C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is there a certain way to dry your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
A little comparison.perhaps

<<No you're absolutely right. I've just come to the conclusion that the sealers and waxes are marketing gimmicks. I haven't seen them really protect against anything that the clear coat of paint doesn't already, so instead of trying to fill surface imperfections with expensive polymers for optical reasons just use a polish to flatten them out. Of course you're removing the clear coat, but that's how it goes. I haven't found carnuba waxes to really protect against anything, they just get stripped off in the first couple of rains. Same when I used Zaino.

But maybe it's the part of the country I'm in.>>

Tell ya what. Since we are both in the Seattle area, the local MB Club's car show is at the Nile Country Club on August 10. Why don't you bring your car on out and park it next to mine which is polished, sealed and Zymol'd.

Costs about fifteen bucks which includes lunch. Pre-registration required.

We shall see which car looks better.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you really want to do it well, try a Metro Blower. As opposed to "leaf blowers", etc, the Metro blowers are:

1) Filtered air only. No contaminants can get into the airway.
2) Slightly heated air
3) Very very soft neoprene blower attachments which also will not scratch the finish if they accidently touch the paint.
4) No gasoline/oil fumes which can get into the blower assembly - with a gas powered unit you can't really see it but you're really often blasting fuel vapor all over your clean car.

I use a Metro Air Force Blaster, which I originally got for detailing my motorcycle. I now also use it for me W211.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by wmhjr
If you really want to do it well, try a Metro Blower. As opposed to "leaf blowers", etc, the Metro blowers are:

1) Filtered air only. No contaminants can get into the airway.
2) Slightly heated air
3) Very very soft neoprene blower attachments which also will not scratch the finish if they accidently touch the paint.
4) No gasoline/oil fumes which can get into the blower assembly - with a gas powered unit you can't really see it but you're really often blasting fuel vapor all over your clean car.

I use a Metro Air Force Blaster, which I originally got for detailing my motorcycle. I now also use it for me W211.
Ha...I used to use a small shop vac on the reverse setting for my bike.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Derspeed
Ha...I used to use a small shop vac on the reverse setting for my bike.
I guess I am less OK with risk. Having seen debris from a shop vac take a chunk of paint on a vehicle, there is no way I'll take that chance. I spent way too much time and effort on the bike (and too much money on the car) to blow sand or debris onto my paint at 200-300mph.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I would make a new thread, but so much discussion has gone on here already...

I just washed the car tonight, and while I was drying the car, I remembered this thread. What do you guys think of the following?

1. http://www.amazon.com/Barracuda-7113...ef=pd_sim_hi_2

2. http://www.amazon.com/Weed-Eater-12-...ef=pd_sim_hi_1

Both are leaf blowers. They are electric, so I won't have to worry about any gas fumes getting on my car. Also, I'd never reverse the action on these and use them as a vacuum cleaner, so contaminants getting inside the unit can be minimized, I think. There are cheaper ones, but these have wind velocity of ~200 MPH. That should do the job, I think.

I just need to find a solution to the little problem I have. I enjoy washing the car: the gentle caress, the massaging and all. Well, retarded metaphors aside, I like the washing part (using proper materials--quality car wash soap, around 6 microfiber towels in one wash, 3 buckets of water, etc).

BUT I absolutely cannot stand the drying part. So I end up putting off washes with excuses ("Oh, I gotta go somewhere this weekend, and it'll get dirty anyway, so next week.") I dunno why I hate it so much. I think it's the same reasoning behind why I hate doing dishes after I cook. I love the cooking. Hate doing the dishes.

Thoughts?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by narky

I just washed the car tonight, and while I was drying the car, I remembered this thread. What do you guys think of the following?

I just need to find a solution to the little problem I have. I enjoy washing the car: the gentle caress, the massaging and all. Well, retarded metaphors aside, I like the washing part (using proper materials--quality car wash soap, around 6 microfiber towels in one wash, 3 buckets of water, etc).

BUT I absolutely cannot stand the drying part. So I end up putting off washes with excuses ("Oh, I gotta go somewhere this weekend, and it'll get dirty anyway, so next week.") I dunno why I hate it so much. I think it's the same reasoning behind why I hate doing dishes after I cook. I love the cooking. Hate doing the dishes.

Thoughts?
I'd go with the second one...it looks like it would be a little more gentle. The other one looks like a full out leaf blower. My opinion.
But honestly, do these leaf blowers that people have discussed in this thread really work that well? The damn ones at the car wash always leave spots anyways.

The hose in my garage is connected to warm water that is softened. That means I can let the car air dry without getting a single spot.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drying

Originally Posted by narky

Both are leaf blowers. They are electric, so I won't have to worry about any gas fumes getting on my car. Also, I'd never reverse the action on these and use them as a vacuum cleaner, so contaminants getting inside the unit can be minimized, I think. There are cheaper ones, but these have wind velocity of ~200 MPH. That should do the job, I think.

Thoughts?
First of all, washing the car is a LOT more work than drying it, if you use the right materials.

I have been a compulsive car washer for decades and what I know for sure is that when washing it's inevitable that you will not hit everything with the sponge (or whatever you use) because the wet soapy surface won't show the spots you missed, such as the corners in the wheels and the bottoms of the bumpers and so on. Also, you won't find anyone who takes real care of their cars using a chamois since it takes off the wax.

After I'm through washing, I remove the nozzle and flow the water over the surface so as to leave as few droplets as possible. I then drive the car up the road and back to blow the water out of the crevices and the brakes. I then dry the thing with a large microfiber towel (the one with the pockets on each end for your hands, from Griot's, see their online catalog) leaving the wheels until last. That is when the last of the dirt I missed is picked up by the damp but not wringing wet towel. I have two of them and use them only one time and into the washer they go.

After nine months and perhaps sixty washes, my Barolo red car has no swirls.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Big waffle towel with satin edges. Finish with a nice microfiber towel. They are great at removing streaks andd they don't really leave swirls. I had a black car that I showed and I was always asked if it had a new paint job. Even when it was five years old.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Swirly

Originally Posted by howie
I had totaly forgot about it when I recently purchased my black clk. Took it home washed it up, put it in the sun looked like it had a swirl paint job. Friend of mine has a body shop and he's swirl mark removing today!
Your CLK does/did not have nano-particle clear coat which is resistant to surface damage.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by RLE
First of all, washing the car is a LOT more work than drying it, if you use the right materials.
Yes... I take about 1~2 hours (depending on the mood) just washing the car. No wax or polish, just wash. Every crevice, every nook and cranny. I work through the car in parts, one panel at a time. I wash, rinse, dry, next panel, wash, rinse, dry, etc. Then I do a walk-around, and repeat as necessary. It's not the time... I don't know what it is. I hate the drying. It's an illogical, incomprehensible dislike.

I do use the "flow little bit of water to remove droplets" technique, but

Originally Posted by RLE
I then drive the car up the road and back to blow the water out of the crevices and the brakes.
I gotta try this. Sounds like a fine idea. The only concern is... wouldn't a wet car driving on the road pick up more dirt? Especially near the wheel well area?

Thanks for all the input, folks. I'll try all of your suggestions, and if all else fails, leaf blower, here I come.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Steel Gray 09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Raydens
take your car to Prontowash. Better quality, no waiting, at the same time, save the earth. check locations @ www.prontowash.com. I like mine and always take my benz there. Love the results. Shinier than regular car wash with no water drips everywhere. Great Idea!

With the lack of running water over the car doesn't the solution they wipe the car down with scratch it. Seems like you would be "pushing or dragging" dirt over the car. Looks like a great concept, I have just always be susceptible about "low water, waterless" washing systems.

Please provide some insite, thanks

-Troy
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 AM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
I've tried lots of different techniques, towells, chamois, micro fiber, waffle micro fiber, short drive and leaf blower.

I like the electric leaf blower best. You can really blow the water out of the mirrors, body seams, wheels, etc and avoid any scratching of paint from rubbing anything over it. I wrapped the end of the blower nozzle with felt and duct tape so it won't scratch from accidental contact.

The leaf blower doesn't kick up any dust because the driveway is wet from washing the car.

After the blow dry, I hit the trunk, doors and underhood with a microfiber cloth.

When I tried the short drive technique, I always ended up with dirt/dust on the body behind the wheels that needed to be wiped off.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I've been trying a few different techniques myself this summer on the benz including microfiber-waffle towel, water blade, blower and quick drive around the block.

Regarding the blower, if you throughly rinse down the area (in my case my driveway) during the wash then there should be little dirt to kick up on to the car, plus I try to just be careful with the angle at which I'm holding it.

Regarding the water blade, so far I haven't noticed even a light scratch from it but I very nervous each time I use it. Whether or not I end up using it regularly on the paint or not I'm not sure, but I do know that I will continue to use it on the windows! No water marks and it doesn't get to the towel soaking wet just on the windows so I can use one towel instead of two to do the car.

Regarding driving, what I've been doing it cleaning the wheels and doing the tires first before the rest of the car. Then I drive it around the block to dry the rotors and remove excess water from the wheels/tires. They I wash/dry car and apply my tire shine product.

Happy all!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM

2008 C300 Sport
can't wash your car at home?

If you absolutely have to take your car to a car-wash, take a handful of your own microfiber towels and have the guy who's drying your car use your towels. I even have a spray bottle filled with reverse osmosis water and I make him use that instead of whatever he's got hanging in his pocket.

You'll be "that guy" at the car wash, but it's better than the alternative.

ps. for those of you wondering why you wouldn't be able to wash your car at home: condos, HOAs, gated communities, even city regulations often have provisions against washing your own cars!