C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Pan-Roof design problem ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for W204 Facelift
Pan-Roof design problem ?

in USA only W203 coupe owners know about Panaroma Sunroof and now with W204 allone will be interested.

I have 2 years it and I thought always why panaroma sunroof close/open itself bottom-up the car instead of rear or front .(Shown pics) Yes Mercedes engineers/ designer probably think that. But if panaroma sunroof -mechanically- opens rear or front of the top of the car. more glass and no thing bottom of the car ?

my english is not so good I hope you understand

Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Could it move from bottom to front side or back side ?

Think different !

Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
I think it is more of a safety issue than an engineering one.

Remember that ALL sunroofs (moonroofs?) compromise the strength of the roof somewhat. The larger the sunroof, the greater the sacrifice in strength. On a panoramic sunroof design, there is a very large expanse of glass that must somehow be reinforced in case of collisions, rollovers, etc. Squeeks and rattles are also an issue as the car gets older.

Mercedes has built itself a great reputation for safety and solid construction. I doubt they would want to sacrifice that.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by alpinweiss
I think it is more of a safety issue than an engineering one.

Remember that ALL sunroofs (moonroofs?) compromise the strength of the roof somewhat. The larger the sunroof, the greater the sacrifice in strength. On a panoramic sunroof design, there is a very large expanse of glass that must somehow be reinforced in case of collisions, rollovers, etc. Squeeks and rattles are also an issue as the car gets older.

Mercedes has built itself a great reputation for safety and solid construction. I doubt they would want to sacrifice that.
Yes I agree with you (glass top less safety in every car !)

but in panaroma sunroof, glass consist of 2(two) pieces, not one piece ! I examine near the bottom collector of the cloth(fabrik-material) and it does not support the glass .It only hides the cloth not anaother job.

Yes I claim again, it is thought before by MB , I only try to understand technically impossibles.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Panorama sunroof

I decided against buying the Pano roof because I don't like the appearance of the roof when it's open, sitting on top of the car like an afterthought. Looks like a lot of wind noise to me.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
I don't get what the problem is here? These have been on the road for some years now and there hasn't been any safety problems reported so?

M
Old 08-14-2007, 04:23 AM
Almost a Member!

'08 C300
Originally Posted by RLE
I decided against buying the Pano roof because I don't like the appearance of the roof when it's open, sitting on top of the car like an afterthought. Looks like a lot of wind noise to me.
Its actually designed pretty well.. when the window tilts back, a front lip tips up.. forcing the air up and over the opening. You can open that sucker wide open and only a nominal and pleasant breeze is felt through the car. Even at 80mph in the rain~!