C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I feel like venting about the US Models...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I feel like venting about the US Models...

I know this has been discussed in previous threads but:

1) Why can we not get a sport C-Class with 4Matic? We can get an E-Class or S-Class with 4Matic and Sport package, so why not the C, the so called "bread and butter" of the Mercedes-Benz lineup.

2)Why will the 4Matic only be available as a C300? Does MBUSA somehow believe that the people who need/want 4Matic don't care about power?

3) Why will the C350 Sport only be available with automatic transmission. If they really intend on competing with the 3-series, this is a big mistake.

What do all of you think?

Last edited by pmb600; 03-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C300 4-Matic, P1 P2 MM iPod Kit
Originally Posted by pmb600
I know this has been discussed in previous threads but:

1) Why can we not get a sport C-Class with 4Matic? We can get an E-Class or S-Class with 4Matic and Sport package, so why not the C, the so called "bread and butter" of the Mercedes-Benz lineup.

2)Why will the 4Matic only be available as a C300? Does MBUSA somehow believe that the people who need/want 4Matic don't care about power?

3) Why will the C350 Sport only be available with automatic transmission. If they really intend on competing with the 3-series, this is a big mistake.

What do all of you think?

PMB -

I haven't heard that you can't get 4matic with the sport model. I think this will be an option finally and if not no C for me
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Chi-Benz
PMB -

I haven't heard that you can't get 4matic with the sport model. I think this will be an option finally and if not no C for me
I am 95% sure it will be luxury model only with 4Matic and only a C300 (which uses the current C280 engine). There will be no C350 4Matic offered.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:16 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
ye sport looks so ****ing good
Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
skr

'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
They want to keep the sport models with the sporty rwd feel.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by skr
Take the same car, one with 4matic, one RWD, let both cars take the same turn under the same conditions, at the same speed. Let them increse speed untill one of them looses it. Ill take the 4matic.

Same thing, only this time, from a launch on a fresh rain.

Rear-wheel drive is for muscle cars. Traction is for MB Sport inspired driving.

Just my .02
Old 03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
Apparently they are not intending to compete against the 3.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 PM

08 C300 4-Matic, P1 P2 MM iPod Kit
Originally Posted by PhilipM3
Take the same car, one with 4matic, one RWD, let both cars take the same turn under the same conditions, at the same speed. Let them increse speed untill one of them looses it. Ill take the 4matic.

Same thing, only this time, from a launch on a fresh rain.

Rear-wheel drive is for muscle cars. Traction is for MB Sport inspired driving.

Just my .02

Philip - 100% agreed!!

BMW does it as well as AUDI so it would only make sense that MB would finally do this with a new model. Let's hope so...
Old 03-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
I couldn't care less about 4Matic, if a car doesn't drift I don't want to have any part in driving it (lol).

The thing that's sending me about 90% towards the BMW side (again) is the fact that you can only get an automatic with the C350 Sport and even then, you've got quite a bit less power than the 335i. To be fair though, you can get the manual with the C300 Sport which has almost exactly the same power as the BMW 328i which it competes with (230HP) styling wise I like the new W204 better, interior I'd give it to the Bimmer but if history is any indication, the BMW will just be so much more fun to drive, heck PERSONALLY, I like my 1996 318is better than any of the 2007 C classes I've driven.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Remonster
I couldn't care less about 4Matic, if a car doesn't drift I don't want to have any part in driving it (lol).
Of course you don't care about 4Matic, you live in San Diego lol. For those of us who live in places where it snows, we really benefit from having the 4Matic. This was my first winter with it and I was completely amazed. The car just WOULD NOT lose traction even if I tried in the snow. I want a C-Class that has AMG styling and 4Matic, sadly that wasn't an option on W203, I just hope that it will be for W204.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Chi-Benz
Philip - 100% agreed!!

BMW does it as well as AUDI so it would only make sense that MB would finally do this with a new model. Let's hope so...
Exactly, Mercedes would be doing themselves a severe disservice by not offering a more powerful 4Matic model.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by skr
I agree with you.

I can not imagine a MB with manual transmission.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM
skr

'10 GLK350 4matic/ '05 BMW e46/'20 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Originally Posted by skr
I'm not saying 4matic won't give you better traction or perfomance, but part of the fun in driving a "sports" model is being able to slide the tail around a little bit.

Also, the current "sports" models come with staggered width, low profile, summer tires. This may not be suitible for a 4matic setup.

I also understand if you live in climates where 4matics are preferable, you would want an option of the "sport" apprearance package, because it does look much better.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Traction Control Button.... Everybody happy?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
PhillipM3, have you driven any recent Mercedes? Their traction control is undefeatable which is my number 1 gripe with them (though most of their cars are powerful enough to have a bit of fun before it cuts in) if you press the button to "turn it off" it just delays its reaction time but you can never turn it off unless you are a test driver, they know a secret combination of button presses and wheel turns and brake taps (seriously) that allows full disabling of the stability systems. Honestly Mercedes, there are plenty of people buying BMWs mainly because the electronic nannies won't let you have any sideways action, just let us turn the damn thing off......ugh.

And my comment about 4Matic was made with consideration to where I live, obviously if it had ever snowed here I would get AWD cars but that's why I DO live here.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 PM

1993 190E 2.6
I havent recently driven any of the newer mercedes. When I said Traction Control Button I ment one that would turn it off completly. Look at my sig. Im not a fan of traction control.

Mercedes Benz. Inspired by the Autobahn(SP), 180mph in a pretty straight line.

Subaru. Inspired by a perfectly straight road, they wish to take perfectly sideways.

One day mercedes will see a road where Luxury, Elegance, and "Special Tactics Driving" meet in one vehicle.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
Yeah, I'm no fan of traction control. My car is a 1996 Bimmer which has no form of traction control what so ever, it is a blast to drive when its dry and when it gets wet it just gets even better, BUT, sometimes you just want to get home in one piece without having to opposite lock at EACH and EVER corner (no driving slower isn't an option) so in those rare cases when it does rain here in sunny San Diego, I prefer to drive my parents Benzes (2003 E320 and 2004 CLK320) because ESP works wonders in poor weather.

I love having ESP there when I need it, but god damn, let me turn it off when I don't need it!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM

1993 190E 2.6
Couldnt agree more. I had a 1994 525I for my first car when I was in Texas. It was a great car. I learned how to drift in it. My mom's Jag s-type had traction in it, wich was nice. But, it also had a "no traction" plus an "S" button. Put those two on and be sure to buckle up!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by skr
I agree but add a third pedal if they're going for the sporty drive.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:09 PM

I hate to say this but, this new C-Class is nothing more than a Chrysler Sebring. Look at both cars side by side.

Does this mean you are getting a great Chrysler product or a crappy Mercedes product?

I know the industry cross platforms their cars like GM and Saab, but is so obivous that this is the same car.

I currently own a 07 ML350 and I hate the thing. I really never understood what people meant by "you must own a Benz" when I made a comment of it "being in the shop"

I guess the only people that would buy this car is hard core MB fans......

Sorry,

That's my two cents
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by arbittan
I hate to say this but, this new C-Class is nothing more than a Chrysler Sebring. Look at both cars side by side.

Does this mean you are getting a great Chrysler product or a crappy Mercedes product?

I know the industry cross platforms their cars like GM and Saab, but is so obivous that this is the same car.

I currently own a 07 ML350 and I hate the thing. I really never understood what people meant by "you must own a Benz" when I made a comment of it "being in the shop"

I guess the only people that would buy this car is hard core MB fans......

Sorry,

That's my two cents
The two cars are separate. The only sharing is some Chryslers get Mercedes parts. The Jeep Comander is built on the GL platform, and the Crossfire is built on the old SLK platform.

The worst part of the new C-Class seems to be the interior, which looks a lot less elegant than the current model.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
The sharing is a little deeper than Chrysler getting old platforms from MB. Chrysler and MB share common components such as waterpumps, parts of that nature where they can just have one part that can be common across both manufacturers so its cheaper for them instead of having two waterpumps, one for MB and one for Chrysler. But as for platform sharing, that hasn't happened yet.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by GDawgC220
The sharing is a little deeper than Chrysler getting old platforms from MB. Chrysler and MB share common components such as waterpumps, parts of that nature where they can just have one part that can be common across both manufacturers so its cheaper for them instead of having two waterpumps, one for MB and one for Chrysler. But as for platform sharing, that hasn't happened yet.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a ton about the inner workings of cars, but aren't a lot of parts bought from manufactuers like Bosch? So parts sharing might not be a bad thing.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 PM

The Sebring looks like it is using a lower model version of the Command system.

I agree the interior is terrible looking in the '08 C Class.

I could see where Diamler would like to get more out of its investments of Chrysler group, but why degrade their product line?

Is it my bad taste in my mouth (the experience I have with my ML) or are most of the forums I have visit continue to tell of their issues they have with thier MBs?

In any case, I am not in line for this car, anyone can have my space
Old 03-24-2007, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
The Sebring looks like it is using a lower model version of the Command system.
Actually the Sebring is using a much better model of the COMAND system lol. It is touchscreen and has DVD playback--neither of which the COMAND has (at least in the US there is no DVD playback.)

I could see where Diamler would like to get more out of its investments of Chrysler group, but why degrade their product line?
I agree, there is nothing wrong with having different types of products under one parent company as long as the intermingling is only in one direction. I don't see a problem with MB sharing their expertise with Chrysler I just don't want to see Chrysler stuff in MBs. They are talking about selling Chrysler again, I know I would be happy if they did so that none of my friends can joke about MB being Chryslers.

Is it my bad taste in my mouth (the experience I have with my ML) or are most of the forums I have visit continue to tell of their issues they have with thier MBs?
I am sorry to hear your car has been having trouble. I would say though that any online discuss is not an accurate sample of car owners. Most people that are having problems and are unhappy with any product/service will seek out help and places to vent. Very few people will start a new thread saying "I have 21,000 miles and the car is great." Sometimes people do go out of their way to mention that they are happy with the product and there are plenty of examples of happy customers here, but just remember people tend to make more noise when they are unhappy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I feel like venting about the US Models...