C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Why I want Parktronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I don't think parktronic is going to help that.
re: MINI collision with SUV!

How right you are! But, it a great topic of conversation you can have
with the EMT's as they put your almost lifeless body in the back of the bus!

"Ya know, I may never walk again... thank GOD I have Parktronic"
-Peter Griffin

[You have to see the video on the site!! http://www.familyguy.com/ ]
Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 PM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
I got em and i love em. its easy to park in garage or anywhere with park sensors. You can call it lazy or what ever but its a convenience and i like it a lot.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
I got em and i love em. its easy to park in garage or anywhere with park sensors. You can call it lazy or what ever but its a convenience and i like it a lot.
I had them on a recently sold Acura RL with a back up camera.

My feeling, if you have a screen in your dash, REVERSE should activate a back up camera. It not much $$ to do it and cameras in mass cost pennies... well a few bucks. The sensors, even less! Anyone who blows off safety in any form is IMO a moron in need of a reminding accident! Woulda, shulda, cudda... "I just didn't see you mame! --Please don't sue me".

We have the technology... why not use it?

-editor
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by editor58
re: MINI collision with SUV!

How right you are! But, it a great topic of conversation you can have
with the EMT's as they put your almost lifeless body in the back of the bus!

"Ya know, I may never walk again... thank GOD I have Parktronic"
-Peter Griffin

[You have to see the video on the site!! http://www.familyguy.com/ ]
OT: Are you an EMT or are you in the field?

On-topic-ish: I still don't see how Parktronic would help avoid a collision against an SUV.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Smile In late...

I am a little late to the conversation, but a few points to touch on:

1. Parktronic is a wonderful addition to your safety and others. You have to already posses good driving habits and safety when parking, reverse, etc.

2. Yes, I see a disturbing trend on people on this forum period that act like depraved spoiled children, that must make fun or insult others. I really do think some people are real posers and morons or think they are "elite" or something. No one is above anyone else, despite what car you drive or what money you have. We are all human, and we can discuss things like intelligent people. Jim has a point, and while yes a driver you are responsible, it still is a good point.

3. Parktronic and cameras come on Hyundai, Kia, and many other cars for much cheaper. I feel that MB should offer these safety systems as standard for the price point on their cars. I really don't car who disagrees with that, unless you are a dealer or a few marbles short you would disagree with it. I am sick and tired on consumers that act like mindless robots. Demand more for your money! Stop accepting less, for more money.

Off my soapbox....

Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bigben320e
I am a little late to the conversation, but a few points to touch on:

1. Parktronic is a wonderful addition to your safety and others. You have to already posses good driving habits and safety when parking, reverse, etc.

2. Yes, I see a disturbing trend on people on this forum period that act like depraved spoiled children, that must make fun or insult others. I really do think some people are real posers and morons or think they are "elite" or something. No one is above anyone else, despite what car you drive or what money you have. We are all human, and we can discuss things like intelligent people. Jim has a point, and while yes a driver you are responsible, it still is a good point.

3. Parktronic and cameras come on Hyundai, Kia, and many other cars for much cheaper. I feel that MB should offer these safety systems as standard for the price point on their cars. I really don't car who disagrees with that, unless you are a dealer or a few marbles short you would disagree with it. I am sick and tired on consumers that act like mindless robots. Demand more for your money! Stop accepting less, for more money.

Off my soapbox....

Ok so you come on here and tell everyone that they are acting like children yet then say that if anyone disagrees with you they are "a few marbles short?" Sounds like your the one that has the logic of a child.

I believe my marbles are intact and I still believe that Parktronic should be OFFERED on all models, standard on some, optional on others.

Maybe your the one that is a few marbles short or you might have noticed the currency situation and how the dollar keeps dropping against the Euro and that Mercedes keeps getting less and less for a car sold here in the US than they do in Europe. Not to mention that we pay less than anywhere in the world to begin with.

Perhaps everyone should consider that before they "demand" that MB add more features at no additional cost.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pmb600
Ok so you come on here and tell everyone that they are acting like children yet then say that if anyone disagrees with you they are "a few marbles short?" Sounds like your the one that has the logic of a child.

I believe my marbles are intact and I still believe that Parktronic should be OFFERED on all models, standard on some, optional on others.

Maybe your the one that is a few marbles short or you might have noticed the currency situation and how the dollar keeps dropping against the Euro and that Mercedes keeps getting less and less for a car sold here in the US than they do in Europe. Not to mention that we pay less than anywhere in the world to begin with.

Perhaps everyone should consider that before they "demand" that MB add more features at no additional cost.
Excellent post, +1 from me.

MB are not just cheaper in the US than anywhere else in the world, they are half the price or less than they would cost anywhere else (except Canada, where they are only 20-25% more).

Let us look at the W204, C350 with every available option. MSRP through European Delivery is US$ 42.859, which equals €28.882, that car would cost over €50.000 anywhere else in Europe. In Denmark, the C350 starts at US$200.000.

So when it comes to buying a MB in the US, customers get more for their money every day.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim

MB are not just cheaper in the US than anywhere else in the world, they are half the price or less than they would cost anywhere else (except Canada, where they are only 20-25% more).

Let us look at the W204, C350 with every available option. MSRP through European Delivery is US$ 42.859, which equals €28.882, that car would cost over €50.000 anywhere else in Europe. In Denmark, the C350 starts at US$200.000.

So when it comes to buying a MB in the US, customers get more for their money every day.
Thats true, I paid 54,000 Euros for me Mercedes with only 180K lol you guys play a lot less man!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 AM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I'm not saying that things like Parktronic must be free. I just want the opportunity to purchase items like Parktronic and Seat Memory all in a Luxury Model with the 350 engine. MB can set the price on additional options and let us decide if they are worth it.
As to Parktronic, I can see the day when some type of backup monitor will be reauired by US law.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I completely agree that options should be made available, although I laugh at anyone asserting that MB charges too much for anything in the US.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim

Definately. One thing to keep in mind though, is Mercedes are outrageously more expensive in some places because of governement taxes and tarrifs not Mercedes pricing.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Definately. One thing to keep in mind though, is Mercedes are outrageously more expensive in some places because of governement taxes and tarrifs not Mercedes pricing.
Now that is definately true. Many governments charge import tariffs that are many times higher than in the US, and especially so for luxury items. The goal is to encourage their citizens to buy locally and gouge those who simply must have the MB.

So, thinking of all of that, I doubt the actual price difference is as much MB's decision to jack up the price as it is simply a reflection of how much it costs MB to sell a car in a particular country.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 Mars Red SLK55
Well guys, according to some rumors, I hear that parktronic, memory seats, and keyless go are going to be made available in 09.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by smoothbznf4n4tc
Well guys, according to some rumors, I hear that parktronic, memory seats, and keyless go are going to be made available in 09.
Keyless Go and Memory Seats I see coming, but Parktronic I doubt.

I hope I am wrong though.

I really also hope that if they do Keyless Go they don't charge $1000 for it like they do on the other models. It will never sell at that price, and then they will take it away for 2010.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
And you are willing to pay what for each? Keep in mind the $ versus EURO rate and the threads above discussing it.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
If I could get a 350 Luxury model with Memory and Parktronic I would be willing to pay about $4,000 premium.
From a factory cost standpoint, I believe that a 350 engine, which is identical to the 300, except for displacement, would cost essentially the same. Parktronic factory cost should be under $200. Seat memory should also cost ne more than $200.
Therefore, a $4,000 premium should yield a good profit for MB even with the bad dollar exchange.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
If I could get a 350 Luxury model with Memory and Parktronic I would be willing to pay about $4,000 premium.
From a factory cost standpoint, I believe that a 350 engine, which is identical to the 300, except for displacement, would cost essentially the same. Parktronic factory cost should be under $200. Seat memory should also cost ne more than $200.
Therefore, a $4,000 premium should yield a good profit for MB even with the bad dollar exchange.

Someone is forgetting NRE, cost of components, design, testing, overhead, warranty, etc.

Better up your amount. Exchange rate is almost EURO 1.5 -> $1
Old 11-27-2007, 10:03 PM

clk 500 2003
once u have parktronic or any other system its harder to park without it, i personally believe some people need parktronic not as a guide but as it doing it for them, as they couldn't park without it regardless to space.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:16 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
[QUOTE=amdeutsch;2524760]

"Someone is forgetting NRE, cost of components, design, testing, overhead, warranty, etc."

Non recurring engineering and tooling costs have to have been written off a long time ago. These engines, the memory components and Parktronic have been in production for years. They should be at the point in production where their recurring costs are primarily materials and labor.

I don't mind paying for things I want. It cost me close to $5,000 to get a 2006 C350 over the C280. I knew the price was excessive but I wanted the 350 performance. In fact, I sold my 2006 E350 to get the C350 since after a test drive I realized i would rather drive the C350.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=MB-JIM;2524840]
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

"Someone is forgetting NRE, cost of components, design, testing, overhead, warranty, etc."

Non recurring engineering and tooling costs have to have been written off a long time ago. These engines, the memory components and Parktronic have been in production for years. They should be at the point in production where their recurring costs are primarily materials and labor.
First, how can you expect the development costs for the W204 to be anywhere near paid off? The engine is just one component of the drivetrain that could be carried over. The memory components and parktronic help to pay for development costs that went into the rest of the car.

Regardless, I doubt anyone here knows exactly what kind of amortization MB planned for every aspect of each model.

And in response to an earlier post, the EU does not allow tarrifs from within the EU. The only country that manages to get around this is Denmark, with a nearly 200% car tax, but they have been sued by the EEC and are looked down upon for this.

Switzerland has only a 6% VAT, and Germany recently up to 19% (which is above the EU allowance). So the price of cars within Europe (except Denmark) is almost entirely a reflection of preferential pricing for the US.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 S class
I just ordered a C350 and i have been looking for something better than the crap parking sensors that mercedes is trying to sell. I found these today from the same guys who sold me my headrest system and they look pretty much like factory parktronic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQzdxX2-NI
Old 12-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by dmills
I just ordered a C350 and i have been looking for something better than the crap parking sensors that mercedes is trying to sell. I found these today from the same guys who sold me my headrest system and they look pretty much like factory parktronic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQzdxX2-NI

Front one was ok but the back one is not at a good location as if there is a person sitting in the middle of the back seat the view for the visuals will be blocked. The ideal location for the back sensor visuals is on the roof just after the rear seat reading lights so you can actually see it in the rear view mirror. instead of turning around to look for em..... heheheheh

Last edited by lx Raven xl; 12-05-2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Smile

Perhaps you should try to read what I said again. I never said that everyone acts like children. I said some users that come and make fun of others and insult people are acting like children. There have been many complaints about this on many areas on this forum. There was even a case of someone calling everyone else "bottom feeders" and did not deserve to drive Mercedes. Big difference to your statement.

Maybe I was a little harsh on the marbles piece, and you do have a point on the euro vs us dollar. That's a good viewpoint, no need to insult. However, why wouldn't you want more for your money? That's the point I did make, and I said if anyone disagreed with that they were a few marbles short. I was being in general, not just about a car or parktronic.

On the Parktronic part, I totally agreed with your statement. You are restating my thought, it should offered on some, standard on others. I just think I was misunderstood altogether, but no harm done.

Last edited by bigben320e; 12-05-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
People managed without ABS, ESP, TCS, VDC, 50 airbags, brake primer, disc brakes, brake drying system, etc. Hell, my first car was a 68 Cadi and I survived a snowy winter in Chicago with summer tires on just fine.

The point is backup sensors are a "relatively" new safety technology that can prevent people from running over a toddler. With or without ABS, if you speed, follow too close, or drive too fast for the road condtion, and smash into something, you take the responsibility. ABS just helps to reduce the chances of crash. MB boasts itself for being the first for many safety technologies out there, and rightfully so. It's just that, it'll be nice to see this cheap, yet effective safety feature come as standard option.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Dema
Company can fire marketing people if they will provide equal equipped car for every country. They have to provide some market analysis which supposes to save millions. Actually it isn't easy to say how many millions MB lost due marketing mistakes. I can tell that underpowered engine is less disturbing me then not providing standard luxury features like memory seats, parktronic, keyless go and others, which other makers offer. Of course MB won't lose MB fanatics which will be happy with completely stripped and underpowered car carrying MB badge. Perhaps MB just gave up in this segment in US market. E class keeps much stronger position and leads in sales over 5 series or GS. So low sales of C in US do not bring any worry. I'd say, not happy with options of C class, then go to competitors. Do not like competitors? Go to aftermarket, or buy MB as is.

C-class in US is the best selling MB model, not the E. MB don't put parking sensors in the c-class as standard because they believe most US consumers do not care for it. If all of the consumers have your attitude, then the car markers would just have their ways and will not even bother to listen to us.

In asia, even toyota corolla have power folding side mirrors and parking sensors. Why? because streets are smaller and parking is tight. People wanted it, car maker will make them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why I want Parktronic