C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Navi question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' MB C350 / 03' Lincoln Aviator
Navi question

Ok we've had the car for just over a week and took it out all weekend to get us closer thru the 1k break-in. I've been using a Garmin GPS for over 3 yrs and I'm beginning to think I've been spoiled at how easy it is to find POI's using the Garmin. All we wanted to do was find the nearest IHOP in town and the MB's Navi was driving us crazy. On a Garmin I would simply type in a POI (Restaurant) by Name (IHOP) and it would spit out all the IHOPs listed from nearest to farthest. I try this simple task it shows all the IHOPs in random order and doesnt show "Distance To" or any details unless you select one of the IHOPs and select "Details". Its a luck of the draw, whichever of the hundreds of IHOPs that come up on the screen can be anywhere from a few miles to a couple of hundred miles. I live in California and I think the 5th one on the list came up with an Arizona address. Is there anyway to have the Navi show the list of found POIs in order (Distance To) from nearest to farthest such as the Garmin does?

Last edited by maytag; 11-12-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
it already does that. You need to set the destination as to from current location to a POI. I use that all the time to find the nearest shell fuel station (nearest to my current location ) in assending order and it works like a charm. I live in Amsterdam.

I guess you need to play with it just a bit. you will get use to it.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
I read the original post and spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out...and I still couldn't. The first IHOP it gave me was 500mi away. It's definitely not intuitive.

How about a little more help? Step-by-step??
Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ryanrohaley
I read the original post and spent 20 minutes trying to figure it out...and I still couldn't. The first IHOP it gave me was 500mi away. It's definitely not intuitive.

How about a little more help? Step-by-step??
Thought I was the only one feeling like a MB Navigation newbie. I think I get what the Raven is talking about and I looked over the manual again but I cant try my luck at it again till the wife comes home with her 350. It sounds like a 2 step process where on a Garmin device its only one step. If one were to search for a POI by name the Garmin would already account for the current location as being the "current location". If I'm understanding Raven and the manual correctly the MB Navi must 1st be told that its current location is where to start the search from then we should be able to type in (ex. IHOP) and the listings found should be within the the local vicinity. Well I'll find out tonight, this was picking at my brain all last night. Other than that the C350 was just amazing throughout the entire 150+ miles we drove yesterday. Only about 200 more miles left before I can stomp on her (the car). hehe
Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 AM

Sorry for not being very clear. I am in me office so will try it in a bit and will post step by step instructions. One more thing you must take into account is that sometimes there is no nearby POI information present for a certain location. It depends on the MAP data MB provided us. I got the europe maps and POI data is almost very accurate for me. ( So Far )
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 AM

2008 C300 Sport
I was going to post the same question. Thanks for the help Raven.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 AM

the Steps . I will use an example: I wanted to find out the nearest SHELL filling station.

Navigation > Destination > From POI > Current location > Select the POI "filling station" > Select Shell > Nearest one was 1.5KM away from my current location!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2008 C300
Just curious if you get cd software to load on the navi.Reason I'm asking is I ordered a US spec but the dealer told me that the navi will not function here in Europe.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Originally Posted by sonosuke
Just curious if you get cd software to load on the navi.Reason I'm asking is I ordered a US spec but the dealer told me that the navi will not function here in Europe.
No. It is pre-loaded onto the hard drive.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 AM

the dealer should be able to load the europe maps on your hard drive. or ask them to load the europe maps in the navi in factory. They should be able to do that. And why you asked for US specs car? I do not see any difference other than few standard options plus the navigation map. and also the english lanuage lingotronic. I can switch to english in my dutch based Navi but then I have to spell the street name instead of saying the street name as a whole. in dutch mode i can say the full name of the street.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 AM

2008 C300
I ordered a USspec because we are not residing here permanently in Germany. I will need to be able to ship the car back to the states in a few years. The only thing I'm worried about is if they load the europe version, will I lose the US version.? I guess if I return to the states, I can have the dealer load the english version(free?).

Thanks for the suggestion. Have a nice day
Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 AM

I think due to the space limitation yes you might lose the US maps.

And in MB world nothing is free mate. In order to get the maps loaded I think they will charge you a handsome amount of money. I remember my bro buying new updated maps for BMW ( europe ) they costed him around 700 euros.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Palladium Silver C300 MM
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
the Steps . I will use an example: I wanted to find out the nearest SHELL filling station.

Navigation > Destination > From POI > Current location > Select the POI "filling station" > Select Shell > Nearest one was 1.5KM away from my current location!
Anyone know how to find a specific store in a specific city?
For example, Wal-Mart in Atlanta.

My experience so far with the navi - I HAVE to choose from POI "Category" when searching within a city, and sometimes store is not listed in that category (e.g., I can't find Wal-Mart under "Shopping").

If I try to search by POI Name, I will get a LIST of like 100 Wal-Marts, but I would not know their location until I look at the detail of that destination. And even with that, it's hard to find a Wal-Mart within a city -- becuase the list contains ALL of the Wal-mart within the US, and it simply doens't make sense to click thourgh all of them to find the one you want.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by vistapoints
If I try to search by POI Name, I will get a LIST of like 100 Wal-Marts, but I would not know their location until I look at the detail of that destination. And even with that, it's hard to find a Wal-Mart within a city -- becuase the list contains ALL of the Wal-mart within the US, and it simply doens't make sense to click thourgh all of them to find the one you want.
Exactly what I've experienced but with a little help from Raven and more manual reading I've kinda figured a usable solution for finding POIs, still not as easy as a Garmin Navi but sorta manageable.

1st I created Destinations of only the cities (Towns) of areas we would most likely use. Example CA, San Francisco with no street address.

Now if I'm in SF or close by and want to find the nearest restaurant to my current position by name I would still have to select Destination>In Memory> San Francisco to tell it what city to search in. Then I select POIs (bottom right of screen) and then select the Category>Restaurants>ALL. From this point I can start typing by name like "IHOP" and it show a list of IHOPs in SF from nearest to farthest to your current postion.

If youre in an area that youre not familiar with or dont know what City/Town youre in, you would need to "Save Current Postion" to memory then go back and select Destination>In Memory> (the recent saved location). Then search for restaurant or shopping etc.

Kinda tedious but its working for us, I'm use to the simplicity of Garmin's search function tho.

Searching for Restaurants within a city works this way but I tried searching for a BestBuy or Fry's Electronics and couldnt find a category within POIs that would search for a store name. WTF
Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
Now that's just lame. I keep hoping someone will come out and say that we were all just missing something. I spent another 20 min playing with this today hoping to find an easier way. Ummm...when is that navi software update coming out?? Grr!!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 PM

Palladium Silver C300 MM
Originally Posted by maytag
Exactly what I've experienced but with a little help from Raven and more manual reading I've kinda figured a usable solution for finding POIs, still not as easy as a Garmin Navi but sorta manageable.

1st I created Destinations of only the cities (Towns) of areas we would most likely use. Example CA, San Francisco with no street address.

Now if I'm in SF or close by and want to find the nearest restaurant to my current position by name I would still have to select Destination>In Memory> San Francisco to tell it what city to search in. Then I select POIs (bottom right of screen) and then select the Category>Restaurants>ALL. From this point I can start typing by name like "IHOP" and it show a list of IHOPs in SF from nearest to farthest to your current postion.

If youre in an area that youre not familiar with or dont know what City/Town youre in, you would need to "Save Current Postion" to memory then go back and select Destination>In Memory> (the recent saved location). Then search for restaurant or shopping etc.

Kinda tedious but its working for us, I'm use to the simplicity of Garmin's search function tho.

Searching for Restaurants within a city works this way but I tried searching for a BestBuy or Fry's Electronics and couldnt find a category within POIs that would search for a store name. WTF

agree -- stores without categories cannot be located within a vicinity with ease. this shortcoming needs to be addressed.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 PM

2007 Mercedes C230
Wink Has anybody seen the portable GPS mercedes Benz?

has anybody installed one of this Mercedes portable gps on the dasboard of a 2007 C230? is it possible to connect it using the speakers of the car?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I too have fornd a similat problem, I want to look for all Dunkin Donuts coffee
stores, when I go to coffee I only find Starbucks, when I type in and spell Dunkin Donuts It only lists a few not in close to far, in fact it lists the first one in Key 'west fla, I too wonder what I am missing or doing wrong.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Almost a Member!

C300 4 Matic
After using the MM Navi for about 4 months, I'm starting to realize how bad it is. It's so bad at finding stuff and it gives me the worst routes so many times. MB really needs to learn from other companies like Lexus.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Originally Posted by red309
After using the MM Navi for about 4 months, I'm starting to realize how bad it is. It's so bad at finding stuff and it gives me the worst routes so many times. MB really needs to learn from other companies like Lexus.
it's a known fact taht MB's Comand is a POS. lucky you have a w204, on the w203 it's even worse. it's ugly and you cant even specify a house address..