C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Plz Help.... Is this NORMAL??? Car Falls down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C280 Avantgarde
Plz Help.... Is this NORMAL??? Car Falls down

Hi Guys,,,

I was just riding with one of my friends in his 2008 C200 Komp.. and I noticed that the car doesnt fall down when left steady on "D" on an inclined surface.

However, in my C280,,, things are different,,, the car remains steady for about 3 seconds after applying the brakes on any inclined surface,, then it falls down and to stop it from falling,,, i have to press the brakes again or push the throttle!!! i dont feel this is normal!!! plz help
Old 12-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
It could depend on the steepness of incline. Perhaps the incline your friend was on wasn't too steep so the engine idle speed was enough to hold the car. This can happen with any car if the incline isn't steep enough to make it roll backwards.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 AM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
kompressor

first, I believe that 3 seconds is "normal" on hill assist. Haven't hit the mercedes technical engineering diagrams or anything, but 3 seconds is what is said to be proper for hill assist. And I gotta say anything past 3 seconds, just sitting there on ahill without brakes, is odd. This is my first automatic in a long time, and only my second overall in my life, so I'm no automatic transmission expert, but I don't think you want to let the "clutch" plate (or whatever) keep slipping in an auto tranny while it balances the competing forces of gravity vs. engine pull.

As for your friend's car, I guessing two things: first the hill he or she was on was not as "steep", as the poster above mentioned. Second, if it was the same hill or etc., then I'm also guessing that the kompressor engine idles at a different rpm. Just a little more idle may provide just enough power to compensate for gravity and result in staying place (again noting the wear and tear on your tranny, if auto's have a similar system to manuals).
Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM

2008 C280 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by 430752
first, I believe that 3 seconds is "normal" on hill assist. Haven't hit the mercedes technical engineering diagrams or anything, but 3 seconds is what is said to be proper for hill assist. And I gotta say anything past 3 seconds, just sitting there on ahill without brakes, is odd. This is my first automatic in a long time, and only my second overall in my life, so I'm no automatic transmission expert, but I don't think you want to let the "clutch" plate (or whatever) keep slipping in an auto tranny while it balances the competing forces of gravity vs. engine pull.

As for your friend's car, I guessing two things: first the hill he or she was on was not as "steep", as the poster above mentioned. Second, if it was the same hill or etc., then I'm also guessing that the kompressor engine idles at a different rpm. Just a little more idle may provide just enough power to compensate for gravity and result in staying place (again noting the wear and tear on your tranny, if auto's have a similar system to manuals).
That makes sense to me! I have also heard that a long press on the brakes might enable the hill assist thing for as long as ur staying. I am gona try it today, however, i highly doubt it.

Last edited by twinspark; 12-26-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by twinspark
That makes sense to me! I have also heard that a long press on the brakes might enable the hill assist thing for as long as ur staying. I am gona try it today, however, i highly doubt it.
I don't think it works that way anymore. I remember reading on the W211 that the E-Class did it as a feature of the SBC system. I think it was called SBC Hold, but since they dropped SBC and it a lot of it's features with the new models, it may not do that anymore, so I wouldn't really try stopping with the car on an incline and not use the brake pedal.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Hey Twinspark,

The automatic transmission has a switch marked c or s that sets the gearbox to comfort or sport. If you put the switch in the C position (look in the instrument cluster) and have the nose of the car going up, you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold still and not roll backwards. If you set the switch in the S position, the car will roll backward, and you will need to apply the service brake to stop. In some places the switch is labeled w and s. In this case the W position holds the car on hills.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 AM

2008 C280 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by Moviela
Hey Twinspark,

The automatic transmission has a switch marked c or s that sets the gearbox to comfort or sport. If you put the switch in the C position (look in the instrument cluster) and have the nose of the car going up, you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold still and not roll backwards. If you set the switch in the S position, the car will roll backward, and you will need to apply the service brake to stop. In some places the switch is labeled w and s. In this case the W position holds the car on hills.
I am afraid it was on "C" mode. And it rolled backwards