C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

obsidian black vs black (?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
obsidian black vs black (?)

Any thoughts on obsidian black? Can't find one in the dealership that has obsidian black, most of the c300 was just flat black.

is it easier to clean than the flat black? does it make much of visual difference?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Which black?

<<Any thoughts on obsidian black? Can't find one in the dealership that has obsidian black, most of the c300 was just flat black. Is it easier to clean than the flat black? Does it make much of visual difference?>>

Black (certainly not flat) and Obsidian look about the same except in sunshine when the metallic in Obsidian shows. No difference in maintaining either one since they are both clear coated, anyway.

My '01 C320 was Obsidian Black, so I know whereof I speak.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by RLE
<<Any thoughts on obsidian black? Can't find one in the dealership that has obsidian black, most of the c300 was just flat black. Is it easier to clean than the flat black? Does it make much of visual difference?>>

Black (certainly not flat) and Obsidian look about the same except in sunshine when the metallic in Obsidian shows. No difference in maintaining either one since they are both clear coated, anyway.

My '01 C320 was Obsidian Black, so I know whereof I speak.
thx, I meant to ask whether the dirt will show just as easy as the regular black or the metallic surface will somehow "hide" the dusts/dirt more... (wishful thinking?) so I see that you went for just regular black on your w204... guess you didn't think it was worth the $750?

also, I told the dealer I wanted obsidian black with gray interior... he looked surprised and then said "that would be a very unique car" not sure if that's his polite way of saying "what da hell are you thinking?"

do most ppl get black on black most of the time??

What do you guys think of black/gray interior? I can't find one on the lot to compare.... (the bmw i drive now has regular black/cashmere interior, I like the combo but its not offered on the sports version)

Last edited by webada; 01-07-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Black

<<I meant to ask whether the dirt will show just as easy as the regular black or the metallic surface will somehow "hide" the dusts/dirt more... (wishful thinking?) so I see that you went for just regular black on your w204... guess you didn't think it was worth the $750?>>

Don't know where you see that since my C300 is Barolo Red with Beige leather. No more black cars for me, thank you. Yes, they are very maintenance intensive keeping them clean and polished.

<<also, I told the dealer I wanted obsidian black with gray interior... he looked surprised and then said "that would be a very unique car">>

That it would. I have seen a black 204 Lux with a beige interior and it was very striking. But, I require a beige interior and my '01 was Obsidian with Java leather which I waited months for.

<<Do most ppl get black on black most of the time??>>

The dealers have ordered a lot of these for stock since they know they are easy to sell to the "gotta-have-it-today" crowd. As my dealer's sales manager said to me, "if you want to order "a color" (meaning anything but black, white or silver) it will be a factory order."

Fine with me since I will be looking at the thing for the next 6-7 years.
Attached Thumbnails obsidian black vs black  (?)-p1010047_1.jpg  

Last edited by RLE; 01-07-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-07-2008, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I have a C300 sport, Obsidian Black with the Grey/Black interior. Had to order mine as well because Obsidian Black sells as soon as it rolls off the truck at my dealership. As for cleaning, I've owned the flat black and now the Obsidian Black and have noticed that it doesn't swirl nearly as easy as the flat did, but it still likes to show swirl marks on all the plastic pieces such as the bumpers and the gas tank cover.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by webada
thx, I meant to ask whether the dirt will show just as easy as the regular black or the metallic surface will somehow "hide" the dusts/dirt more... (wishful thinking?) so I see that you went for just regular black on your w204... guess you didn't think it was worth the $750?
Yes, obsidian black tends to hide swirl marks better due to the silver metalic particles in the paint. I've owned two "flat black" cars in the past, then two "obsidian black" ones, and after switching to "obsidian black", I can honostly say, I will never buy a "flat black" car again. The obsidian black color looks much better: very unique under sunlight, extremely elegant and very reflective in the shade, tends to be more exotic and exclusive than just normal black, and definately easier to sell when you decide to upgrade to a newer car......
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by RLE
Don't know where you see that since my C300 is Barolo Red with Beige leather. No more black cars for me, thank you. Yes, they are very maintenance intensive keeping them clean and polished.

Fine with me since I will be looking at the thing for the next 6-7 years.
lol, sry, saw your icon pix and assumed the car next to your 944 was your new ride. my apology.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:01 AM

528i, GLK
thx for all your inputs, I think i'll put in an order for ob black with black/gray.

!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
thx for all your inputs, I think i'll put in an order for ob black with black/gray.

!
I'm sure you will be happy with your choice, but if you aren't the dealer will have no problems selling it ha ha.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
[QUOTE=webada;2584957]thx, I meant to ask whether the dirt will show just as easy as the regular black or the metallic surface will somehow "hide" the dusts/dirt more... (wishful thinking?) so I see that you went for just regular black on your w204... guess you didn't think it was worth the $750?

also, I told the dealer I wanted obsidian black with gray interior... he looked surprised and then said "that would be a very unique car" not sure if that's his polite way of saying "what da hell are you thinking?"

I have obsidian black with gray interior. I like it a lot. It looks quite nice. I am happy with the obsidian black.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:16 PM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
To get an idea of what Obsidian Black looks like, the door handles of the flat black C300 are Obsidian Black.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I liked the black/grey interior with the aluminum trim. But IMO, in the 350 with it's bird's eye maple, I think it looked a little odd against the gray. Personally I opted for the all black interior on mine.

Glad to hear you decided on the Obsidian. I did as well, it was a tough call paying an extra $710 for such a minor difference, but I think I'll like the metallic. The flat black is really nice though, deeper/darker and more aggressive looking I think.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13 ML350
The sales guy fed me the same story with OB being such a "rare" color and that there are none to be found anywhere...

We have a OB car and as others have posted, yes it does hide swirls a bit better but only marginally so because of the light refraction on the metallic flakes.

The one drawback is that regular back has a lot more depth that the OB does.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by flexdmc
The sales guy fed me the same story with OB being such a "rare" color and that there are none to be found anywhere...

We have a OB car and as others have posted, yes it does hide swirls a bit better but only marginally so because of the light refraction on the metallic flakes.

The one drawback is that regular back has a lot more depth that the OB does.
Rare....no, none to be found anywhere...yes.

All the Obsidian Black cars are spoken for, that means when they pull up their computer and try to find you one thats at another dealer, in transit, or being built, it will show up as sold and unavailable. So he is partially correct when saying that there are none to be found anywhere, but he should add that he can find them, they are just all sold.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Any thoughts on obsidian black? Can't find one in the dealership that has obsidian black, most of the c300 was just flat black.

is it easier to clean than the flat black? does it make much of visual difference?
It will look good
Old 01-11-2008, 12:50 PM

528i, GLK
holy crap, dealer told me they are phasing out obsidian black and switching to Majestic Black. They will have a R-class with that color in the showroom for me to check out, I've heard its a blueish tint....

any opinions on the color?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
holy crap, dealer told me they are phasing out obsidian black and switching to Majestic Black. They will have a R-class with that color in the showroom for me to check out, I've heard its a blueish tint....

any opinions on the color?
I love the Mystic Black and would have went with it were it available on the C class cars. But be aware that from a distance it appears more of a dark purplish /dark blueish color. I'm willing to bet if they do change it won't happen till the 09 model year, so don't let him try to pull a fast one on ya just cause he doesn't want to order you a Obisidian car. Not to mention they sill offer both colors in the R class.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon

Swirls and paint matching are issues to me. If I were to get black, I would not get metal flake incase a panel needs repaired. For example, sometimes body shops have to do an entire side of a car for a door repair just so the metal flake is consistent. Even then, there are no guarantees. I know some painters will disagree, but I'd rather not take the risk. Also, in my opinion, straight black looks awesome when it is clean. As far as cleaning goes, black is a headache. Use micro fiber towels and bonnets to dry, wipe off wax and polish. They are amazing at keeping swirls and streaks to a minimum.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Swirls and paint matching are issues to me. If I were to get black, I would not get metal flake incase a panel needs repaired. For example, sometimes body shops have to do an entire side of a car for a door repair just so the metal flake is consistent. Even then, there are no guarantees. I know some painters will disagree, but I'd rather not take the risk. Also, in my opinion, straight black looks awesome when it is clean. As far as cleaning goes, black is a headache. Use micro fiber towels and bonnets to dry, wipe off wax and polish. They are amazing at keeping swirls and streaks to a minimum.
With this new nano particle paint..no repair will ever look good as new. From my understanding paint shops are not able to replicate the nano particle paint, so theres a good chance your going to be able to tell where the repairs were done after a few years of weathering on any color you chose. My advice...don't do something to your car that would require painting ha ha.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
With this new nano particle paint..no repair will ever look good as new. From my understanding paint shops are not able to replicate the nano particle paint, so theres a good chance your going to be able to tell where the repairs were done after a few years of weathering on any color you chose. My advice...don't do something to your car that would require painting ha ha.
Ha...that's why I am gonna clear-bra the hell out of mine. I guess paint repairs will have to be done by the dealership.