C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Key turns, no starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key turns, no starter

I've had this happen to me quite a few times, I get in the car, insert key, turn it, and nothing, no starter, no sound, no nothing. If I turn the key again I still get nothing, so I have to turn it all the way back to the off position then start and then it works. Has anyone experienced this before?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Once. But it sounds as if this happens to you alot? That could be a problem with the battrey wireing? Something could be lose.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by tmehanna
I've had this happen to me quite a few times, I get in the car, insert key, turn it, and nothing, no starter, no sound, no nothing. If I turn the key again I still get nothing, so I have to turn it all the way back to the off position then start and then it works. Has anyone experienced this before?
Take it to MB, it doesn't sound good
Old 02-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by PoaMike
Once. But it sounds as if this happens to you alot? That could be a problem with the battrey wireing? Something could be lose.
May be because I disconnect my ipod more often?! I don't recall what had happened the previous times the car wouldn't start, but the last time it happened (today) I had disconnected my ipod, and it wasn't a clean disconnect, I had to rock the plug sideways a few times because I was using only one hand. Then I started the car with the ipod still disconnected. Do you recall if you had messed around with your ipod just before that one time ypur car wouldn't start?

I also don't think it's the battery, lights were on when it happened (have them on auto)
Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Start

<<May be because I disconnect my ipod more often?! I don't recall what had happened the previous times the car wouldn't start, but the last time it happened (today) I had disconnected my ipod, and it wasn't a clean disconnect, I had to rock the plug sideways a few times because I was using only one hand. Then I started the car with the ipod still disconnected. Do you recall if you had messed around with your ipod just before that one time ypur car wouldn't start? I also don't think it's the battery, lights were on when it happened (have them on auto)>>

In line with the previous useful suggestions, I think your socks were mismatched. That definitely would do it. Word. (what does that mean?)

When you say it will not start, do you mean it cranks but won't fire? Or turning the key does nothing at all.

Normally, turning the key begins the starting process and it can be released and the starter will continue to turn until the engine starts.

Panic not. Just head in to the dealer and they will put it right. It's unlikely that your car is the first one ever to develop this malady.

Oh, and forget the Ipod idea.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Don't know on the C, but on the ML if you try to start the car after previously turning it off without going all the way to the OFF key position, turning the key to IGNITION won't start it. You have to either take the key out and put it back in, or turn the key all the way to the OFF position and then restart.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Almost a Member!

There's a Call Back from Mercedes to solve that problem!

Try and talk with your local dealers. Several cars, all around the world, are having that problem