C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sirius without the P1 package!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 sport
Sirius without the P1 package!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there ne way to get aftermarket sirius without the p-1 package?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:05 PM

c300 sport
so....

basically is the standard stereo satellite ready.....someone must know this
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Hi JBerqs,

I don't know the answer for certain, but this is what is listed in the owner's online section. I hope this helps.

Dealership installation of SIRIUS Satellite Radio is available for the following vehicles:

S-Class, Model Year 2004-2006
E-Class Sedans, Model Year 2004-2006
E-Class Wagons, Model Year 2004-2005
CL-Class, Model Year 2004-2007
ML-Class, Model Year 2004-2006
R-Class, Model Year 2006
G-Class, Model Year 2004-2006
SL-Class, Model Year 2004-2005
SLK-Class, Model Year 2005-2007
CLK-Class Coupe, Model Year 2004-2007
CLK-Class Convertible, Model Year 2004-2007
C-Class Sedan, Model Year 2004-2006
C-Class Wagon, Model Year 2004-2005
C-Class Coupe, Model Year 2005
CLS-Class, Model Year 2005-2006
SIRIUS Satellite Radio is available as a factory option on most Model Year 2006 and newer vehicles. See your Preferred Mercedes-Benz Dealer for details. "SIRIUS," the SIRIUS dog logo and channel names and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. All other trademarks, service marks and logos are the property of their respective owners.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
why do you not want P1? I'd get it for the heated seats and power fold mirrors...the satellite radio is just a bonus.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
1. The basic radio units are the same across the board. So in theory, all one would need to do is have the Sirius part of the radio unlocked at the service department, add an antenna, and a subscription, should be good to go.

2. If you order P2 you get all the items in P1 as well. Just wanted to throw that out there just in case the poster was confused.

3. I'm all for getting the base model. If your in a warm climate, heated seats aren't a big plus for you, the folding mirrors are more gimmic than useful, if you have to fold your mirrors in to park somewhere, your going to have to Dukes of Hazard your way out cause your damn sure not opening the door. The homelink is nice, but can be added seperately. Problem I have found is that base models are near impossiable to find, you have to order one, so chances are you can get a deal on a P1 car and end up getting it for around the same price as a base model.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:51 AM

2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I was very disappointed that I have the Sirius Radio but not even one month of a free sample use.

My neighbor got a new Chrysler Town and Country Van and his Sirius radio came with a one year free demo.

How ever negotiated that deal with MB was not very sharp or he kept all the negotiated benefits for himself, MB.

Not very impressed.

Jorg
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM

2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by Jorg
I was very disappointed that I have the Sirius Radio but not even one month of a free sample use.

My neighbor got a new Chrysler Town and Country Van and his Sirius radio came with a one year free demo.

How ever negotiated that deal with MB was not very sharp or he kept all the negotiated benefits for himself, MB.

Not very impressed.

Jorg
That is not right, Jorg. It comes with 6 months free radio as a standard. Please double check with Sirius that they applied/setup the account correctly.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Stick Girl
That is not right, Jorg. It comes with 6 months free radio as a standard. Please double check with Sirius that they applied/setup the account correctly.
+1....I have 6 months free service as well. Check your Owner's Book and there should be a Sirius card in there that will tell you how to sign up for it. Basically you just call them up and give them the radio ID # for your car.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM

c300 sport
straight from the dealership

"The factory system it comes with is an 8 speaker 100 watt Panasonic sound system. I checked with service, and you cannot install satellite radio. Even we cannot install it. The only way to get satellite radio is to get the premium 1 package. "

Thanks

Alan Litrell

Mercedes Benz Sales Consultant

Keeler Motor Car Company

1111 Troy-Schenectady Rd

Latham, NY 12110

518-724-1015 ext 143

alitrell@keeler.com
Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by jberqs
"The factory system it comes with is an 8 speaker 100 watt Panasonic sound system. I checked with service, and you cannot install satellite radio. Even we cannot install it. The only way to get satellite radio is to get the premium 1 package. "

Thanks

Alan Litrell

Mercedes Benz Sales Consultant

Keeler Motor Car Company

1111 Troy-Schenectady Rd

Latham, NY 12110

518-724-1015 ext 143

alitrell@keeler.com
Go to a different dealer. The radio in a stock C is the same radio that is in a P1 C. The service department has to hook the car up to their computer and unlock the sirius features, install an antenna, and then you set up your account with sirius. The option is available on the Canada MB site for $475, which should be less in the states. Or you can go to Walmart, buy a $19.99 reciever and just plug it into the aux port lol.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:13 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
the folding mirrors are more gimmic than useful, if you have to fold your mirrors in to park somewhere, your going to have to Dukes of Hazard your way out cause your damn sure not opening the door.
Ha! I would generally agree, but I must have one of the few exceptions to this. Its called an old east coast house. and my concrete walled garage is tiny. When it was built, 1920's, I bet a Model T fit like a champ, but new cars no way. One of the reasons I bought the merc was the power folding mirrors, which, for example, the infiniti g35x doesn't have (passive folding mirrors). why do I need? cuz the power folding mirrors get me about 2 or 3 inches closer to the wall on the passenger side so that I can open the driver's door about half way!!! Its still tight to get out, but I can get out. Without those 2 or 3 inches, no way jose.

And, yes, I get nervous for my passenger side paint every time I slide the thing in. Shoulda bought the honda fit!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 PM

c300
You certain that sat radio is a software unlock by the dealer? Every MOST bus car I've seen has a separate receiver module that gets plugged in and feeds the head unit. But the car has to be 'sat radio ready' meaning pre-wired with the antennae and a head unit that can take the input.

I added a sirius receiver to my wife's Q7 after getting the preview in the C. Bought the receiver, plugged it in. Audi's even nice enough to have an XM receiver as well, if you decided you liked them better ... not that it'll mater much after the first of the year.

I can't imagine that they'd bother leaving out the wiring or have a different part # for the head unit in non-P1 cars. But I haven't bothered opening anything up to see where the receiver lives either.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I'm going to go with the dealer on this one and say that you need a Satellite receiver to get Sirius...it is more than just a dealer unlock.

If MB installed it in all cars there would be no need to include it in P1 as well...
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by MBTex
I'm going to go with the dealer on this one and say that you need a Satellite receiver to get Sirius...it is more than just a dealer unlock.

If MB installed it in all cars there would be no need to include it in P1 as well...
Thats just my thinking, I haven't checked with anyone in the service department, but I'm going by my ML. My ML doesn't have nav, but its the exact same radio unit and will handle nav if I have them put in the dvd drive and unlock the nav controls through the software, they may need to add a chip or something to the radio itself, but its the same radio. The same goes with the C, the radio is the same weither you have stock, p1, or nav, only thing that changes is your display screen at the top. I find it hard to believe that for one, MB would use three different radios, which would cost them a fortune, or that its not already prewired for people wanting to add that feature. As noted, its an add on in Canada for $475 so it is possiable, I'm thinking for that money there is probably an add on they plug into the radio and the antenna. (You would be amazed what they can lock/unlock with their computers, one example listed on this forum already was to unlock the passenger side mirror tilt down when shifting into reverse in the ML, someone had that unlocked and its not standard on U.S. spec cars.)

Heres something, for those that don't have sirius, click on the button that would normally bring it up. If it says says no sirius radio, then its programed to do it already, if it does nothing then theres probably more to it.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 11-19-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I see what you are saying and you are right that it is the same radio, but I believe the "satellite receiver" is an extra part for it (be it a chip or something else). Therefore it is not something you would see. I really don't see the point in MB including it in P1 if it is going to be a part of all cars produced.

If it were simply a matter of a dealer unlock, wouldn't dealers be unlocking them as part of a special perk or incentive to get people to buy the car. "Well, I understand you don't want to pay for P1, how about you buy the car without P1 and we'll get you the Sirius radio option only for $300 rather than paying 1400 for P1...."

I do like your suggestion though, need someone to test it. Although I don't think too many people have bought this car without at least P1 included, especially not those on this forum.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM

c300
I'm willing to bet it's just like my wife's Q7 and my old e90. Radio's already set up for the input, it's just missing the receiver box.

Where ever the nav drive goes, there's probably a slot with the antenna wires and an optical wire. Just buy the receiver, plug it in and then subscribe to the service.

My wife's Q7 was a 20min install only because space was so tight and the instructions called for a ton of interior panel removal. My e90 would've been a 30 sec install.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
jberqs, suck it up and get P1. Sirius is a factory only install. If you beg them they might be able to order one with option code 536 only... but that is if MBUSA is willing to accept that order.

XM has better music anyway.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:49 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by jberqs
Is there ne way to get aftermarket sirius without the p-1 package?

You can add Sirius. Its not just a reprogramming thing though: You have to get the sirius module and antenna and install them. The sirius tuner module normally mounts on the trunk floor all the way forward under the carpet and under a plastic cover.

Also C class vehicles normally are not prewired so the optical cables and power wires and connectors wont be there either. You will need to get them as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
A little research uncovered that as of right now the U.S. spec cars not ordered with P1 or P2 cannot have Sirius installed as an option by the dealers. The parts aren't even in the computer system, but if your in Canada it is available for $475 as an option. This most likely means that next year, or maybe in the near future it will be available as an option for U.S. cars, just not right now. It might be possiable to contact a Mercedes Benz dealer in Canada and have them ship the parts to you, or see if your dealer could do something similar. Before long the parts will show up on the after market scene, just give it time.

That being said, after reading all the hate comments about Sirius on this forum, and my brief experience with it, I'm not sure why someone would want it, let alone pay $475 for the parts and $12.95 a month for the programing. To each his own, I'm sure people can come up with lots of reasons for wanting it, I just say plug your ipod in and jam away.

As far as the prewire comment on the post above...all the C classes use the same wireing harness. So everything is already wired, they just need to plug in the different options. It would be way too time consuming for the factory to have to have different harnesses for different options.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 11-22-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
XJ9

C350
As far as the prewire comment on the post above...all the C classes use the same wireing harness. So everything is already wired, they just need to plug in the different options. It would be way too time consuming for the factory to have to have different harnesses for different options.
That is not true... pull up the trunk floor on a base model C class and see for yourself. Mercedes used to prewire for all possible options but fell away from that as a cost-cutting measure. The factory does have different harnesses and they do or do not include specific ones based on the feature package that you order.

This is the whole reason why you cannot just have the dealer retrofit the sirius. The Sirius Tuner module is available and so is the antenna. What isnt there is are the connectors. There are however certain aftermarket shops that have a line on the connectors and can do the install for you. I know because I have seen it with my own eyes.

That being said, after reading all the hate comments about Sirius on this forum, and my brief experience with it, I'm not sure why someone would want it, let alone pay $475 for the parts and $12.95 a month for the programing. To each his own, I'm sure people can come up with lots of reasons for wanting it, I just say plug your ipod in and jam away.
How about they have better overall programming in certain genres like dance and rock and expecially metal. You buy based on what you like to listen to: if you want to listen to Howard Stern then you have to get sirius. iPod is great and I have an iPod full of music but that doesnt help when I want to hear new stuff.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
XJ9

C350
My ML doesn't have nav, but its the exact same radio unit and will handle nav if I have them put in the dvd drive and unlock the nav controls through the software, they may need to add a chip or something to the radio itself, but its the same radio. The same goes with the C, the radio is the same weither you have stock, p1, or nav, only thing that changes is your display screen at the top. .

Again you are only half right. Your ML radio needs two things to get nav working: Unscrew 4 screws and plug in the nav drive. Then you need to install the GPS antenna splitter under the rear seat. No programming however is needed. The same goes for sirius whether you install it on your ML,C,S,E, or any other model: you plug it into the optical ring and it works.

I find it hard to believe that for one, MB would use three different radios, which would cost them a fortune, or that its not already prewired for people wanting to add that feature. .
Hehe, go down to your dealer and talk to the parts guy and you will be surprised to find that they have well more than 3 radio sku's. The previous generation C-Class had 12 if i remember.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Good info there. Yeah I was going off of previous cars, they had all the same wireing harnesses. With all the cost cutting they did with the new C, doesn't surprize me to hear one more lol.

As for the programing thing, yeah if you want to listen to Stern you have to get Sirius, that is until..or should I say if the merger with XM goes through. Keep in mind HD radio is taking off too, it still has comercials (satellite radio does too, they advertise for other stations on their network) but its about the same sound quality and its a free service.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 11-22-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 PM

c300 sport
still confused!!!.....calm down Kar Don...ill come over to Long Beach and loosen the lugs on that new GS of yours
Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
1. The basic radio units are the same across the board. So in theory, all one would need to do is have the Sirius part of the radio unlocked at the service department, add an antenna, and a subscription, should be good to go.

2. If you order P2 you get all the items in P1 as well. Just wanted to throw that out there just in case the poster was confused.

3. I'm all for getting the base model. If your in a warm climate, heated seats aren't a big plus for you, the folding mirrors are more gimmic than useful, if you have to fold your mirrors in to park somewhere, your going to have to Dukes of Hazard your way out cause your damn sure not opening the door. The homelink is nice, but can be added seperately. Problem I have found is that base models are near impossiable to find, you have to order one, so chances are you can get a deal on a P1 car and end up getting it for around the same price as a base model.
I have to disagree about the power folding mirrors being a gimmick. Not sure where you live, but in a lot of places here, especially New York its not that the car won't fit with the mirrors extended, its more like prevention. Having them fold in can save you potentialy big $$$ because the few inches they buy might prevent a truck in NYC from ripping them off. Also in parking lots, people walking between the cars are less likely to hit them while passing through.

As someone who has had a mirror torn off on my last car and seen the same happen to my dad's Cadillac in the city, I think that every Mercedes should have this feature at least optional.

Last edited by pmb600; 11-24-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by pmb600
I have to disagree about the power folding mirrors being a gimmick. Not sure where you live, but in a lot of places here, especially New York its not that the car won't fit with the mirrors extended, its more like prevention. Having them fold in can save you potentialy big $$$ because the few inches they buy might prevent a truck in NYC from ripping them off. Also in parking lots, people walking between the cars are less likely to hit them while passing through.

As someone who has had a mirror torn off on my last car and seen the same happen to my dad's Cadillac in the city, I think that every Mercedes should have this feature at least optional.
Good point, I can see a potental problem there. Never thought of that one living out in the sticks.