM

'02 c230k coupe
shiettt... i bring my car ...even if its only a burnt light bulb.....im actually gonna call them on tuesday.. cuz im hearing some crackling noice on the top at the roof.. .. harness the power of warranty . .they're there for a reason.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 AM

2005 C240 4Matic
Originally Posted by PsssTkiD
shiettt... i bring my car ...even if its only a burnt light bulb.....im actually gonna call them on tuesday.. cuz im hearing some crackling noice on the top at the roof.. .. harness the power of warranty . .they're there for a reason.
And so was the same with my last C class. I'd be at the dealer monthly with the slightest issues. Now-a-day's I dont have all that time to sit hour after hour at the delear bored out of my mind with no loaner. I found that making appointments in advance and arranging for a loaner worked best for those litte tune ups. But as the wise BklynBenz always says "To each his own.."
Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 AM

'02 c230k coupe
i make appointments..and loaners..they always have them...if not ..they have a camry..hahha , but not for the burnt bulb... lol

to each his own??. i dont get it...im sorrie im slow
Old 02-21-2005, 01:19 PM

2005 C230 SS
Exclamation Same problem....

Here is a post that I created back on 1/18/2005...I was talking about the same issue...I took it into service and they told me that they performed a test drive and that they did not find anything wrong. Believe it or not the little noise has gone away for the most part, I don't hear it anymore. I a not sure if the noise went away by itself or maybe they tweaked something because I did see fingerprints on the gauge/cluster little window so I know they were playing around with it. Either way now I just hear a little light pop and crickle every now from the dash but no rattling. Does anybody else hear a little crack or pop from now and then coming from the dash, maybe when making a turn or so?

"New 2005 C230 Sports Sedan Comments / Small Issue?!

Well I have had my new car now for about 3 weeks..and I love everything about it...I just hit 1,000 miles 2 days ago so I put the car on "sport" mode and I finally just started really driving it..the car to me is quick enough though I would love a couple of more horses, the build quality is awesome and I love the handling...I still haven't decided if I should tint my windows and I am really impressed with the smooth ride.

The only issue I have on-going is that every now and then I hear a little ticking noise coming from the steering wheel area when i go over 40-50 mph. The noise is very low and nobody else in the car can really hear it besides the driver.. It doesn't sound like a rattle, it is more of a ticking noise where it sounds like something is about to short out. The sound seems like it is coming from behind the instrument cluster above the steering wheel. Has anybody experienced this before?

When I take it in for the 1,000 - 3,000 mile checkup I will have them take a look at this..thanks in advance for the feedback."

Last edited by MCONDE01; 02-21-2005 at 01:25 PM.