C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone have luck w/ MB Touch/up paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Anyone have luck w/ MB Touch/up paint?

I ordered some touch up from MB about a month after I got the car in August '07. It took some two months to get in as it had to come from the motherland. Long and short we had really high winds almost 90 mph last week in Nor Cal. I told my wife to park the car as far away as possible at work and facing the wind direction. Long and short I'm sure she tried but none the less the right rear door got whacked by some @55-hole at her work. She works for the Fire Dept and everyone else drives a big or old beater truck/ SUV and sort of hate people that drive MB/ BMW/ Lexus etc... At any rate theres no dent but it did chip the paint I would have rather had a dent and no chip as you can remove those but anyway I used the MB touch/up my car is steel gray or tenorite gray and it's not even close, the color is really dark. I recently picked up some T/U paint for my 20 year old Porsche 911, since they don't make marine blue metallic it too had to come from Germany only two-weeks and that paint matches perfectly to my car. Anyone else have issues w/ MB touch/up paint matching?

-Ryan
Old 01-10-2008, 03:09 AM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Better yet why don't modern cars come with any protection on the doors anymore? Seemed like most cars had a protector from the 1980's through 1990's and now car companies leave the door entirely unprotected and exposed. I know door guards are ungainly but MB could have designed or integrated them in like they did on previous models.

-Ryan
Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
I suppose a lot of the car companies nowadays find that the door strip breaks up the beautiful lines of their sculpture. I'm sure it'll be popular again one of these days. Some of the cars have the trim strip as an accessory.

We actually do have the strip, but it's near the bottom of the door and it's absolutely useless for protestion against said a$$#oles.

That reminds me... I should get some touchup paint just in case...
Old 01-10-2008, 10:26 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
I learned a long time ago that the metallic colors need some extra care when using the touchup paint.

To get a good color match, you have to shake the living bejeezus out of the thing before trying to use it.

Bring it inside [room temp], and then shake it for at least 2-4 minutes - no, I'm not kidding. In addition to everything else, this will give your wrists a good workout.

Then, and only then, try a dab using a toothpick dipped in the paint, and more as necessary.

All of our metallic colored Mercedes cars [going back to an '84 190] have had the problem of the touchup paint looking darker than the factory finish unless you spend a LOT of time mixing the paint first. I have had good results once I started shaking and shaking the container first - when you think you're done, shake it some more.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
So your saying the chrome strips at the bottom of the door did nothing to protect you against a door ding? They do stick out further than the door, so the first thing that a door should hit is the chrome strip. Anyways... I'm with the other poster, you have to shake the crap out of them to get them anywhere near the shade of your car. Its worse if its a dark car I've noticed, silver shades don't need to be shook up near as long to look good.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
Originally Posted by jrct9454
I learned a long time ago that the metallic colors need some extra care when using the touchup paint.

To get a good color match, you have to shake the living bejeezus out of the thing before trying to use it.

Bring it inside [room temp], and then shake it for at least 2-4 minutes - no, I'm not kidding. In addition to everything else, this will give your wrists a good workout.

Then, and only then, try a dab using a toothpick dipped in the paint, and more as necessary.

All of our metallic colored Mercedes cars [going back to an '84 190] have had the problem of the touchup paint looking darker than the factory finish unless you spend a LOT of time mixing the paint first. I have had good results once I started shaking and shaking the container first - when you think you're done, shake it some more.

yea i agree as well, shake it like youre trying to kill it and then shake it some more!! i think even on the bottle it says shake it for 3 minutes or something like that. it helps if you have someone else there to help you shake, then you can pass it back and forth. its a lot of effort, but at least the paint will match.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Palladium silver, same took 4wks to get it and even after putting a hair dryer on the bottle and shaking the crap out of it it's still a bit darker than it should be.

I like the pens better anyway, so I just needed something to tide me over.

Body shops in my area usually will do touch ups for you pretty cheap. And they do a much better job than I can. You may want to try them if the the chip on the body panel is really bad.