C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

a few interesting observations...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
a few interesting observations...

I'm still awaiting for delivery of my C300 Sport 4Matic, after a few test drives and many thorough examinations I've found some interesting observations (sorry, some of these may be a repost):

1. Why is the lens for the side mirror indicators so huge? The LED strip is only take up the lower half of the lens, IMO it will look much more elegant if the lens is just a thin strip. That is why I opted for the chrome mirror housings.

2. The windshield wipers seem extremely tiny. I'm sure they work well, but they look strangely short (looks like they should be twice as long) and the metal arms look cheap and old. I remember the huge single arm wiper on older Mercedes and that looked really slick and solid.

3. The Command dial is a bit of an overkill for cars not equipped with the MM package, as it only controls the radio. The trip computer, car program settings and iPod integration kit (if equipped) are controlled by the steering wheel buttons and not by the Command dial. It would make sense to consolidate all the controls to the dial. Though the Command dial is pretty to look at, I'd rather make do without it since you could already control the stereo from the steering wheel and on the dash.

4. Why is the AUX input in the glovebox and not on the dash or on the armrest/cupholders? Unless you rely on a long playlist or have a passenger to play DJ, I can't imagine keeping your iPod stowed away in the glovebox that is not very easy to access when driving. A better reason to pay extra for the iPod integration kit, or I'd guess with some parts from Radio Shack and some wiring you could add an AUX jack to the armrest/cupholder.

5. While many carmakers have LED tail lights these days (even on cars that cost almost half the price), most of them have them for both the turn signals AND brake lights. I don't know why MB (who are at the forefront of technology and safety) chose to do only the turn signals if you go with the P2 option package.

6. For those who ordered the P1 package, only one of the row of four buttons between the heated seat buttons is operable (for the power rear sunshade). I'm not a big fan of dummy buttons as it reminds me of econobox cars or you were too cheap to afford the other options. I'm wondering what the other 3 blank buttons are for -- I believe the AMG C63 and Brabus Bullit C has 2 of the 4 buttons operable, possibly for the advanced Agility control or traction control disengage. I'm guessing maybe they are for the rear wipers and power liftgate on the wagon model.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm complaining, I'm really excited when my car gets here!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
I will comment on 1. 2. & 5.....

1) I don't like the big lenses on the mirrors from a design standpoint, but for function I bet it's cheaper to replace the plastic lens which aids in a little more protection against rock chips and bugs.

2) I believe the short wipers are just for shipping, the dealer will swap them out with larger blades after the PDI process.

5) Bugs me too, I was behind an '07 E350 today and was literally blinded by the light. Thats a good thing, on our car only the CHMSL is super bright, it also bugs me when a car tails don't match. If the CHMSL is an LED than the rest should be, if the CHMSL is a bulb than the rest should be etc...

-Ryan
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
1. Chrome housings? Elegant? Chrome and elegant don't mix in my vocabulary.

2. Shipping wipers.

3. Agreed.

4. Agreed.

5. No opinion, don't care.

6. No row of buttons present.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
1. I agree that the mirrors are a bit large, but I've already gotten over it. I do not like the Chrome housings, especially not on the white car. Maybe on Pall. Silver or Steel Grey.

2. +1 on Shipping wipers

3. I agree and think they probably should have just done away with it in cars without MM. However it is a good way to change radio stations without reaching for the radio.

4. I also agree. I assume MB just wanted to get it someplace out of sight so you can leave your IPod plugged in without having it out for potential "Evil Doers" to see.

5. I ordered P2 and am really looking forward to the LED blinkers. However I must agree with CarGuru in that I have also seen the taillights on a new E and the whole package just looked so much nicer.

6. Power rear sunshade is only available with P2 in the US. I agree that unused buttons should not be there, but I haven't noticed any in the cars I've been in.

Last edited by MBTex; 10-10-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM

w204-C300
1. I agree that the mirrors are strange, I like the old type better. But Brabus got carbon fibre that cover the upper part of the housing. It looks nice.

4. But we can control the Ipod from steering wheel right? (or maybe the Command dial, I forgot)

5. I agree with you on this one. It is gonna be much nicer if they make the brake light LED. Maybe the facelift version will be LED; Hope so.

Last edited by Andr3an; 10-10-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:07 AM

red bicycle
Originally Posted by MBTex
6. Power rear sunshade is only available with P2 in the US. I agree that unused buttons should not be there, but I haven't noticed any in the cars I've been in.
I don't like blank buttons, but M-B is not the only culprit. The Audi A6 and A8 have blank buttons too:
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/A...2005/Stack.jpg
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/A...ages/Stack.jpg