C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is P2 worth the money?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by webada
I share some viewpoints of yours, that's why I am so indecisive on this. If I had money to blown, ya, sure. Since I don't and my "needs" is really bigger than my pocket so I am sitting on this dilema....
I guess my thoughts would be to maybe skip it if comes down to the almighty dollar. From everything I hear the stock headlights are second to none in their category, and other other features are nice but, unless you live in a climate where headlight washers are handy they might be more trouble then they're worth since they seem to spray the entire hood as well.

The 60/40 seat would certainly be handy if it's your only transportation, but with the $$ you'll save each month in your payment you can probably afford the occasional delivery fee, or case of beer for your buddy w/ a truck I think at ~5% over 4-5yrs the $1350 will cost you $25-30 a month.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Frankly, I don't understand why MB decide to bundle such weird combination. Perhaps to save cost on their assembly line? oh wait, no, cause every region seems to get different options anyways.....
The whole MB lineup went through this option package craze. The C got hit the hardest because it didn't have enough options to fill the packages. I blame this and the reason the car doesn't have more standard features on the idea that MB wanted to bring in the new car at the same price as the outgoing model. Then they could point out to their customers "look its a new model at the old model price". Although those of us in the know realize that the old model had more standard features and cost less. MB has a habit of changing options packages every year, so if you don't like what you can get this year, wait a year it will change.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
If money were the issue I would point you to some very nice Honda Accords that you can get completely decked out for less than the C.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by MBTex
If money were the issue I would point you to some very nice Honda Accords that you can get completely decked out for less than the C.
or a hyundai with 10 yr /100,000 miles warranty
Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Both comments above are correct, but he has already made up his mind he wants a Benz, he just wants to know if P2 is worth the extra scratch.

By the way, I like Honda's, have owned many in the past, but a Honda and a Benz will never ever in a million years be in the same ballpark. Even if Benz comes out with a class lower than the C, the fit and finish, the solid feeling you get, and the driving feel of a Benz in my opinion will trump a Honda every time. By the way, fully loaded Accord now runs $30k, a base model C starts at $31, less options than the Accord, but its still a Benz.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:17 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Both comments above are correct, but he has already made up his mind he wants a Benz, he just wants to know if P2 is worth the extra scratch.

By the way, I like Honda's, have owned many in the past, but a Honda and a Benz will never ever in a million years be in the same ballpark. Even if Benz comes out with a class lower than the C, the fit and finish, the solid feeling you get, and the driving feel of a Benz in my opinion will trump a Honda every time. By the way, fully loaded Accord now runs $30k, a base model C starts at $31, less options than the Accord, but its still a Benz.
hey, I am the original poster, was just being sarcastic to the honda comment. Your post are exactly my thinking. Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
hey, I am the original poster, was just being sarcastic to the honda comment. Your post are exactly my thinking. Thanks
Ha ha oops, sorry didn't realize you started the thread, I get in a habit of just scrolling down to the bottom to read what the new posts are.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I like it, "but it's still a Benz."
Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by MondayQB
I like it, "but it's still a Benz."
yea, I like it too, almost as good as "why? because we promise you a mercedes benz."
Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by JimPap
Well, they did get most of us to spend $1375 extra instead of $400 extra.

Just to repeat my response, the trunk isn't very large and you pretty much need the extra space for luggage. If you've got kids that will be sitting in the back, then you could always carefully lay your suitcases in the back seat and strap the kids to the roof.
so true, us consumers are always the suckers huh?

Thanks for you input!

do they sell roof rack car seats?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
P2?

<<I am seriously consider the P2 package for the 60/40 rear folding seats. I can see how this can be useful to help carry luggages and occational trips to IKEA....The $1350 extra will also get me the headlight washer, rear sunshades (which I've read could be problematic: unpredicatble noises, broken switch...), directional foglights and bi-xenon headlights.....>>

Seems to me it depends on why you are getting (whoops, almost said buying) the car in the first place. If Mercedes is just your flavor of the month and you are agonizing over your lease payment and money factor and may well be going for the next hot item at lease end, then I say to hell with it.

On the other hand, if you are buying the car with your own money and planning to hang onto it for six or seven years, then equipping it for the long haul is well worth the bucks.

As one who fits the latter description, I know that folding seats will be very useful and I did want B-Xenons again, and I do like, no, love the MM package, I went for both packages.

As far as foregoing useful factory equipment because you want instead function-free cosmetic items (rear spoilers, 19+inch wheels, aftermarket whatever, etc. and the lease company won't depreciate the car because of them) it's your judgement.

BTW, I purchased those 18" wheels after delivery and I can tell you they cost a lot more that $1000 not to mention the tires and after two months plus of tire noise and a harder ride, I am having second thoughts. As should you.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c300 sport
Originally Posted by emps
And you put these on yourself and had issues that you had to modify and take to the dealer correct? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/221042-w204-aftermarket-hid-kit-install-issues.html)
For someone that's not DIY'ing it, add the labor to your $160. And are you voiding your MB warranty by messing with the lighting circuitry? Have you checked with MB on that?
I didn't get any work done by MB. I had to plug in a capacitor to prevent the bulb out error. 20 bucks.

I take out the xenon bulbs, replace the halogen bulbs that i saved, screw the cap back on.

Xenon? What Xenon? Prove to me that I had Xenon's in my car. Warranty INTACT.

Let's not be so naive, people.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would not consider a W204 without the P2 options. I would pay $1350 for the lights alone, considering they may save your, or someone else's life. Any feature that enhances driving (ESP/ASR/ABS when it/they was/were optional, bi-xenon, etc.) is not an "option" for me.

The other luxury features in the package are also quite nice.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by vcruiser
p2 in canada includes bixenon headlights..led tails..pano roof..keyless go..multimedia package...memory seats and rear sunshade!

woo!
^ that's a nice P2
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by vcruiser
p2 in canada includes bixenon headlights..led tails..pano roof..keyless go..multimedia package...memory seats and rear sunshade!

woo!
wtf.. we never got the keyless go, the pano roof, or the memory seats?
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CarGuru
I personally don't think so, as $1300 more would have put me into a different price point, thus a different car (Acura MDX) (BMW 335i) perhaps looking at a base E350 lease etc.. but I was not willing to spend $40K for a C-Class I can justify the car as it is all day long for $36 but not a penny higher. Also it depends if the C is your families only vehicle? My wife and I also have a pickup on hand so when we need to haul something we take that.

-Ryan
Acura MDX $48,000.00 "SUV"
BMW 335i 49,000.0
C300 $36,000.00
Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, need some opinions here....

I am seriously consider the P2 package for the 60/40 rear folding seats. I can see how this can be useful to help carry luggages and occational trips to IKEA....

The $1350 extra will also get me the headlight washer, rear sunshades (which I've read could be problematic: unpredicatble noises, broken switch...), directional foglights and bi-xeon headlights.....

Did anyone else throw in the money for p2? There isn't a stock on the dealer lot on the colors I want with p2, they would have to order.... worth the wait and money?
You are not buying a car every day, get P2 other wise you are going to regret it latter
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by tanktube67
BMW 335i 49,000.0C300 $36,000.00
that's not an exaggeration at all.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 PM

2008 C300 4Matic Sport 2007 Acura MDX
Originally Posted by Lakerz4sho
I didn't get any work done by MB. I had to plug in a capacitor to prevent the bulb out error. 20 bucks.

I take out the xenon bulbs, replace the halogen bulbs that i saved, screw the cap back on.

Xenon? What Xenon? Prove to me that I had Xenon's in my car. Warranty INTACT.

Let's not be so naive, people.
Again, not everyone is going to go and remove the xenons each time they go to the dealer. I had angel eyes on my M3 and a normal BMW dealership would void the warranty if they saw that so I know all about it. You can always find a dealer that your friendly with that will overlook it and flash the ecu which I did. But for most people, adding aftermarket xenons to save a few hundred dollars and possibly voiding your warranty isn't the most effiecient use of their money and time. Not sure about you but $1300 for bi-xenons, rear shade, folding seats isn't that much money when you're talking about a 35K+ car. My time is worth more than saving a few bucks and popping in and out xenon bulbs each time I need to take the car into the dealer. No one is being naive, just balancing our time vs. money.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by AMG BRED
that's not an exaggeration at all.

And have you seen the price tag for a loaded 135i? Over 52k. Not sure what BMW is thinking or direction they're going.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 AM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
p2 over MM, NO WAY!

Okay, I've got my issues with the nav system (not bad, just not great, which means equal to a magellan or etc.) But, in no way can I allow you to get a p2 over an MM. Really. Call it an intervention, call it a wake up call, whatever. But the mm kinda makes the car, in a gadgety/gimmicky, but nice way. Flip up screen, navigation, better sound system, vocie control, command system, etc. Sure, it is not likely worth the money when examine all the parts, but neither is the P2. You're buying a merc, value isn't really part of the equation. That's what jap traps are for (and they're very nice, btw). And, you'll never get an aftermarket stereo in there to fit or sound as nicely.

anyway, I hear you on the split folded seats. I didn't get p2, but otherwise prolly got the car you will: c300sport 4matic, MM, P1, Pano Roof, Ipod. $39,350 plus tax and documents/registration. I don't mind the lack of xenons (sure would like them, but since you're in my neck of the woods, ask yourself if you're gonna drive anywhere dark enough for them to be of great value? Sodium vapor lights non-stop from Boston to D.C., Montauk to the Poconos). Oddly, now that I think about it, corner illuminating fog lamps might actually be a benefit in the city. But anyway, while the P2 package is nice, and I kinda wish I'd got it, other packages offer more bang for the buck. Including the Pano Roof. I'd put my money in the pano rather than p2 if you have passengers, especially in the city, looking up at all the lights. And, it is quite a showpiece. Yeah, I know, but realize when buying a merc you're buying a thing for show, for people to kinda oogle at (even in a c-class), and the Pano is more bang for the buck there.

Now, with all that said, get it all. the invoice of the p2 over p1 is $1200 or thereabouts. yeah, it will put the car over the $40K barrier, but the alternate is a roof rack. and buy the time you get the roof rack and a carry cars, its like $500 or more anyway (assuming merc oem roof rack). Plus, when you go to vermont for skiing, better to put skiis in the car than on roof (but confirm skiis will fit even with p2 pass-thru option). While happy, in retrospect I kinda wish I had done p2 since you can't add it later, although no way I'd pick p2 before MM or Pano.

I bet you can get p2, MM, Pano and Ipod for right around $40,500, but may have to shop NJ. Start with Prestige in Bergen County, then Catena in either Edison or Union.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM

MB 2008 C300 sport, 2008 Rally blue Subaru Impreza 2.5 SI 1995 MB C280 W202
Ok, need some opinions here....

I am seriously consider the P2 package for the 60/40 rear folding seats. I can see how this can be useful to help carry luggages and occational trips to IKEA....

The $1350 extra will also get me the headlight washer, rear sunshades (which I've read could be problematic: unpredicatble noises, broken switch...), directional foglights and bi-xeon headlights.....

Did anyone else throw in the money for p2? There isn't a stock on the dealer lot on the colors I want with p2, they would have to order.... worth the wait and money?

Get it. Our Canadian version come std with P1 and P2 package for sport.
a lot of convenience...you never know when you need it.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:40 PM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by tanktube67
BMW 335i 49,000.0
C300 $36,000.00
When my wife and I went shopping for "Her" car in August we were prepared to spend $36-$45K And don't really cross-shop like vehicles. An MDX with it's advance AWD-SH or whatever it's called, comfort, ergonomics, comfort & utility etc.. was worth $40+ but we decided an SUV is not what we need at this stage of our lives. I also didn't want a $40K smallish sport sedan, but at $36K it's a good value. I could justify a $46K E350 but it's a bit bigger than we wanted. Second best car we liked to the C-Class was the new Volvo S80, it was ultra comfortable, 10X more so than the C-Class. had more interesting and standard features. But the So So engine and dismal economy coupled with undesirable front wheel drive in a $40K+ car bumped it off out list. We figured if we spent $36K wise as we did on an '08 C300 Sport w/P1 ans 18" AMG's we could easily upgrade her to that S550 she told me the otherday she would like to have in two years

-Ryan
Old 12-18-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 430752
I bet you can get p2, MM, Pano and Ipod for right around $40,500, but may have to shop NJ. Start with Prestige in Bergen County, then Catena in either Edison or Union.
That's exactly the config I got add in Teleaid and all weather mats for 40,440 from Prestige a month ago. Car was in stock to boot.