C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

To those that didn't get the Multimedia package...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S class
Originally Posted by MCONDE01
I am starting to price out the W204 (C350) and I wanted to ask all of those who did not get the multimedia package what are your thoughts of the stock sound system and standard smaller LCD display. What kind of information does the standard smaller LCD display, and what kind of functions can you perform?

The item I really want from the multimedia package would be the upgraded sound system since I really don't need the navigation (I use telenv on my blackberry that rocks!)...the bigger pop out LCD screen and internal hard drive would be nice too but I really don't need it.

I have the upgraded HK sound system now in my 2005 C230K that I am happy with... and the one thing I don't want to do is have to upgrade my audio system with a aftermarket setup.

It would be great if MB decided in 2009 to seperate the upgraded sound system option from the navigation option...(Plus replacing the current C350 engine with the new 305 HP V6 as well) one could only dream!

I don't know if I can squeeze the extra $3,000 into my budget so I just wanted to get some feedback....

Its the classic problem of trying to serve two market segments: Mercedes has always been know for building no-nonsense reliable cars but in recent years they have been getting their butts kicked in the reviews against comparably segmented cars when it comes to the telematics system. This is especially true now that you can buy a cheapo ford focus and get the amazing sync system. So mercedes spent alot of money to build a really nice multimedia system for the C class and they have succeeded.

The only problem of course is that they also want to be able to price the C at an entry-level pricepoint which means having a lower end option. It looks as though the MM system is marketed to younger professionals that want a car that has the bells and whistles of the S class but without spending close to 100K. The base system gets marketed to people who want a nice reliable inexpensive mercedes, perhaps as a second car or a winter car.

Its all relative... I like gadgets so I ordered my wifes C class with the MM even though she said she really didnt care (of course she'll be thanking me when the dvd keeps the kids quiet). Most of the people here love the MM system, particularly the younger ones who really understand and appreciate things like having a built in hard drive to store music.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Benz084

FWIW, I'm an audiophile....somewhat. I have a sick sound system in my jeep....but have since switched to "better quality" instead of loud.

That said, I opted for the HK on my 05 c230. I loved the sound.
I didn't get the MM on my 08and I'm more than happy.

To be honest, I can't tell much of a difference between the updraded HK in the 05 and the stock stereo in the new one. The biggest difference might be the "surround" effect. The hk had the center speaker in the dash and it sounded slightly better in surround mode, but if you're thinking about the MM because of the updraded sound, its not worth the 3000 IMO.

Great package, just not for everyone.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by st13phil
Personally, I doubt MB will go through a re-design of the dashboard top roll any time soon. They needed to move the sat-nav screen up much higher into the driver's line of sight to meet with expected European regulations and fixing it in position would require either some sort of stuck on binacle which would look pretty crap, or an expensive re-design / re-tooling for the top roll. I don't expect either. It's cheaper and easier to fix the drive mechanism if it develops an unexpectedly high failure rate.
No redesign is needed..they can simply use the stock systems screen...or in worst case scenario they can use the dash from the GLK. I doubt the second example would happen, but come on..its a hole in the dash, it wouldn't take much engineering to make the whole bigger for a bigger in dash screen.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by rdsesq
There are over 100 stations on Sirius. Full channel guide can be found here:
http://www.sirius.com/channelguide

I wonder if the free 6 months is station limited. It is on my gf's new beetle.
That may be. Regardless, of the number of staitions I can't pick which song I want to hear, so it's still pointless for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
No redesign is needed..they can simply use the stock systems screen...or in worst case scenario they can use the dash from the GLK. I doubt the second example would happen, but come on..its a hole in the dash, it wouldn't take much engineering to make the whole bigger for a bigger in dash screen.
Perfect example of this is the infiniti G35, if you opted for the navi, the screen pops up vertically (although I think its spring loaded rather than a motor)

Infiniti did wait for a redesign to phase that out tho.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM

528i, GLK
As for the sound quality of the HK system .....

if you're going to listen to mp3 out of flashcard/ipod/mp3cds then it doesn't matter between the stock and hk system. you won't be able to tell much difference.... pop in a dvd audio or a quality mastered CD, that's when the system can really shine.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by webada
As for the sound quality of the HK system .....

if you're going to listen to mp3 out of flashcard/ipod/mp3cds then it doesn't matter between the stock and hk system. you won't be able to tell much difference.... pop in a dvd audio or a quality mastered CD, that's when the system can really shine.
You make a great point for the MM system playing DVD Audio, you can really tell a difference then....only problem is you can't find DVD Audio discs in the stores anymore, or if you do (Best Buy) its a real crappy selection as not all artists release their albums in the DVD Audio format.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
You make a great point for the MM system playing DVD Audio, you can really tell a difference then....only problem is you can't find DVD Audio discs in the stores anymore, or if you do (Best Buy) its a real crappy selection as not all artists release their albums in the DVD Audio format.
the genre that has the most dvd audio is classical and vocal. the common believe is that if you are listening to pop/rock/rap, you care more about bass/loudness than clarity/definition.

you won't find dvd audio in stores, best place is probably www.acousticsounds.com or even amazon.com. Anyone else of any good sites?

however, a good master quality cd such as Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon is often used in hi-def shop to show off speakers...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I'm revisiting this thread because I hate to admit it..but I was wrong. The hardon/cardon sound system does sound better than the stock system. I finally had a chance to crank up the system in the R class today without people with me and its quite good. As I mentioned above in another post, the stock system and the hardon system sound the same...that is until you can get some volume in it ha ha. I'm still not sold on that flipping screen...but as far as sound quality I have to resend my early comment and say its much better than stock. It is however a bit disappointing that the sound isn't much better at lower levels.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 AM

C200K W204
Sup guys,

After reading all the good comments on the MM package, I am kinda regretting not getting it. Anyways, with that said, I might just opt for the HK system. Do you guys reckon it's available in Malaysia/Singapore?

Also, is it possible to reinstall the MM package on a non-MM car? I've been reading through reviews which say that it is not entirely impossible, but the cost just isn't worth it. Any ideas on that?

Cheers.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by ghostbusters
Sup guys,

After reading all the good comments on the MM package, I am kinda regretting not getting it. Anyways, with that said, I might just opt for the HK system. Do you guys reckon it's available in Malaysia/Singapore?

Also, is it possible to reinstall the MM package on a non-MM car? I've been reading through reviews which say that it is not entirely impossible, but the cost just isn't worth it. Any ideas on that?

Cheers.
For the cost and hassle involved, you may just want to try some good replacement co-ax/tri-ax speakers and see what they do for the sound quality...little more bass, little sharper highs and cleaner midrange could be all you need...