C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Chipped paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
So I bought the touch up paint kit from MB. Looks like nail polish. Tried putting it on and it comes on too thick... then I quickly wiped it off and tried again.. it will come out in globs.. of course I tried everything like painting the side of the bottle first to thin it out. So I removed the paint quickly before it set but now I have these smudges in the paint.. So what will remove this? I bought a bottle of Meguiar's Paint Cleaner (step 1) and Meguiar's swirl remover 2.0. Tried using the swirl remover stuff.. maybe I didn't apply it right.

For those who use Meguiar's , does the paint cleaner solution really need to be used in the 3 part system? Ie the paint cleaner, the polish (step 2), and the wax (step 3). I really don't want to have to wax the whole hood right now. I just want to get those smudges off... oh and this is not a soap and water will clean it ... it's smudges in the touch up paint that I made from painting it and wiping it off It's not noticeable at all only but it's bothered me. I would like to get rid of that before trying to touch up the rock chip in the paint.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by MBfan21
So I bought the touch up paint kit from MB. Looks like nail polish. Tried putting it on and it comes on too thick... then I quickly wiped it off and tried again.. it will come out in globs.. of course I tried everything like painting the side of the bottle first to thin it out. So I removed the paint quickly before it set but now I have these smudges in the paint.. So what will remove this? I bought a bottle of Meguiar's Paint Cleaner (step 1) and Meguiar's swirl remover 2.0. Tried using the swirl remover stuff.. maybe I didn't apply it right.

For those who use Meguiar's , does the paint cleaner solution really need to be used in the 3 part system? Ie the paint cleaner, the polish (step 2), and the wax (step 3). I really don't want to have to wax the whole hood right now. I just want to get those smudges off... oh and this is not a soap and water will clean it ... it's smudges in the touch up paint that I made from painting it and wiping it off It's not noticeable at all only but it's bothered me. I would like to get rid of that before trying to touch up the rock chip in the paint.

OK, I really hate to say it but I'm gonna.... "told you so!"

The paint cleaner you got from Meguiar will not do the job. These are really mild abrasive that will only buff out surface pollutants... maybe with a Portable Cable but that's too much for a smudge...
The 1-2-3 step system is really a polish/wax system, nothing more.

Try this: http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/...gi?ShowItem=28

or this:

http://www.langka.com/the-blob-eliminator-p-31.html

or if you can't wait for shipment, try any auto clay bars... (might be the weakest of the three solution but safest, just remember to lub constantly)

Follow the their instructions, you should do fine. good luck!

Last edited by webada; 12-21-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
Thank you for the advice. Not familiar with autoclay bars but I heard it mentioned here a few times. How do you use these?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM

528i, GLK
Thank you for the advice. Not familiar with autoclay bars but I heard it mentioned here a few times. How do you use these?
This is a pretty good instruction for clay bar use and applies to all auto clay bars.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=19

In your local shops, you might find Meiguars and Mothers with lubs and microfibers towel in a kit, those are good enough.

key thing is lub often, and go over the area several times. For your situation, you might have to apply some pressure to the area, just remember never to rub dry. SPRAY often!!!

If you can't picture this, search for claying, clay bar on youtube.com. Lots of guys showing how to clay videos....

But if you put your hands over the smudges and can't feel any roughness then "solvents" are your only solution, either that or get a buffer (porter cable) with some strong polish...

Last edited by webada; 12-21-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
For applying the touch up paint, don't use the brush that comes with it. It applies too much, which is the blobbing effect. Take a tooth pick and use that to apply the touch up paint.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

07' S65 Flint Grey/Black Interior all options, C350 SFA Edition DD
use the sharpie marker if it's that small. I have the same color on my SFA and I used a sharpie and don't even notice it know. If you took it to a bodyshop, they would paint the whole hood... In a month your mind will have other things to worry about and you will forget about it.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 PM

528i, GLK
+1 that's why www.paintscratch.com is great, works like a pen. I never use those brushes... but I think MB sells their touchup kit in pen style, no?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
Originally Posted by tanktube67
Buy a touch up kit from your MB ($20.00) I got one last week
I paid $32.00 for a bottle of touch-up paint. Apparently Diamond Black is considered a Designo color. That designation definitely makes worth the extra money...
Old 12-22-2007, 01:26 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
[QUOTE=MBfan21;2559572]...I am noticing a chip in the paint on the hood. I take it the dealership will not take responsibility...QUOTE]

I love that you think the dealership should be responsible for a rock chip on your car. It is definitely their fault that the vehicle you were following hurled a rock at your vehicle at a high speed and it chipped your paint. No other manufactuer's paint would chip in the same situation.

Sorry for the rant. People without common sense bug me.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM

528i, GLK
[QUOTE=ffejalink;2563248]
...I am noticing a chip in the paint on the hood. I take it the dealership will not take responsibility...QUOTE]

I love that you think the dealership should be responsible for a rock chip on your car. It is definitely their fault that the vehicle you were following hurled a rock at your vehicle at a high speed and it chipped your paint. No other manufactuer's paint would chip in the same situation.

Sorry for the rant. People without common sense bug me.
where do you think "Caution! Hot!" label on coffee drinks come from??

ppl without common sense suing... bugs me everytime I see that when I order a HOT drink....