C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
The clear bra only goes over the hood of the car? It doesn't go over the roof or the back of the car?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM
phs

12 SLK55AMG 18 C43AMG 19GLC63sAMG
My experience is that you only apply the clear film (clear bra) over the anterior aspect of the hood and that part of your car front that is metallic. You don't really apply it over the polyurethane part of the car front. Right?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
If you pay enough $$, the installer will clearbra anything you wish. Most times when they refer to clearbra install, they only do the forward facing panels because you get the most chips on those surfaces.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Anyone had any experience with Ziebart? Not aware of any other places in St. Paul, MN. I called them for a quote and got clear bra (some other brand actually) for $500 and about $230 for tint on the 4 doors and back window.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM

2004 c230k
washing and waxing?

How about washing and waxing? What happens to the paint underneath? What happens to the clear film after washing and detailing?

I would think that over time, the paint underneath the film will be a bit different compared to the rest of them car.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Anterior aspect?

<<My experience is that you only apply the clear film (clear bra) over the anterior aspect of the hood and that part of your car front that is metallic. You don't really apply it over the polyurethane part of the car front. Right?>>

Wrong, not to put too fine a point on it. The front bumper spoiler is protected as are the headlights and fog lights. The hood is covered back about one foot, plus or minus. The fenders are protected back to the widest point, above the wheel opening.

That's how my car was done, at least. $699.

In other words, anywhere a rock can strike.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

What happens?

<<How about washing and waxing? What happens to the paint underneath? What happens to the clear film after washing and detailing?>>

Nothing, if you keep in mind that the film is softer than the paint so it should not be polished. And, you have to treat the film's edge with care since polish or paint cleaning clay can be forced under the edge if you try hard enough. You should wash sideways over the edge, not front to back.

<<I would think that over time, the paint underneath the film will be a bit different compared to the rest of them car.>>

It isn't. I've removed the stuff from two previous cars and the paint is like new underneath. The film does not come off easily.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 AM

c300
Hey, for the Seattle guys I thought I'd chime in. If you're considering Accutint over in Bellevue I'd reconsider. They've gone way down hill. I don't know if it's new ownership or if it's just the woman running the desk, but customer service isn't what it once was there anymore. They're not getting much love from the other forums I'm on either. I know from the Audi F&I person that they send all their film installs out to them, so I'm guessing that they're living off dealer jobs and not caring much about customer service. My opinion anyway.

The guy doing their installs still does a decent job but we had too many issues with my wife's new truck to bother dealing with them again.

1. seat and door leather came back with weird chemical burn stains that have never come out.

2. It was in three times, and never once was it completed on time.

3. we had the front windows tinted to match the back, and the tint doesn't match.

We finally just gave up on them. Front desk woman would never let me talk to the owner, which I'd always enjoyed working with in the past. And she would never do anything to address our issues.

We're going to rip the tint off the windows and have it redone on our own dime this spring.

If you're on the eastside, maybe check out Bradley's? I took my C there because somebody keyed it in my work parking lot (lightly thank goodness) the first week I had it and they were able to polish it out 98% of the way. They took care of me right away, without an appointment (I'd just stopped by to see if they could do it, when and how much) and sent me on my way, "no charge".
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 AM

c300
PS. The film doesn't seem to be as strong as I was anticipating it to be though ... my wife's Q7 is the first time I've had it. The monster rock that put a quarter sized star in her windshield hit the hood first and tore a chunk out of the film.

But in it's defense, the paint underneath doesn't look as chipped as it could've if the film weren't there.

I feel it's worth it for those million pin ***** chips that it will protect against. But I guess I was expecting a miracle product?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:54 AM

Sucks to hear about your Accutint woes, oblu. I know that BMW Seattle sends their tint/clearbra work to the Accutint in Seattle. They did a good job on my other car (BMW), and I'd consider going through them again. I'm sure there are better ones out there too.

One thing I'm not impressed about is by their lack of products. They only push a few products and didn't sound like they wanted to get different stuff in. But then again, they've worked with whatever they've worked with for years so they probably know what's good and what's not.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Accutint adventures

<<Hey, for the Seattle guys I thought I'd chime in. If you're considering Accutint over in Bellevue I'd reconsider. They've gone way down hill. I don't know if it's new ownership or if it's just the woman running the desk, but customer service isn't what it once was there anymore. .........The guy doing their installs still does a decent job but.......It was in three times, and never once was it completed on time. We finally just gave up on them. Front desk woman would never let me talk to the owner, which I'd always enjoyed working with in the past. And she would never do anything to address our issues.>>

I took my C300 to Accutint a couple of weeks ago and although the install of the film is OK and the car emerged from the shop undamaged, I too was not too happy with that female at the front desk. Since the two hour job turned into 4.5 hours, right through lunch, I had plenty of time to watch her in action. Looks like she was hired for her bra size, not her people skills. Dressed inappropriately for business, seemed to me, with way too much skin showing.

When I came by the week previous to make the appointment, she was my only contact, volunteering no information about anything, as though she was doing me a personal favor even speaking to me.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RLE
I took my C300 to Accutint a couple of weeks ago and although the install of the film is OK and the car emerged from the shop undamaged, I too was not too happy with that female at the front desk. Since the two hour job turned into 4.5 hours, right through lunch, I had plenty of time to watch her in action. Looks like she was hired for her bra size, not her people skills. Dressed inappropriately for business, seemed to me, with way too much skin showing.

When I came by the week previous to make the appointment, she was my only contact, volunteering no information about anything, as though she was doing me a personal favor even speaking to me.
...like you would complain!

I guess AccuTint Seattle seems like the nicer place to go to. I deal with Nathan (Nate). He's a straight shooter, and took care of my C short notice.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:17 AM

c300
Looks like she was hired for her bra size, not her people skills. Dressed inappropriately for business, seemed to me, with way too much skin showing.
Hahaha, well I wasn't gonna say anything.

like you would complain!
Oh, it's not really something you want to see. It's like a buffet. Lots of quantity but not much quality.

Since she always seems to be there, I just figured she was the new owner or the wife of the owner. Either way I didn't get the impression she enjoyed being there.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Pictures would go a long way to help this post!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:30 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
So you are saying it's worth it? My dealer wants 600 to do the clear bra. Does this seem reasonable? My car will be in obsidian black. So will the clear bra protect from scratches and what not? You know when you get snow on your car and you clean if off with the brush, the bristles from the brush can leave scratchs.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Brush?

<< You know when you get snow on your car and you clean if off with the brush, the bristles from the brush can leave scratchs.>>

Clean it off with a BRUSH? Why not use a flamethrower, for God's sake?
I'll bet your old '03 isn't a dark color.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
My old '03 is a dark color. It's black. I used to use the brush to clean off snow.. the snow would pile on. There's no other way to clean it off without a brush.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Originally Posted by RLE
Clean it off with a BRUSH? Why not use a flamethrower, for God's sake?
I'll bet your old '03 isn't a dark color.
I guess it doesn't snow enough in Seattle!
When there is three feet of snow on top of your car, you gotta brush it off in order to drive.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by peabers
I guess it doesn't snow enough in Seattle!
When there is three feet of snow on top of your car, you gotta brush it off in order to drive.
That's what I was thinking. I often use a big push broom to clear the snow of the vehicles. I REALLY need to clean out the other side of the garage now so we can get both cars in there this winter!

FYI, I haven't noticed any scratches on my Endeavor which has brushed off 100+ times the past few years and it has a dark color, Titanium Pearl if I recall, it's really close to the MB Steel Grey but without the hint of blue.