C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why I want Parktronic

Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Threads merged because they deal with the same issue as discussed in all the other posts above.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 E350 4Matic
All you guys/gals who post response saying the parents need to be more responsible is absolutely correct. However, how many of you actually have kids? If you do not have one, please understand the viewpoint from the ones that do! You may think it is easy to find out where your kids are located at all times? Ever try keeping up with an active 3 years old?

I love the backup camera in my wife's Acura MDX. We added the backup sensor just so that we have an audio warning to go with the camera. It was $$ but well worth it to know that I will at least hopefully have some warning in advance before running over or hitting something. I really considered the G35 because the camera.

I for one would also like to see at least the option of a camera.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by who8888
All you guys/gals who post response saying the parents need to be more responsible is absolutely correct. However, how many of you actually have kids? If you do not have one, please understand the viewpoint from the ones that do! You may think it is easy to find out where your kids are located at all times? Ever try keeping up with an active 3 years old?

I love the backup camera in my wife's Acura MDX. We added the backup sensor just so that we have an audio warning to go with the camera. It was $$ but well worth it to know that I will at least hopefully have some warning in advance before running over or hitting something. I really considered the G35 because the camera.

Lets see...I was born in the 70's and my parents never ran over me in the driveway...I wonder why? Surprise...they didn't have back up cameras or parktronic....they had common sense (well at least back then they did).

Get over it.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I'm sorry to see this issue continuing with unsensitive people making a mockery of the problem. Maybe these critics will never hit anyone but here is some data:

"In a report issued to Congress in November 2006 by the national Traffic and Safety Administration, the agency estimated, relying on 1998 data, that backover crashes involving all vehicle types cause at least 183 fatalities annually, with many of victims being children. In addition, between 6,700 and 7,410 injuries result from backover crashes per year."
Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I don't think anyone would disagree that parktronic or backup camera should be offered as an option on all their models. This is the 21st century and these are luxury cars, but making them standard is a little overboard.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Every normal person has kids on some days, otherwise we had no people on our planet. Actually then less kids you have then you are more concerned about they safety.

Regarding back view camera, how good it is? I mean I can't trust camera and would like to turn my head. I see many movies when stratic pictures was placed in front of camera and it fooled viewers.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63

I am one. That's gotta count for something.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AsianML
I am one. That's gotta count for something.
So how many times did your mom run you over? I figure thats where the brain damage comes from.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:02 AM

15 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Lets see...I was born in the 70's and my parents never ran over me in the driveway...I wonder why? Surprise...they didn't have back up cameras or parktronic....they had common sense (well at least back then they did).

Get over it.
They are good parents who watched over you every minute as every parent should. That is why you are still here.

Do you have kids? If you do, I can not see any reason why you would have your point of view. For the people including me who have kids, we are just saying it would be nice to have technology as an extra sets of eyes and ears. We are not saying MB should add it as standard but at least as an option.

BTW, it not just your own kids. Imagine running over you neighbor kids because your neighbor was a CHUMP or distracted and did not look after their kids and they happen to run behind your car when you are backing up or those crazy parents who let their kids run behind your car around the daycare.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am not sure if MBUSA still does this, but in the past, write in options were sometimes allowed. Basically, one could order options, colors, etc that are available in Europe but not in the US by the dealer writing the option code in on the build sheet. This sometimes worked, but is not a guarantee. For those planning on ordering a car:

Optional Equipment: Code

Parktronic: 220
Pre-Safe: 299
Black Maple (For C300 Sport): 732
Multi-Contour Seats Front Left and Right (Only for Luxury): 409
Intelligent Light System: 622
Keyless Go: 889
3 Zone Climate Control: 581
Advanced Agility Packet: 483
Left (Driver) Seat Memory Package with Mirrors, Steering Wheel Memory and Pre-Safe Functionality (When Equipped with Pre-Safe): 275
Right (Passenger) Seat Memory With Pre-Safe Functionality (Only with Pre-Safe and Left Seat Memory): 242
Mounted Fire Extinguisher: 682
Perakles Green: Paint Code 300

I believe those are all the options not offered in the US. Good luck to anyone who orders them, let us know if it works.

Last edited by Untertürkheim; 10-25-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Unterturkheim

That's good to know.

You might want to start a new thread on this so others can find it.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55

Do you have kids? If you do, I can not see any reason why you would have your point of view. For the people including me who have kids, we are just saying it would be nice to have technology as an extra sets of eyes and ears. We are not saying MB should add it as standard but at least as an option.
My argument stands true with or without kids. There is no substitute for good parenting. Technology can help but don't lay the blame on it or lack there of.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Special Optional Equipment W204

Originally Posted by JimPap
Unterturkheim

That's good to know.

You might want to start a new thread on this so others can find it.
Done, the thread is "Special Optional Equipment W204"
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
I am not sure if MBUSA still does this, but in the past, write in options were sometimes allowed. Basically, one could order options, colors, etc that are available in Europe but not in the US by the dealer writing the option code in on the build sheet. This sometimes worked, but is not a guarantee. For those planning on ordering a car:

Optional Equipment: Code

Parktronic: 220
Pre-Safe: 299
Black Maple (For C300 Sport): 732
Multi-Contour Seats Front Left and Right (Only for Luxury): 409
Intelligent Light System: 622
Keyless Go: 889
3 Zone Climate Control: 581
Advanced Agility Packet: 483
Left (Driver) Seat Memory Package with Mirrors, Steering Wheel Memory and Pre-Safe Functionality (When Equipped with Pre-Safe): 275
Right (Passenger) Seat Memory With Pre-Safe Functionality (Only with Pre-Safe and Left Seat Memory): 242
Mounted Fire Extinguisher: 682
Perakles Green: Paint Code 300

I believe those are all the options not offered in the US. Good luck to anyone who orders them, let us know if it works.
A la carte, as they call it?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 AM

15 E350 4Matic
My argument stands true with or without kids. There is no substitute for good parenting. Technology can help but don't lay the blame on it or lack there of.
From the sounds of it, you do not have kids. But someday you will understand the point of view of MB-JIM and the rest of the parents on the forum.

Last edited by who8888; 10-28-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
From the sounds of it, you do not have kids. But someday you will understand the point of view of MB-JIM and the rest of the parents on the forum.
I don't know about that one. I agree with Stiggs.
There is no doubt that parents love their kids but at the same token responsibility rests with them and not with some technology gadget. Whats next? A lawsuit because that feature wasn't there and something happened. Is the company now responsible for the lack of proper parenting skills?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
No.......I don't have kids. But I think Honey wants about ten of them. Dear Lord kill me now!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
No.......I don't have kids. But I think Honey wants about ten of them. Dear Lord kill me now!

They start you off with asking for one... then before you know it, you'll have a litter and shopping for a Ford E150.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I don't want to make a bigger issue of this but today there was another
child run-over in the Phoenix area. This was by a Ford Taurus, not an SUV. How tragic when you think a back-up sensor might have prevented this.

LOCAL NEWS
Little girl run over as dad backs out of driveway
10:57 AM Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
By The Associated Press
SCOTTSDALE -- A 17-month-old girl is hospitalized after Scottsdale police say she was run over as her father backed out of the driveway of their home.

The parents told police that they were putting their three children into their Ford Taurus at about 6:30 a.m. and lost track of the toddler.

As the father backed up, they told police, he felt a "bump" and then got out and discovered the injured child.

Police said the couple drove their daughter to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn, and then the girl was transferred to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix with head and chest injuries and is in serious condition.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
I don't want to make a bigger issue of this but today there was another
child run-over in the Phoenix area. This was by a Ford Taurus, not an SUV. How tragic when you think a back-up sensor might have prevented this.

LOCAL NEWS
Little girl run over as dad backs out of driveway
10:57 AM Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
By The Associated Press
SCOTTSDALE -- A 17-month-old girl is hospitalized after Scottsdale police say she was run over as her father backed out of the driveway of their home.

The parents told police that they were putting their three children into their Ford Taurus at about 6:30 a.m. and lost track of the toddler.

As the father backed up, they told police, he felt a "bump" and then got out and discovered the injured child.

Police said the couple drove their daughter to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn, and then the girl was transferred to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix with head and chest injuries and is in serious condition.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
End of story.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AsianML
End of story.
Haha, agreed.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
+2

How can a parent loose track of his child like that? That just shows that most comments in this thread about parenting are right on the mark. But I guess a technology crutch is a good excuse for those who can't handle the responsibility.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
You're kidding me right?

Get over it.
I had to jump into this. Seat Belts weren't standard in the 60's. A lot of people died! Doctors hawked cigarettes! So now where's your argument?

THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS SHEAR STUPIDITY!

As technology changes and becomes available it should be used!

Just like sugar in COKE, Parking Radar should be a standard in all vehicles. If it saves one life, it is worth it. The mark-up on cars is insane. Airbags, side impact rails, kneebags... if it adds any level of safety it's worth it.

Now, as far as MB. Hell, they talk out of TWO sides of their face. They scream we're safe!!! Look at how safe our cars are!! Yea, if you're inside it.
They have the means and motive to put Parktronic standard on every vehicle they make, they are cheep. Period! The entire system might add $50-$75 bucks to the cost of a vehicle. Bury that into the cost, say it's free! Boom a PR Departments dream. It's win-win!

Many American manufacturers put it on the vehicle! and OnStar (which is free for the first year)

I had an Acura RL. Park Radar, and a Back-up camera. And nothing is a substitute for being a responsible driver. Turn around and look behind you!
Before you get in the car have a look behind the vehicle!

The one time a kid runs behind the car as you are backing up chasing as ball, is the time you swallow your heart, break out into a sweat, and thank GOD that you had Park Radar, because you don't have to live with the death of a kid on your conscience.

Hell, just make it a $200 option, and I'd bet on an MB everyone would add it.
You can find aftermarket sensors on eBay for $20 bucks! Let's just have it made in China!

-editor

Last edited by editor58; 11-06-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by editor58
Hell, just make it a $200 option, and I'd bet on an MB everyone would add it.

-editor
I have no problem with adding it to P2 or something and I understand and support why the OP wants it for the car, but I wouldn't pay $200 for it as a stand alone option.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBTex
I have no problem with adding it to P2 or something and I understand and support why the OP wants it for the car, but I wouldn't pay $200 for it as a stand alone option.

It should be added into a package, or become a Standard Safety feature.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why I want Parktronic