C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB Tex vs. Leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
MB Tex vs. Leather

What is your opinion? To me, if I'm going to pay $45k+ on a car, I want to have leather seats. What do you think? It is $1550 more for leather, and my dealer talked it down like it was a disease.

Experience? Does it hold up well? Is it a convincing faux leather?

I might change my order if so...
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
This one is discussed in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...mb+tex+leather

Basically it boils down to personal preference.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Originally Posted by Peyton
What is your opinion? To me, if I'm going to pay $45k+ on a car, I want to have leather seats. What do you think? It is $1550 more for leather, and my dealer talked it down like it was a disease.

Experience? Does it hold up well? Is it a convincing faux leather?

I might change my order if so...
We have had vigorous discussions on this forum on the merits of each. I doubt you will find much agreement here.

In a nutshell, the consensus seems to be: buy the leather for luxury, and buy the MB Tex for durability.

There is really no substitute for leather. It smells nice, it feels nice. The price for this is increased maintenance. You will have to clean it and treat it periodically. It will dry out and crack if you don't. This is worse in dry and hot climates.

MB Tex is lower maintenance. If you look at a Mercedes from the 1980's with MB Tex, it usually still looks almost new. It is a convincing fake leather, but it still ISN'T leather. This is a better choice if you have children.

Again, there are other discussion threads on this forum, and it really boils down to personal preference.

Good luck, and enjoy your new Mercedes. You have bought a premium quality car, regardless of the interior fabric.