C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Radar Detector, K40, Valentine or Passport?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 AM
XJ9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Originally Posted by nrgy
I have a Passport 8500 and I just purchased a Valentine One (mainly because of the arrows that I had to try out for myself). Went out for a quick drive tonight just to test it out, and while there weren't any real threats during the drive, I detected the obvious false ones. I have to say I think I will like having the arrows. I used to be in the same camp that would just say slow down if the detector goes off, but the arrows let you determine false threats more accurately. When the V1 went off on my little drive, I was able to see when I passed the source of the signal as the arrows went from foward-side-back. It's just nice to know what is causing your detector to go crazy, and personally if it is a real threat that is hiding really well, I like to be able to pick them out.
Me too, Its super easy to locate the source with the V1 and know when youve passed it which helps me alot in the city where I drive. There are a couple of external sources I pass every day and as soon as I see them I can tell immediately by the arrows if they are the false alerts or an actual cop. Thats why I was really happy that they were able to get the arrows up on the cluster for me.

I had the 8500 for a few weeks and ended up selling it as it seemed to not have the same distance performance as my V1. On the highway I get alerts on the V1 so far in advance that its amazing sometimes. With the 8500 I had a difficult time picking up the signal until I was much closer. In particular it happened when the source was just over a hill or just around a gentle turn. The V1 was overall just better.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 PM

infiniti g35 coupe 6mt
Just had a motorcop (motorcycle cop) convention in my town, There was a laser detector company with samples to try. I got to play with ther sample guns... their rep said the response was almost instant but in my experience with playing with the detectors you have about 2-3 seconds to hit the brakes once the trigger is pulled. By the way I have a Valentine One, love it!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:19 PM

'08 CL600,'09 C63 (sld), '07 550i (sld), '08 VW , '04 X5 4.4 (sld), '02 ML (sld), '01 e46M3 (sld)
Originally Posted by XJ9
I went to check on my car today and found things are going very well...

My new Valentine One Display
Any information on how, where to get this installed? Many thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM

'08 CL600,'09 C63 (sld), '07 550i (sld), '08 VW , '04 X5 4.4 (sld), '02 ML (sld), '01 e46M3 (sld)
Originally Posted by XJ9
I went to check on my car today and found things are going very well...

My new Valentine One Display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xVLsvqCs4

XJ9 - how & where did you get this done - keen to get myself. Were you also able to hide the main unit under the hood or something?

Many thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
OK, a few things about radar detectors.

the V! is the biggest overrated POS I ever used. And how is it that I can talk to V1 owners face to face and they say the same thing? but on the internet it is the best thing since the wheel was invented? You can't ever speed comfortably with a V1, the damn thing goes off at everything, if someone walks out of a gas station 2 states away, the V1 will let you know. You can't drive like that

next the V1 direction... come on, it never picked up a rear threat faster than a K-40 or from a greater distance. I know this because the police station is right down the road and the fools drive everywhere with the radar units on.

next looking at the cluster to tell you what the hell is going on and where? seriously, it is a cool factor like nothing else, but taking your eyes off the road to read the cluster...

the k40 always gets crapped on, especially by radarking because he is just a poser... BTW do a search, his recomendations on the interceptor is a bit flawed, owes me $10k in a bet, and someone here posted the link on this forum about the interceptor scam... always good to be associated with a scam huh?

anyways the K-40 always works, the laser detector and jammer is probably the hottest thing out there, the blue lights can be scene out of the peroheral without even taking your eyes off the road left being front, right being rear, both being laser...

the whole idea of a radar detector is to keep you from getting a ticket and speeding safely, which is what the K40 does, and very well. it is designed to be mounted out of the way, not like the passport POS system

And if the V1 is so great, why don't they offer the theft protection like K40, the 3 year warranty, and the 1 year speeding ticket guarantee?

no one does what the k40 does.

K40 hands down.

And if anyone knows the link of the guy calling the elvis scam please post it... it was pretty comical
Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by jbondox
OK, a few things about radar detectors.

the V! is the biggest overrated POS I ever used. And how is it that I can talk to V1 owners face to face and they say the same thing? but on the internet it is the best thing since the wheel was invented? You can't ever speed comfortably with a V1, the damn thing goes off at everything, if someone walks out of a gas station 2 states away, the V1 will let you know. You can't drive like that

next the V1 direction... come on, it never picked up a rear threat faster than a K-40 or from a greater distance. I know this because the police station is right down the road and the fools drive everywhere with the radar units on.

next looking at the cluster to tell you what the hell is going on and where? seriously, it is a cool factor like nothing else, but taking your eyes off the road to read the cluster...

the k40 always gets crapped on, especially by radarking because he is just a poser... BTW do a search, his recomendations on the interceptor is a bit flawed, owes me $10k in a bet, and someone here posted the link on this forum about the interceptor scam... always good to be associated with a scam huh?

anyways the K-40 always works, the laser detector and jammer is probably the hottest thing out there, the blue lights can be scene out of the peroheral without even taking your eyes off the road left being front, right being rear, both being laser...

the whole idea of a radar detector is to keep you from getting a ticket and speeding safely, which is what the K40 does, and very well. it is designed to be mounted out of the way, not like the passport POS system

And if the V1 is so great, why don't they offer the theft protection like K40, the 3 year warranty, and the 1 year speeding ticket guarantee?

no one does what the k40 does.

K40 hands down.

And if anyone knows the link of the guy calling the elvis scam please post it... it was pretty comical
I dare say your evaluation is pure BS! Go ahead and buy the K40 if that is what you want, but don't bad-mouth the V1

Extremely pleased with V1. Direction arrows are very helpful. (Presently own three V1 units that I also keep current through their upgrade progeam.) Have run them on five different Audis, one Jetta, one Mustang Cobra, and now on the C300. Have not had a ticket in over 20 years.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:59 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver
I dare say your evaluation is pure BS! Go ahead and buy the K40 if that is what you want, but don't bad-mouth the V1

Extremely pleased with V1. Direction arrows are very helpful. (Presently own three V1 units that I also keep current through their upgrade progeam.) Have run them on five different Audis, one Jetta, one Mustang Cobra, and now on the C300. Have not had a ticket in over 20 years.

The "which radar detector is best" argument is likely to go on for as long as we have cars... I have seen all of the discussed radar detectors in action and they all work reasonably well. I was never a big fan of the V1 until I went on a trip with it and saw it in action and saw how well it worked and it does work very well. The new K40 (the caliber) works really well too.

The biggest issue is who the radar detectors appeal to. Most sellers hate the V1 for one main reason: V1 controls their own distribution so there is no markup or profit to be made selling it. A V1 costs $399 and thats it.. There is no deal for buying 2 or 200. The K40 on the other hand is a sellers dream: there is lots of markup to be made on both product and installation. The K40 system really excells in two areas: Its easy to use and the detectors are properly weatherproofed. Alot of S class owners really like the K40 and many have had the K40 on every car they get.. In particular they like the fact that the LED's are a simple warning system: if they blink you hit the brakes. The V1 on the other hand must be weatherproofed: its a pain in the *** to do and when mine was getting done they had to order a special enclosure and seal it up completely. The V1 also does not have any jamming capability which is really needed for proper protection, the K40 does.

So while the K40 costs considerably more, you do get more for your money, including active jamming.. They also have the ticket guarantee which noone else does. I agree with jbondox that the K40 gets alot more crap than it deserves, particularly when it comes to the newest model which is really nice. The V1 however has it beat on price: for 400 bucks you cant beat its performance.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by 2009c63soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xVLsvqCs4

XJ9 - how & where did you get this done - keen to get myself. Were you also able to hide the main unit under the hood or something?

Many thanks
I think they have the contact info with the video. They put the actual V1 in a weatherproof case and mounted it in the front grille under the hood.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Valentine 1 is the only way to go - I've had two passports, sheer garbage. I cannot knock the K40, but no one can say that a V1 is a bad product. It has a quality build and has operated without any glitches for me...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by XJ9
I think they have the contact info with the video. They put the actual V1 in a weatherproof case and mounted it in the front grille under the hood.
Thanks. Got it! much appreciated!
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

'06 M5, 08' C300, 02' WRX
Originally Posted by XJ9
To answer your question, the Valentine One is really still the best detector out there but it has one issue: It has no laser jamming, only passive laser detection. The K40 does not perform as well as the V1 but it has seperate front/rear antennas and Laser jammers and comes as a full kit. with the V1 you have to have someone weatherproof the unit if you want to remote mount it outside the car or settle for having it stuck in the windshield. You also then have to add laser jammers (like the blinder) to properly protect against Lidar.
+1

Great informative post!!

The K40 Calibre utilizes bluetooth connectivity. I have the full kit installed on my other car...

Although, I would love to upgrade to this V1 + Blinder Setup...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver

Like i said, I already owned the V1, The thing goes off at everything. I do have the K-40 also. I have tried everything out there, Passport V1, K-40...; K-40 hands down...
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

beater with a heater
XJ9,

The K-40 isn't really a shops dream. for instance with regular product mark up you are at about $1200 for 2 defusers and the front and rear radar units. then the install, qualified tech $100-$125/hr and 8-10 hour install, from time of check in, preping the vehicle, taping off anything that can get scratched while being installed, fabricating brackets, bumper removal, testing, then delivery to the client and instructing them how it works, and how to maintain it.

Sure i have seen shops just slap the shiet together, glue the receivers on, led pods... come on, that isn't professional, probably the reason why some don't work well and giving the manu a bad name... it isn't like just tossing it in the window and plugging it in.

Last week i seen a K40 receiver sitting on top of a motor in the porsche turbo... that is going to work how? PFM? I seen a porsche cayenne with one mounted under the vehicle front and back ...I mean they just glued it to the bottom of the vehicle so when you look under the vehicle you see the K40 .... word I am looking for is... dangling. So for the shops that don't give a rats **** I am sure it is a profitable piece, but those that actually care, well they make what they are supposed too.

Also it is wireless not BT,something happened with K40 and BT, like they didn't want to pay to use the BT name. however I didn't pick up one while searching for BT devices, when they first came out they did.

Anyways, if i was ever traveling, had a nice vehicle, it would be K40
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM

2008 C-300/ 19' maya MRS black wheels H@R Springs//powerchipped//Brabus Trunk spoiler//HID Fogs//

Valentine Valentine Valentine!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by jbondox
XJ9,

The K-40 isn't really a shops dream. for instance with regular product mark up you are at about $1200 for 2 defusers and the front and rear radar units. then the install, qualified tech $100-$125/hr and 8-10 hour install, from time of check in, preping the vehicle, taping off anything that can get scratched while being installed, fabricating brackets, bumper removal, testing, then delivery to the client and instructing them how it works, and how to maintain it.

Sure i have seen shops just slap the shiet together, glue the receivers on, led pods... come on, that isn't professional, probably the reason why some don't work well and giving the manu a bad name... it isn't like just tossing it in the window and plugging it in.

Last week i seen a K40 receiver sitting on top of a motor in the porsche turbo... that is going to work how? PFM? I seen a porsche cayenne with one mounted under the vehicle front and back ...I mean they just glued it to the bottom of the vehicle so when you look under the vehicle you see the K40 .... word I am looking for is... dangling. So for the shops that don't give a rats **** I am sure it is a profitable piece, but those that actually care, well they make what they are supposed too.

Also it is wireless not BT,something happened with K40 and BT, like they didn't want to pay to use the BT name. however I didn't pick up one while searching for BT devices, when they first came out they did.

Anyways, if i was ever traveling, had a nice vehicle, it would be K40

I agree with you... there are certainly no shortage of shops that do crap work and being in service Ive seen plenty of terrible half-assed installs in the name of money. The fact remains though that with the K40 there is a profit to be made when selling and installing it whereas with the V1 there is not.

Another thing that I noticed that I didnt mention before is that the newer K40 seems to have superior filtering compared to the older models and it even works better than the V1; We have a set route that we drive when we demo the radar installs to customers and the route includes one of those radar activated speed limit signs that tells you your speed... When I drive the route with the V1 I get some low level falsing around two buildings on X and K band with the V1 that I do not get with the Calibre.

When pulling down the street with the speed sign, I noticed that the V1 alerts before the K40 by about 2 blocks (on K band with this sign) so there is a definate difference: The V1 seems to have better sensitivity overall but also falses quite a bit in areas with alot of interference. The K40 is less sensitive but when it alerts you can be reasonably sure that its not a false alarm.

Honestly I think the one big thing that the Calibre could use is a proper display option for those who want it. They should keep the standard LED display as we have plenty of customers that like the simple LED setup but there are alot of people that see the K40 as being "dated" because there is no option for a full information display like the V1 or even the passport. If they offered a nice display option they would hit it out of the park.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM

2010 E350 SP / Honda Crosstour / prior vehicles - C32 modded / C300 modded / Lincoln LS modded
Hard wire radar detector

So, I am reading the posts and no one really tells or shows, what needs to be done to hard wire a radar detector. Has anyone done it ? and if so How
Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
Originally Posted by trial0r
dont wanna hijack but has anyone hardwired a v1 into the w204?
I hard wired my passport and beltronics radar
Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM

2010 E350 SP / Honda Crosstour / prior vehicles - C32 modded / C300 modded / Lincoln LS modded
cool

can you tell me how.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by evanswan
can you tell me how.
Gonna post a thread how to
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
i installed mine to the right of the rear view, ran the wire through the headliner down the a pillar and into the glovebox to the 12v switched cigarette port in there.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM

2008 C350
i installed mine to the right of the rear view, ran the wire through the headliner down the a pillar and into the glovebox to the 12v switched cigarette port in there.
Me too
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by got_thang?
Me too
did you break a clip off your a-pillar too?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 PM
CT3

LC200
I just had a K40 system installed on one of my cars after having it recommended by the dealership. My friend has the valentine system, his works so much better. I spent a small fortune having my set up with the blue LED's in the gauge cluster and stuff.... but his system just works better.... Don't get me wrong the K40 is great, its just not quite as good.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 PM

2008 C350
Nope still there and intact
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Did you use the cables supplied with the V1? How long did the install take? Anything to watch out for, other than the clips in the pillars breaking? Any problems you ran into? Or I might run into? I've never really done anything to any car before, except for painting and such... that's easy.

I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and get a V1. I drive super-paranoid with eyes on full alert at all times, monitoring all mirrors. But a mechanical aid would definitely be helpful.

Can't stand to see wires everywhere inside the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector, K40, Valentine or Passport?