C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Active Xenon Headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi TTR soon to be Merc C320CDI Sport
Active Xenon Headlamps

I've found an interesting new feature.....(maybe it is in the manual which I haven't read yet!)

My UK C320CDi Sport is equipped with Active Xenon headlamps.

Occasionally when driving with the headlamps on (Automatic Mode) I would catch a reflection of the car in a shop window and notice one of the front fog/driving lamps on as well.

When I checked both fog/driving lights they were both working so I couldn't understand (1) why they were on at all and (2) why only one would be lit.

When I spoke to my MB dealer I was advised this was a feature! Namely when turning with the lights on, the car automatically lights the appropriate fog/front driving light to aid lighting the corner (part of the active light pack)

In the UK, using your fog/front driving light is illegal unless visibility is below a certain level (i.e. fog). I challenged my MB dealer about this function and he advised me this feature is actually okay.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon, 1958 MGA Roadster
We have that here, too. My wife cam in last night and said one of her fog lights was burned out already in less than a week. I asked why she had the fogs on anyway, and she said she didn't think she turned them on.

So we went out and she turned on only the headlight. Sure enough, just one side was lit. I asked her to turn the wheel, and as she did, the other side came on and the first one faded out. Cool feature, but I wonder what it will do to bulb life?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:15 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
I think in UK the Bi-xenon works differently. In UK, the projector in the headlamp will turn the direction your steering wheel is turned. However, in the US, only one side of the foglamp lights up..
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by GPI
I think in UK the Bi-xenon works differently. In UK, the projector in the headlamp will turn the direction your steering wheel is turned. However, in the US, only one side of the foglamp lights up..
That option is available on certain classes here in the states, my ML has the curve illuminating headlamps and foglamps, but a look at the website says that the C class is only available with the fog lamps.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:18 PM

c220 cdi sport
Originally Posted by AH9999
In the UK, using your fog/front driving light is illegal unless visibility is below a certain level (i.e. fog). I challenged my MB dealer about this function and he advised me this feature is actually okay.
Actually, it's using the rear fog lights that is illegal in the UK if there is no fog. Not the front ones. the reason being that the rear fog light can be quite 'blinding'.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Yes in UK the Bi-X is active, it swivels with the steering wheel and also one fog lamp is on when turning at low speed and turn signal is on.

Also UK cars can get ILS as an option, which I have discussed and not elaborate here.

In US / Canada the Bi-X is not active, and ILS not available.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
x166 GLS350d Sport, Peugeot 5008
Originally Posted by QQQ
Yes in UK the Bi-X is active, it swivels with the steering wheel and also one fog lamp is on when turning at low speed and turn signal is on.

Also UK cars can get ILS as an option, which I have discussed and not elaborate here.

In US / Canada the Bi-X is not active, and ILS not available.
Hi there:

In Australia, when we have the Active Bi-Xenon package, we have 2 features. One is the cornering light, which is when you have your headlights on, you have switch on the turn indicator, and travelling at certain speed, I think no faster than 40Km/h (Can't remember the exact figure), the front fog light on the turn indicator you choose will switch on as well until you finish the turn, the that side of the front fog light will fade.

The other feature is the Active feature, which the headlight will swing at an angle while you are turning (again, I can't remember the actual angle it will swing, but I think roughly is about 15 degree.....)

Hope the above information helps.

Regards
Alsocute.