C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Mercedes owner concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08C300 White w P2,MM,Pano
New Mercedes owner concerns

This is my first benz.. Im a lexus man at heart( no offense) but I hear this clicking noise when sitting in the cabin. w/ac off and radio off. Its almost sounds something like a diesel but not so loud. is this normal for a benz?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:48 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
I'm sorry but we'll (or at least I will) need more specifics to better diagnosis your problem.

Is it a continuous clicking, or does it come and go?
Do you have any idea where (general area) the noise is emanating from?
How loud is the clicking? Is it very audible or is it faint?
When does the clicking start? Is it there with the key off, at key on, in gear, during driving, or during the operation of a certain accessory (HVAC, radio and so fourth)?

Depending on how new the car is, and chances are it's still relatively new, you may hear "clicking" noises coming from underneath it or the engine compartment at key off or even during idle. The culprit is usually the exhaust system "settling" into place. You have numerous gaskets sealing, and metals expanding and contracting which cause the clicking. The noise will dissipates over time. Other than that, you will get a small amount of valve train noise from the engine at idle. The noise may seem greater at start up, and lesson to a faint clicking, but it's normal. Some people pick up on it more than others. Last but not least, you may have a defective HVAC fan somewhere within the dash console. As highly unlikely as that may be, they're infamous for annoying clicking noises, but obviously the noise will only come when the HVAC system is on, so it's easy to diagnose.

Swing by your local service center and see what they can find. Chances are it's nothing major...
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by theraj2
This is my first benz.. Im a lexus man at heart( no offense) but I hear this clicking noise when sitting in the cabin. w/ac off and radio off. Its almost sounds something like a diesel but not so loud. is this normal for a benz?
^ there is a pop pop pop noise it suppust to be something with the brakes, there is a thead about it
Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
I think I hear what you mean, I noticed it when I first got my car. I traced the sound back to some little devise under the hood on the driver side near windshield washer reservoir. It seems to do something with cold start or idle when warming up because mine goes away after a few minutes and the motor is warm.

-Ryan
Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
... Its the car telling you it likes you... Like a kitten purring, Bet you your lexus never did that lmao.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

2008 C350 & other fine MB products
Originally Posted by PoaMike
... Its the car telling you it likes you... Like a kitten purring, Bet you your lexus never did that lmao.

funny