C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

live trafic updates....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c300 sport
live trafic updates....

well i have been reading about the mm package and all the features it includes and it appears that it does not get live traffic updates on the us models...now correct me if i am wrong but sirius offers live traffic not sure of the name...but its the same as xm's famerd navtraffic.....know the signal is there so im assuming a traffic tuner woudl have to be installed....but thats it the car shoudl be set up for it.... does anyon eknow where the sirius tuner actuallly is??? i started a vim post too.... i think that what we need on here are some gooo dmb techs to help us out
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM

C300 Sport
i was browsing through the tele-aid page in mbusa website and the premium package through tele-aid mentions traffic alerts / updates. My question is - can these traffic updates be delivered via the nav system??
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 PM

08 c300 sport
yeah im not sure but i didnt chose the teleaid option...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:02 PM

2008 C350 Sport, 2007 ML320 CDI
I remember them trying to sell me an extra package when I activated my Tele-Aid. At the time, I thought it wasn't worth paying for traffic updates, etc. Yesterday, I spent an hour STUCK in our of Denver's infamous, ridiculous phantom traffic jams. I could've avoided the interstate if I'd known - so, the package it looking better.

My problem is having to actually call the T/A people - how lazy it that? I want it to just appear on my navigation screen.

Nothing is perfect, I guess. This car is close, though.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:02 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Kieffer
I remember them trying to sell me an extra package when I activated my Tele-Aid. At the time, I thought it wasn't worth paying for traffic updates, etc. Yesterday, I spent an hour STUCK in our of Denver's infamous, ridiculous phantom traffic jams. I could've avoided the interstate if I'd known - so, the package it looking better.

My problem is having to actually call the T/A people - how lazy it that? I want it to just appear on my navigation screen.

Nothing is perfect, I guess. This car is close, though.
that's why I hate in-car navi, most of the portable ones today will either provide you free live traffic report or a subscription fee of $10 per month or some $ for lifetime....
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
simple question... whoever has teleaid and MM, had you seen the traffic updates like you are supposed to???

would be very interesting for us all to see what it looks like on the nav screen...

who agrees???
Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by rb23lb
simple question... whoever has teleaid and MM, had you seen the traffic updates like you are supposed to???

would be very interesting for us all to see what it looks like on the nav screen...

who agrees???
I can answer your question once I get my hands on this puppy...btw, today is the "build date" on my car!!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 PM

2008 C300 4Matic Sport 2007 Acura MDX

who agrees???
No, traffic updates are not part of the nav. You have to call Teleaid with the 'i' button and its voice delivered. You're better off using google maps on your blackberry for mapped traffic updates. Only reason I took teleaid was the emergency service for the wife and baby, rest of the services are pretty much useless for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:29 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
I have teleaid and no traffic updates. I have the basic package. You know google search and send? Well it doesn't let me access it from google. I can access it from yahoo maps and send it to my car. But when I push the info button, the directions do not come up in the car on the screen like they advertised. I have to wait for the operator to come on and they will send the directions to my car.
Which is stupid because everytime you call teleaid, don't you have to pay for airtime? So why do they do it so you have to call to retrieve your directions? He said there was something wrong with their system so that's why it wasn't going through. But the past few times, I had to call them to get them.
Anyone else have to call to get their computer directions?
Old 12-22-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MBfan21
I have teleaid and no traffic updates. I have the basic package. You know google search and send? Well it doesn't let me access it from google. I can access it from yahoo maps and send it to my car. But when I push the info button, the directions do not come up in the car on the screen like they advertised. I have to wait for the operator to come on and they will send the directions to my car.
Which is stupid because everytime you call teleaid, don't you have to pay for airtime? So why do they do it so you have to call to retrieve your directions? He said there was something wrong with their system so that's why it wasn't going through. But the past few times, I had to call them to get them.
Anyone else have to call to get their computer directions?
Have your dealer talk to them. Mine got fixed this week. Google only allows for business directions to be sent via Search and Send. You can only use Yahoo maps for private addresses.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM

... everytime you call teleaid, don't you have to pay for airtime?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the address-sending from google or yahoo is free. It doesn't require any human involvement other than the driver hitting the info button. Then it dials out and downloads the address(es). I just checked my Amex, and I haven't been charged. I used this feature to put almost all my address book addresses into the MM system.

So I hope I am right - if not, I've got a whopping bill coming!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
Originally Posted by emps
Have your dealer talk to them. Mine got fixed this week. Google only allows for business directions to be sent via Search and Send. You can only use Yahoo maps for private addresses.
My dealer sucks. My salesman never picks up his phone or returns my calls. So I have to get the dealer to call TeleAid to turn on the feature where I can call the directions on up my screen? I don't get this. Why doesn't it automatically do it. Or maybe you are referring to the live traffic updates.. you can now access them?

Which dealer in NJ did you buy your car from if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
Originally Posted by Kieffer
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the address-sending from google or yahoo is free. It doesn't require any human involvement other than the driver hitting the info button. Then it dials out and downloads the address(es). I just checked my Amex, and I haven't been charged. I used this feature to put almost all my address book addresses into the MM system.

So I hope I am right - if not, I've got a whopping bill coming!
No normally it would be free I think but when I push the info button, it automatically calls up teleaid instead of just pulling up my search and send addresses... so I have to speak to the operator. I don't understand that.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
Originally Posted by ni2mi2
i was browsing through the tele-aid page in mbusa website and the premium package through tele-aid mentions traffic alerts / updates. My question is - can these traffic updates be delivered via the nav system??
yes . I am in Amsterdam and i get live traffic updates. light medium or heavy traffic is marked accordinly with different color cars symbols on the MAP. Its free service here.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:09 PM

No normally it would be free I think but when I push the info button, it automatically calls up teleaid instead of just pulling up my search and send addresses... so I have to speak to the operator. I don't understand that.
I wonder if there isn't an e-mail address properly tied to your Tele-Aid account. Something is not right - mine dials out and automatically downloads the address(es).
Old 12-26-2007, 03:28 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
The email address tied to my tele aid is correct as the teleaid operator will be able to pull up my google search and send directions that I had sent via the computer.. and it will be sent to my car from them. But again, each time I push the i button , when I speak to them, I am charged 2.95 a minute.

I tried it again this morning. When I pushed the i button, it sent some old search and send direction to my car. But when you guys push it, does it show up on your screen and then automatically start dialing asking if you want route assistance, road side assistance etc... That's what I don't like. I just want to call the directions up and that's it. I am saying end call and it's not understanding. Then the operator automatically comes on.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM

I tried it again this morning. When I pushed the i button, it sent some old search and send direction to my car. But when you guys push it, does it show up on your screen and then automatically start dialing asking if you want route assistance, road side assistance etc... That's what I don't like. I just want to call the directions up and that's it. I am saying end call and it's not understanding. Then the operator automatically comes on.
Mine just connects out, does not give me any options, and then downloads the address. At that time, the screen gives me the option to accept or reject it. I don't get the typical "do you want roadside assistance, etc." if I have an address waiting for download. That is really strange. I would definitely take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. It's a very handy feature - especially when it's free!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by lx Raven xl
yes . I am in Amsterdam and i get live traffic updates. light medium or heavy traffic is marked accordinly with different color cars symbols on the MAP. Its free service here.
dude... picture???

sounds sweet...
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
dude... picture???

sounds sweet...
Do you want me to take a screen shot of the Navi with live traffic ? I will do so as soon as i see traffic.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:52 PM

My dealer sucks. My salesman never picks up his phone or returns my calls. So I have to get the dealer to call TeleAid to turn on the feature where I can call the directions on up my screen? I don't get this. Why doesn't it automatically do it. Or maybe you are referring to the live traffic updates.. you can now access them?

Which dealer in NJ did you buy your car from if you don't mind me asking?
I got mine at Prestige. My salesguy is top notch, better than my Lexus, Acura, and BMW dealers.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Check out the S class forums. The folks there including myself have had the dealer update the NAV systems themselves in order to get free traffic information. Enjoy.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Check out the S class forums. The folks there including myself have had the dealer update the NAV systems themselves in order to get free traffic information. Enjoy.
Look at this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...93#post2366893
Old 12-27-2007, 08:53 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
Have any C class owners upgraded to this new navigation the people in the S forum were discussing? I wonder if the navigation system is the same for the C and the S class. I certainly do not get live traffic updates on mine.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM

According to an article in the Wall Street Journal online today (Digital Devices Hit the Road: Auto Makers Are Set To Showcase Products At Electronics Show By SHIRA OVIDE, TERRY KOSDROSKY and JEFF BENNETT December 27, 2007), Ford and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. will debut a service called "Travel Link," which uses digital-radio signals to beam real-time information on everything from traffic conditions to area gas stations where drivers can find the lowest pump prices.

If we're lucky, maybe this will trickle "up" to our cars in a few years???

An interesting side note in this article - cars equipped with the Ford / Microsoft Sync system (which has received incredible reviews and makes our iPod integration seem like something from the Flintstone's era), are selling twice as fast as cars not equipped with the system.