C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why I want Parktronic

Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Originally Posted by editor58
It should be added into a package, or become a Standard Safety feature.
+1 to that.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 AM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Thanks "editor58." That was a great, well thought out reply. I agree that Parktronic should be standard and I believe in the years to come a backup monitor will be required by US law. I just can't believe that MBUSA won't even offer Parktronic as an option. They probably feel that when they have offered it as a option on some models that drivers didn't really want it. Of course, their ridiculous asking price turned people off. Since it is a safety item, they should either make Parktronic standard or offer it at factory cost plus a reasonable markup.
Thanks again editor 58.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If enough people are willing to pay for it, it will most probably become available. Considering how much people in the US complain about the supposedly "high" price of MB cars and any options, it should become more apparent why MBUSA does not feel there is enough demand.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
Thanks "editor58." That was a great, well thought out reply. I agree that Parktronic should be standard and I believe in the years to come a backup monitor will be required by US law. I just can't believe that MBUSA won't even offer Parktronic as an option. They probably feel that when they have offered it as a option on some models that drivers didn't really want it. Of course, their ridiculous asking price turned people off. Since it is a safety item, they should either make Parktronic standard or offer it at factory cost plus a reasonable markup.
Thanks again editor 58.
I have to let you all in on a secret. Which isn't any more... I guess!

I have a LOADED SLK 55 on order. My Dealer put in a request to AMG to have Parktronic installed. Since he worked for MB in Germany, he has many HIGH friends in LOW places . I got word yesterday that they will install Parktronic in my 55 because it's still on the line in production.

It will be the only SLK 55 in the entire US with Parktronic. For that, who cares??!! But for me, I decided that the $900 difference was worth the investment is safety. I had priced aftermarket for $800... rears only. So, there you have it. Since the SLK 55 in Europe has Parktronic as an offered option, they gave in and allowed me to have it. It was a 100 to 1 shot.

I'm happy... the money??? WTF it's already overpriced so I at least feel better that MB is rubbing my back as I take in the BOOT.

I'm guessing that in 2009, it will be in a package or an option. The SL's have it!

For those of you who say "Parktronic on an SLK?? Is he a moron??"

No, not at all.

1) I am spoiled, and have it on my other cars, some... MUCH cheaper.
2) I have kids. Yes, I'm a responsible parent... When I leave, I lock them in an abandoned refrigerator!
3) When I drove the SLK I thought the front was really low (high curbs are gonna love the front bumper cover) and: Have you tried to look out the rear window??

Parktronic is NOT "the end all and the be all" it's just one more item that should have been standard on the vehicle. I look at it like this: I get to pay $900 to fix a design mistake made by MB.... aren't I lucky??

-editor

On Order:
SLK 55
Iridium Silver / Red-Black Interior
AMG 030
Command / Nav
Lighting
iPod
Bluetooth
Stewie Griffith Laser Package
... and everything else
Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I love how everyone complains about the price of Mercedes being too high but then they want all these options as standard. Is anyone else paying attention to the currency?? Everytime they sell a car here now they basically get half when they convert it to Euros. And also in Europe all these cars cost much more. So on a $100,000 S-Class they are getting 50,000 Euros for a car they charge over 100,000 Euros there.

Give them a break. I'm all for adding to available OPTIONS, but they can't make everything standard, it's just not financially feasible.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to let you all in on a secret. Which isn't any more... I guess!

I have a LOADED SLK 55 on order. My Dealer put in a request to AMG to have Parktronic installed. Since he worked for MB in Germany, he has many HIGH friends in LOW places . I got word yesterday that they will install Parktronic in my 55 because it's still on the line in production.

It will be the only SLK 55 in the entire US with Parktronic. For that, who cares??!! But for me, I decided that the $900 difference was worth the investment is safety. I had priced aftermarket for $800... rears only. So, there you have it. Since the SLK 55 in Europe has Parktronic as an offered option, they gave in and allowed me to have it. It was a 100 to 1 shot.

I'm happy... the money??? WTF it's already overpriced so I at least feel better that MB is rubbing my back as I take in the BOOT.

I'm guessing that in 2009, it will be in a package or an option. The SL's have it!

For those of you who say "Parktronic on an SLK?? Is he a moron??"

No, not at all.

1) I am spoiled, and have it on my other cars, some... MUCH cheaper.
2) I have kids. Yes, I'm a responsible parent... When I leave, I lock them in an abandoned refrigerator!
3) When I drove the SLK I thought the front was really low (high curbs are gonna love the front bumper cover) and: Have you tried to look out the rear window??

Parktronic is NOT "the end all and the be all" it's just one more item that should have been standard on the vehicle. I look at it like this: I get to pay $900 to fix a design mistake made by MB.... aren't I lucky??

-editor

On Order:
SLK 55
Iridium Silver / Red-Black Interior
AMG 030
Command / Nav
Lighting
iPod
Bluetooth
Stewie Griffith Laser Package
... and everything else
You may think you have the only one, but MB has done special orders for a LONG time, it is quite possible others have ordered it, possibly designo editions too. In fact, I have a thread about options available for the W204 in Europe not offered in the US: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/215526-special-optional-equipment-w204.html

I personally would like more options to be available to the US consumer, but I do not expect any more standard equipment at these prices / exchange rates.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
You may think you have the only one, but MB has done special orders for a LONG time, it is quite possible others have ordered it, possibly design editions too. In fact, I have a thread about options available for the W204 in Europe not offered in the US: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215526

I personally would like more options to be available to the US consumer, but I do not expect any more standard equipment at these prices / exchange rates.
You are quite right. It is certainly possible. It is how my dealer phrased it so I just went along with it. I have noticed the AMG site has options for Coral Carpet and Red thread double stitched seats. I ordered the small antenna from Germany because I do not like the whip that's on the car. I think it looks better un-seen.
I'm just hoping for a trouble free roadster when I get it in early December.

-editor
Old 11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
You can be responsible parent, but others not. For example neighbor kids can appear on your drive way just at time when you backing up. I had to ask my wife to watch when I getting my car from garage. Stupid BMW, they do not offer parctronic either.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Dema
You can be responsible parent, but others not. For example neighbor kids can appear on your drive way just at time when you backing up. I had to ask my wife to watch when I getting my car from garage. Stupid BMW, they do not offer parctronic either.
And that pisses me off. They don't deserve to be parents. Anybody can make babies, taking care of them is another matter.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 AM

2008 C350 and 2003 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
expensive technology? remember that VCRs and CD players used to cost $1,000 and now CD players are $19 at Walmart.
Boy you guys are young VCRs were $2700 back in 1973 and they were big as microwave ovens.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by AsianML
And that pisses me off. They don't deserve to be parents. Anybody can make babies, taking care of them is another matter.
So what to do with African children who are hungry and asking for our help? Should we just neglect them? We are humans and should take care of kids people who can't be good parent for some reasons. It is our reality.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
So what to do with African children who are hungry and asking for our help? Should we just neglect them? We are humans and should take care of kids people who can't be good parent for some reasons. It is our reality.
I agree, but I think we wandered WAY off topic. That topic has been moved to the Oprah forum.

Now to get there, you go to the end of this hallway, make a left. Go past 4 doors and take the hallway on the right. Once you're there you count up 6 more doors, but don't count the janitor closet and make another right. You go down that hallway and you'll see red fire extinguisher. Don't confuse that with the yellow fire extinguisher, that's just in case of an electrical fire. Just past that, you take the hallway on your left, and walk past four perpendicular hallways until you see the fish tank. This is the Tropical Tank, don't confuse this with the Marine Tank that's two hallways back. Make another left...

BOOM That was the sound of me blowing a hole in my head... Thank you for taking our tour!

I have my Parktronic in my on order SLK 55, I'm just too happy!

-editor
Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
You interpreted my post incorrectly. Reread it.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I agree, but I think we wandered WAY off topic. That topic has been moved to the Oprah forum.

Now to get there, you go to the end of this hallway, make a left. Go past 4 doors and take the hallway on the right. Once you're there you count up 6 more doors, but don't count the janitor closet and make another right. You go down that hallway and you'll see red fire extinguisher. Don't confuse that with the yellow fire extinguisher, that's just in case of an electrical fire. Just past that, you take the hallway on your left, and walk past four perpendicular hallways until you see the fish tank. This is the Tropical Tank, don't confuse this with the Marine Tank that's two hallways back. Make another left...

BOOM That was the sound of me blowing a hole in my head... Thank you for taking our tour!

I have my Parktronic in my on order SLK 55, I'm just too happy!

-editor
I still think its a waste of money.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I still think its a waste of money.
Stiggs:

I can think of a lot of other things that top Parktronic as a waste of money.

1) Pumpkin Ice Cream
2) $4000 World Series Tickets for 2
3) Broadway at $700 bucks a seat
4) SW restaurant at the Wynn $490 - Crappy Meal
5) Gas at $4.00 /gal - it's coming!
6) Trinity Yacht - 140 foot - $ 80 Million
7) Barry Manilow at any price
8) Barbra Streisand @ $40 Bucks

Most of my wife's shoes!

-editor
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Stiggs:

I can think of a lot of other things that top Parktronic as a waste of money.

1) Pumpkin Ice Cream
2) $4000 World Series Tickets for 2
3) Broadway at $700 bucks a seat
4) SW restaurant at the Wynn $490 - Crappy Meal
5) Gas at $4.00 /gal - it's coming!
6) Trinity Yacht - 140 foot - $ 80 Million
7) Barry Manilow at any price
8) Barbra Streisand @ $40 Bucks

Most of my wife's shoes!

-editor
OK
You got me on that one.
I guess just as long as you enjoy your car thats all that matters. But in all honesty...am I really that wrong in saying we need better parents out there.

P.S The SLK55 is awesome. Congrats.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
OK
You got me on that one.
I guess just as long as you enjoy your car thats all that matters. But in all honesty...am I really that wrong in saying we need better parents out there.

P.S The SLK55 is awesome. Congrats.
HELL NO!! There's no substitute for good parenting! That was never an issue.
For me, it's the things I can't control that run behind me!

Mid December delivery... maybe.

-editor
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
HELL NO!! There's no substitute for good parenting! That was never an issue.
For me, it's the things I can't control that run behind me!

Mid December delivery... maybe.

-editor
Hey, when you get the car come over to AMGPower.com you can come to our GTG's and meet us in person.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Hey, when you get the car come over to AMGPower.com you can come to our GTG's and meet us in person.
Sounds like a plan! Giggidy Giggidy Goo!

-editor
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 PM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
If MINI can offer Park Distance Control on the Cooper (and they did), why won't MB offer it on all their cars in the US ?

My QX56 had rear parktronic and a rear view cam... both were very helpful.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by 201mph
If MINI can offer Park Distance Control on the Cooper (and they did), why won't MB offer it on all their cars in the US ?

If you need ANY form of park assist on a Mini, there are other problems you need to worry about, IMHO.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 201mph

Originally Posted by AsianML
If you need ANY form of park assist on a Mini, there are other problems you need to worry about, IMHO.
This is exactly what I talking about. SMART, FUN people open to an invigorating discussion without sniping each other. That's why we have chocolate and vanilla.

In a MINI, you need to worry about an SUV broadsiding you. ALSO, in a MINI, you might be typically aggressive about parking in very tight places. NYC is MINI heaven. You can park a MINI where you might not want to park an SLK 55. Fear of bumper gouging is certainly one reason.

-editor
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
This is exactly what I talking about. SMART, FUN people open to an invigorating discussion without sniping each other. That's why we have chocolate and vanilla.

In a MINI, you need to worry about an SUV broadsiding you. ALSO, in a MINI, you might be typically aggressive about parking in very tight places. NYC is MINI heaven. You can park a MINI where you might not want to park an SLK 55. Fear of bumper gouging is certainly one reason.

-editor
But wait; what examples you did list for the needing it in a Mini can all be controlled by you. What's the purpose of the park assist then?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55

In a MINI, you need to worry about an SUV broadsiding you.
-editor
I don't think parktronic is going to help that.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
I did NOT order Parktronic for my Cooper S. The need for it wasn't my point.

I appreciated the fact that it was OFFERED. And MINI USA was willing to let the buyer decide, with his wallet, whether he wanted it or not.

There are a lot of people who enjoy these cars, but for one reason or another, have difficulty parking. In my wife's case, it's result of a two vertebrae fusions over the last 15 years, the first one being a double fusion.

Thus, all of the cars that she drives have to have Parktronic, either factory or aftermarket. Its good to hear that MBUSA occasionally allows a special order to sneak through like that.

We did that previously with BMW when she wanted a new 7 in an exterior/interior combination that wasn't "permitted" at the time... (titanium silver/cream beige), and we may pursue that avenue with MB for her next car.

Thanks for posting the codes.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why I want Parktronic