C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise

noticed recently that occasionally, when i come to a complete stop, particularly on a slight slope facing up or down, i'm getting this funny "bop" or pop noise from the glove compartment area like something's hitting something ... even took out everything from the glove compartment but noise still happens occasionally.. i'm sure it's minor, but now that i'm aware of it, it's beginning to drive me nuts.. anyone else experience this?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by nikels
noticed recently that occasionally, when i come to a complete stop, particularly on a slight slope facing up or down, i'm getting this funny "bop" or pop noise from the glove compartment area like something's hitting something ... even took out everything from the glove compartment but noise still happens occasionally.. i'm sure it's minor, but now that i'm aware of it, it's beginning to drive me nuts.. anyone else experience this?
dude... i have exact same noise.... very slight, and very light, almost like a snap crackle pop you would hear if you put your ear to a bowl of rice krispies with milk, honestly... drives me crazy too... sounds to be pretty random some times, i almost think it is related to the air conditioning pressure changes inside the dash or something to do with the air flow in their... or it could be a result of excessive play in the dash which results in those settling snap crack noised when you stop...

how consistent is your noise? like time interval-wise...? do you also hear it while driving...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by rb23lb
dude... i have exact same noise.... very slight, and very light, almost like a snap crackle pop you would hear if you put your ear to a bowl of rice krispies with milk, honestly... drives me crazy too... sounds to be pretty random some times, i almost think it is related to the air conditioning pressure changes inside the dash or something to do with the air flow in their... or it could be a result of excessive play in the dash which results in those settling snap crack noised when you stop...

how consistent is your noise? like time interval-wise...? do you also hear it while driving...
well my noise may be louder.. it happens ocassionally whenever i come to a stop.. so as soon as the car stops, a couple of secs later, i hear the rapping noise.. it can also happen when i start to move. i don't hear it when i'm driving along. and i can't guarantee when it will happen, a bit random but it is associated with a complete stop or starting off. it almost sounds like something's shifting around, hits something else hard and makes the rap noise..

i'm sure it's minor, but it's very un-merc like. when i have a chance, i'll dig around that area see if anything is loose
Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
I read some MB literature that one feature of Adaptive Brake is after you brake to a complete stop for a few seconds, the brake will hold the car and you can lift your foot from the brake pedal. To start off you just hit the gas. Not sure if this feature is coming stateside but you may test it out in an empty parking lot.

I read the manual and there is no mention of such so this could be a European only feature, but from what you said that sounds possible. Or it could be the Hill hold feature which is available in US and Canada.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:42 AM

This tap sound should be from the back of the car when you stop. My dealer said that this is from the Adaptive Brake system which includes the hill assist.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by imboom
This tap sound should be from the back of the car when you stop. My dealer said that this is from the Adaptive Brake system which includes the hill assist.
the sound's definitely coming from the dash area glove compartment side, 2nd set of ears sitting in the back seat confirmed this as well. occurrence frequency on average maybe once every 7 or 8 complete stops..

i'll mention this to my dealer/service rep next time i see them.. the car's functioning perfectly and assuming it's not anything serious i guess i can live with the noise.. just turn up the tunes!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Hill start assist

<<I read some MB literature that one feature of Adaptive Brake is after you brake to a complete stop for a few seconds, the brake will hold the car and you can lift your foot from the brake pedal. To start off you just hit the gas. Not sure if this feature is coming stateside but you may test it out in an empty parking lot.>>

This is Hill Start assist, standard equipment on all W203s, and holds the brake for about two seconds on an upslope with the car in gear provided you have had your foot on the brake. It allows just enough time to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator so the car does not roll back. It does not operate on the level or a downslope.

What it SHOULD do is hold the brakes until the gas pedal is depressed, no matter how long.

This feature was available on American cars about 1947.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:29 AM

2008 c300
I have the exact same noise. Whenever I stop at a light or start again I hear what sounds like a heater door closing behind the glove box. I doesn't happen all the time but it can become quite annoying. I removed the cover under the glove box and put my hand in but could not find a thing. I also lifted the passanger side carpet from the engine side but even when I kept tapping I could not find the source of the noise. I was goint to bring it in but I don't really want them to take apart the dash. There is a small motor just below and in front of the glovebox. If you find out from someone else what the noise is I would appreciate being notified. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Almost a Member!

same here, i'm weary about letting the mb techs take apart the dash to try and isolate the noise, it'd probably get worse before it got better.

my very first car was a brand new '90 240sx, loved the car but it had an intermittent problem.. long story short, kept bringing it into the shop every couple of weeks to try and isolate.. got to the point where the technicians were leaving stuff in the engine bay like screwdrivers etc.. drove me nuts.

seeing that we both have the exact same noise problem, i wouldn't be surprised if it starts popping up for other members too.. and if it's big enough of an issue, hopefully MB posts a service bulletin for it.

my last car was '03 W203 and after a couple of months the driver's seat starts creaking noisily.. turned out to be a common problem and eventually MB posts a service bulletin for it..
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM

I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Arrow

MAybe i figure out your problem the noise you hear is an a/c recycle mode there is a door that open and closes to let fresh air come in and out of the car when the button is not pressed or when a/c max is pushed .That it it your a/c door to let fresh air in it should be behind the glove compartment box / So dont worry try it with the a/c off an window closed see it will go away message me let me know all your results.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I also can hear a soft pop pop pop pop pop sound when I start the car inside my garage I haven't be able to pinpoint it, I have 1500 mls I will schedule the 1000/3000 inspection maintenace and I will adress this isue I will let you all know what the service department tells me.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM

2008 c300
I went to the dealer today 1/16/2008 and the noise behind the glove box was coming from the fresh air flap. They removed the glovebox and lubed the position motor gears . The noise has disappeared. The whole job took about an hour.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by kevin1446
I went to the dealer today 1/16/2008 and the noise behind the glove box was coming from the fresh air flap. They removed the glovebox and lubed the position motor gears . The noise has disappeared. The whole job took about an hour.
hmm, sounds like a minor issue.. not sure if i'll go through the trouble of having them take apart the glovebox. i'll probably wait til my first service and ask them more about that.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 AM

2008 c300
Thumbs up Noise behind glovebox

I had to bring my auto back becuse they thought by lubeing the position gears it would stop the noise. They had the car for a few days and the problem is now fixed. The Fresh Air Flap had excessive play and therefore whenever I stopped or started the door would slam shut. They had to remove the center console,radio display unit,I/C and completed dashboard along with the crash bar. They had to replace the housing part# 204-830-25-03 and electric motor part # 221-820-00-42. They did a fantastic job and you would never even know they were in there. The car is now completely quiet and no sign of noise of any type in the dash. They replaced everything perfectly.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by kevin1446
I had to bring my auto back becuse they thought by lubeing the position gears it would stop the noise. They had the car for a few days and the problem is now fixed. The Fresh Air Flap had excessive play and therefore whenever I stopped or started the door would slam shut. They had to remove the center console,radio display unit,I/C and completed dashboard along with the crash bar. They had to replace the housing part# 204-830-25-03 and electric motor part # 221-820-00-42. They did a fantastic job and you would never even know they were in there. The car is now completely quiet and no sign of noise of any type in the dash. They replaced everything perfectly.
good
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I wonder if thay can install the ipod integration kit at a discount while their fixing the noise.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK300, GLK350, owned:C300, CLK 430, ML320 200D, 240D
Thanks Kevin!

I have the same problem with a noise coming out of the glove box/foot well area (sounds like a spring or some little gears not engaging correctly). I have this sound only when I turn the engine off no matter what the setting on the A/C. After the engine is shut off the sound starts for 2-3 secounds.

With your postet part numbers I will go to the dealer and see what they will come up with.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by Derspeed
I wonder if they can install the ipod integration kit at a discount while they're fixing the noise.
Had to fix that.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Had to fix that.
Yeah, I didn't think you were the type. Kinda surprised me at first. Wonder who else caught it...