MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/)
-   -   New Mercedes owner concerns (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/230299-new-mercedes-owner-concerns.html)

theraj2 02-10-2008 11:22 PM

New Mercedes owner concerns

This is my first benz.. Im a lexus man at heart( no offense) but I hear this clicking noise when sitting in the cabin. w/ac off and radio off. Its almost sounds something like a diesel but not so loud. is this normal for a benz?

DucatiGuy 02-10-2008 11:48 PM

I'm sorry but we'll (or at least I will) need more specifics to better diagnosis your problem.

Is it a continuous clicking, or does it come and go?
Do you have any idea where (general area) the noise is emanating from?
How loud is the clicking? Is it very audible or is it faint?
When does the clicking start? Is it there with the key off, at key on, in gear, during driving, or during the operation of a certain accessory (HVAC, radio and so fourth)?

Depending on how new the car is, and chances are it's still relatively new, you may hear "clicking" noises coming from underneath it or the engine compartment at key off or even during idle. The culprit is usually the exhaust system "settling" into place. You have numerous gaskets sealing, and metals expanding and contracting which cause the clicking. The noise will dissipates over time. Other than that, you will get a small amount of valve train noise from the engine at idle. The noise may seem greater at start up, and lesson to a faint clicking, but it's normal. Some people pick up on it more than others. Last but not least, you may have a defective HVAC fan somewhere within the dash console. As highly unlikely as that may be, they're infamous for annoying clicking noises, but obviously the noise will only come when the HVAC system is on, so it's easy to diagnose.

Swing by your local service center and see what they can find. Chances are it's nothing major...

tanktube67 02-10-2008 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by theraj2 (Post 2647316)
This is my first benz.. Im a lexus man at heart( no offense) but I hear this clicking noise when sitting in the cabin. w/ac off and radio off. Its almost sounds something like a diesel but not so loud. is this normal for a benz?

^ there is a pop pop pop noise it suppust to be something with the brakes, there is a thead about it

CarGuru 02-11-2008 12:11 PM

I think I hear what you mean, I noticed it when I first got my car. I traced the sound back to some little devise under the hood on the driver side near windshield washer reservoir. It seems to do something with cold start or idle when warming up because mine goes away after a few minutes and the motor is warm.

-Ryan

PoaMike 02-11-2008 12:56 PM

... Its the car telling you it likes you... Like a kitten purring, Bet you your lexus never did that lmao.

uhear 02-11-2008 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by PoaMike (Post 2648107)
... Its the car telling you it likes you... Like a kitten purring, Bet you your lexus never did that lmao.

funny