MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   I feel like venting about the US Models... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/186458-i-feel-like-venting-about-us-models.html)

pmb600 03-19-2007 08:32 PM

I feel like venting about the US Models...

I know this has been discussed in previous threads but:

1) Why can we not get a sport C-Class with 4Matic? We can get an E-Class or S-Class with 4Matic and Sport package, so why not the C, the so called "bread and butter" of the Mercedes-Benz lineup.

2)Why will the 4Matic only be available as a C300? Does MBUSA somehow believe that the people who need/want 4Matic don't care about power?

3) Why will the C350 Sport only be available with automatic transmission. If they really intend on competing with the 3-series, this is a big mistake.

What do all of you think?

Chi-Benz 03-19-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by pmb600 (Post 2088023)
I know this has been discussed in previous threads but:

1) Why can we not get a sport C-Class with 4Matic? We can get an E-Class or S-Class with 4Matic and Sport package, so why not the C, the so called "bread and butter" of the Mercedes-Benz lineup.

2)Why will the 4Matic only be available as a C300? Does MBUSA somehow believe that the people who need/want 4Matic don't care about power?

3) Why will the C350 Sport only be available with automatic transmission. If they really intend on competing with the 3-series, this is a big mistake.

What do all of you think?

PMB -

I haven't heard that you can't get 4matic with the sport model. I think this will be an option finally and if not no C for me :nix:

pmb600 03-20-2007 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chi-Benz (Post 2088411)
PMB -

I haven't heard that you can't get 4matic with the sport model. I think this will be an option finally and if not no C for me :nix:

I am 95% sure it will be luxury model only with 4Matic and only a C300 (which uses the current C280 engine). There will be no C350 4Matic offered.

MikeRPA 03-20-2007 02:16 AM

ye sport looks so ****ing good

skr 03-20-2007 05:13 PM

They want to keep the sport models with the sporty rwd feel.

PhilipM1 03-20-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by skr (Post 2090193)

Take the same car, one with 4matic, one RWD, let both cars take the same turn under the same conditions, at the same speed. Let them increse speed untill one of them looses it. Ill take the 4matic.

Same thing, only this time, from a launch on a fresh rain.

Rear-wheel drive is for muscle cars. Traction is for MB Sport inspired driving.

Just my .02

Sauceboy01 03-20-2007 07:51 PM

Apparently they are not intending to compete against the 3.

Chi-Benz 03-20-2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM3 (Post 2090470)
Take the same car, one with 4matic, one RWD, let both cars take the same turn under the same conditions, at the same speed. Let them increse speed untill one of them looses it. Ill take the 4matic.

Same thing, only this time, from a launch on a fresh rain.

Rear-wheel drive is for muscle cars. Traction is for MB Sport inspired driving.

Just my .02

Philip - 100% agreed!! :y

BMW does it as well as AUDI so it would only make sense that MB would finally do this with a new model. Let's hope so...

Remonster 03-21-2007 01:00 AM

I couldn't care less about 4Matic, if a car doesn't drift I don't want to have any part in driving it (lol).

The thing that's sending me about 90% towards the BMW side (again) is the fact that you can only get an automatic with the C350 Sport and even then, you've got quite a bit less power than the 335i. To be fair though, you can get the manual with the C300 Sport which has almost exactly the same power as the BMW 328i which it competes with (230HP) styling wise I like the new W204 better, interior I'd give it to the Bimmer but if history is any indication, the BMW will just be so much more fun to drive, heck PERSONALLY, I like my 1996 318is better than any of the 2007 C classes I've driven.

pmb600 03-21-2007 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Remonster (Post 2091168)
I couldn't care less about 4Matic, if a car doesn't drift I don't want to have any part in driving it (lol).

Of course you don't care about 4Matic, you live in San Diego lol. For those of us who live in places where it snows, we really benefit from having the 4Matic. This was my first winter with it and I was completely amazed. The car just WOULD NOT lose traction even if I tried in the snow. I want a C-Class that has AMG styling and 4Matic, sadly that wasn't an option on W203, I just hope that it will be for W204.

pmb600 03-21-2007 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chi-Benz (Post 2090592)
Philip - 100% agreed!! :y

BMW does it as well as AUDI so it would only make sense that MB would finally do this with a new model. Let's hope so...

Exactly, Mercedes would be doing themselves a severe disservice by not offering a more powerful 4Matic model.

executive 03-21-2007 06:10 AM

I agree with you.;)

I can not imagine a MB with manual transmission.

skr 03-21-2007 12:23 PM

I'm not saying 4matic won't give you better traction or perfomance, but part of the fun in driving a "sports" model is being able to slide the tail around a little bit.

Also, the current "sports" models come with staggered width, low profile, summer tires. This may not be suitible for a 4matic setup.

I also understand if you live in climates where 4matics are preferable, you would want an option of the "sport" apprearance package, because it does look much better.

PhilipM1 03-21-2007 10:41 PM

Traction Control Button.... Everybody happy?

Remonster 03-22-2007 01:56 AM

PhillipM3, have you driven any recent Mercedes? Their traction control is undefeatable which is my number 1 gripe with them (though most of their cars are powerful enough to have a bit of fun before it cuts in) if you press the button to "turn it off" it just delays its reaction time but you can never turn it off unless you are a test driver, they know a secret combination of button presses and wheel turns and brake taps (seriously) that allows full disabling of the stability systems. Honestly Mercedes, there are plenty of people buying BMWs mainly because the electronic nannies won't let you have any sideways action, just let us turn the damn thing off......ugh.

And my comment about 4Matic was made with consideration to where I live, obviously if it had ever snowed here I would get AWD cars but that's why I DO live here.

PhilipM1 03-22-2007 07:29 PM

I havent recently driven any of the newer mercedes. When I said Traction Control Button I ment one that would turn it off completly. Look at my sig. Im not a fan of traction control. :)

Mercedes Benz. Inspired by the Autobahn(SP), 180mph in a pretty straight line.

Subaru. Inspired by a perfectly straight road, they wish to take perfectly sideways. :)

One day mercedes will see a road where Luxury, Elegance, and "Special Tactics Driving" meet in one vehicle.

Remonster 03-22-2007 09:13 PM

Yeah, I'm no fan of traction control. My car is a 1996 Bimmer which has no form of traction control what so ever, it is a blast to drive when its dry and when it gets wet it just gets even better, BUT, sometimes you just want to get home in one piece without having to opposite lock at EACH and EVER corner (no driving slower isn't an option) so in those rare cases when it does rain here in sunny San Diego, I prefer to drive my parents Benzes (2003 E320 and 2004 CLK320) because ESP works wonders in poor weather.

I love having ESP there when I need it, but god damn, let me turn it off when I don't need it!

PhilipM1 03-22-2007 10:52 PM

Couldnt agree more. I had a 1994 525I for my first car when I was in Texas. It was a great car. I learned how to drift in it. My mom's Jag s-type had traction in it, wich was nice. But, it also had a "no traction" plus an "S" button. Put those two on and be sure to buckle up!

GDawgC220 03-23-2007 09:10 AM

I agree but add a third pedal if they're going for the sporty drive.

arbittan 03-23-2007 06:09 PM

I hate to say this but, this new C-Class is nothing more than a Chrysler Sebring. Look at both cars side by side.

Does this mean you are getting a great Chrysler product or a crappy Mercedes product?

I know the industry cross platforms their cars like GM and Saab, but is so obivous that this is the same car.

I currently own a 07 ML350 and I hate the thing. I really never understood what people meant by "you must own a Benz" when I made a comment of it "being in the shop"

I guess the only people that would buy this car is hard core MB fans......

Sorry,

That's my two cents

pmb600 03-23-2007 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by arbittan (Post 2097357)
I hate to say this but, this new C-Class is nothing more than a Chrysler Sebring. Look at both cars side by side.

Does this mean you are getting a great Chrysler product or a crappy Mercedes product?

I know the industry cross platforms their cars like GM and Saab, but is so obivous that this is the same car.

I currently own a 07 ML350 and I hate the thing. I really never understood what people meant by "you must own a Benz" when I made a comment of it "being in the shop"

I guess the only people that would buy this car is hard core MB fans......

Sorry,

That's my two cents

The two cars are separate. The only sharing is some Chryslers get Mercedes parts. The Jeep Comander is built on the GL platform, and the Crossfire is built on the old SLK platform.

The worst part of the new C-Class seems to be the interior, which looks a lot less elegant than the current model.

GDawgC220 03-23-2007 10:17 PM

The sharing is a little deeper than Chrysler getting old platforms from MB. Chrysler and MB share common components such as waterpumps, parts of that nature where they can just have one part that can be common across both manufacturers so its cheaper for them instead of having two waterpumps, one for MB and one for Chrysler. But as for platform sharing, that hasn't happened yet.

pmb600 03-23-2007 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by GDawgC220 (Post 2097737)
The sharing is a little deeper than Chrysler getting old platforms from MB. Chrysler and MB share common components such as waterpumps, parts of that nature where they can just have one part that can be common across both manufacturers so its cheaper for them instead of having two waterpumps, one for MB and one for Chrysler. But as for platform sharing, that hasn't happened yet.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a ton about the inner workings of cars, but aren't a lot of parts bought from manufactuers like Bosch? So parts sharing might not be a bad thing.

arbittan 03-23-2007 11:31 PM

The Sebring looks like it is using a lower model version of the Command system.

I agree the interior is terrible looking in the '08 C Class.

I could see where Diamler would like to get more out of its investments of Chrysler group, but why degrade their product line?

Is it my bad taste in my mouth (the experience I have with my ML) or are most of the forums I have visit continue to tell of their issues they have with thier MBs?

In any case, I am not in line for this car, anyone can have my space :)

pmb600 03-24-2007 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by arbittan (Post 2097827)
The Sebring looks like it is using a lower model version of the Command system.

Actually the Sebring is using a much better model of the COMAND system lol. It is touchscreen and has DVD playback--neither of which the COMAND has (at least in the US there is no DVD playback.)

I could see where Diamler would like to get more out of its investments of Chrysler group, but why degrade their product line?

I agree, there is nothing wrong with having different types of products under one parent company as long as the intermingling is only in one direction. I don't see a problem with MB sharing their expertise with Chrysler I just don't want to see Chrysler stuff in MBs. They are talking about selling Chrysler again, I know I would be happy if they did so that none of my friends can joke about MB being Chryslers.

Is it my bad taste in my mouth (the experience I have with my ML) or are most of the forums I have visit continue to tell of their issues they have with thier MBs?

I am sorry to hear your car has been having trouble. I would say though that any online discuss is not an accurate sample of car owners. Most people that are having problems and are unhappy with any product/service will seek out help and places to vent. Very few people will start a new thread saying "I have 21,000 miles and the car is great." Sometimes people do go out of their way to mention that they are happy with the product and there are plenty of examples of happy customers here, but just remember people tend to make more noise when they are unhappy.