C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Backup camera on non-MM (parktronic alternative)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
Backup camera on non-MM (parktronic alternative)

For those in desperate need of a parking assist option there is good news (well.... sort of).

A local car audio-video shop assured me that they can install a backup camera and get it to show on the standard radio screen. They say that it will look as an OEM backup camera, with no perceivable mods other than the tiny camera on the back.

The bad news... they're charging me $2k for the system (which i'm not going to install cause i think it is too much), but I would rather pay $2k for a backup camera than $1200 for the quickpark.

They reason for the high price is that there is only one compnay (accoring to the shop) that installs the video input system on the original MB screen. So they have to send the entire radio to Florida where that company will install 2 video inputs to the radio; this alone costs $1000. When the radio gets back to the shop they start working on the camera, which is an other $1000 (camera + wires + labor). There is an extra video input that could be used for a dvd player, ipod, etc. But I dont like mods that are perceivables, so I wouldn't use it.

I think that if one company in Florida found a way to tap into the video of the MB screem, its just a matter of time till a more afortable option is available.

Let me know what you think.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK500 SPORT
Originally Posted by Bokx_350
For those in desperate need of a parking assist option there is good news (well.... sort of).

A local car audio-video shop assured me that they can install a backup camera and get it to show on the standard radio screen. They say that it will look as an OEM backup camera, with no perceivable mods other than the tiny camera on the back.

The bad news... they're charging me $2k for the system (which i'm not going to install cause i think it is too much), but I would rather pay $2k for a backup camera than $1200 for the quickpark.

They reason for the high price is that there is only one compnay (accoring to the shop) that installs the video input system on the original MB screen. So they have to send the entire radio to Florida where that company will install 2 video inputs to the radio; this alone costs $1000. When the radio gets back to the shop they start working on the camera, which is an other $1000 (camera + wires + labor). There is an extra video input that could be used for a dvd player, ipod, etc. But I dont like mods that are perceivables, so I wouldn't use it.

I think that if one company in Florida found a way to tap into the video of the MB screem, its just a matter of time till a more afortable option is available.

Let me know what you think.

yeah i think im going to talk to mid city engineering see what they can come up with
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Ask MBENZNL if they can do it for that much with factory parts.