C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Panoramic or normal sunroof?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220CDI
Originally Posted by tanktube67
^+1
Absolutely! I'm torn between 2 tastes! Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 AM

2008 c350
Originally Posted by melbourne tim
Thanks for all your thought. I love the look of the Pano, but heat is a major problem in summer, with temperatures in cars getting to 60 degrees c. (139F). Even with tinting I think with see through roof and without roof insulation, I suspect it will still make a 5-10 degree difference. Most importantly, even my car salesman (and his boss) say some people complain of the heat. After much deliberation, I've decided to stick to standard roof (unless I move to cooler climate!)
i agree with that, and that is why I opted for the regular sunroof and iridium silver. in all honesty if i could have ordered the car without a sunroof at all i would have in a heart beat. the more silver and the less moving parts and potential problems the better. I have the tendency to add sound deadening material to all my cars, and not having a sunroof would be ideal to me because i would be able to add the sound deadening material to the full length of the roof. the sound deadening does not become very apparent until you sit in the car when it's pouring and notice the extreme quietness of the cabin. I must admit though, i still get a bit of the pano roof envy whenever i see one, but i'm still happy with my decision. I plan on keeping my car for quite a few years and don't want to worry about having to replace seals or wind noise from mis aligned parts 5years down the road. Though the pano roof looks uber fancy, it is a very dark surface and will allow a lot of heat soak (no more than a black roof of course). so no matter how you put it, it will increase the interior cabin temp when the car is left parked outdoors on a sunny day. and from what i've researched, for the larger cars (not sure about the w204) it adds about 60lbs to the roof. The roof is the highest point of the car and is a horrible area to add weight. What I wish to see are test results between non pano roofs and pano roof slalom numbers, and by how many more degrees does it tilt the car during hard cornering. I'm guessing this is also why the new m3's sport a carbon fiber roof. I personally don't drive fast on public roads anymore (not anything more than 5mph above speed limit) since i have a track car and can go as fast as my car lets me at the track. But i want to know my c-class will react real well if i ever have to swerve from left to right a few times in a row. i may be over analytical or just plain paranoid, but those are a few of the many things i consider when I make my purchases. I see it as a husband that is trying to protect his family to the best of his abilities.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by MCONDE01
So having the Pano roof reduces the interior head room??

Is it a big difference?? Not that I am tall or anything, but the interior isn't the roomiest as it is...
Yes, it does. My head touched the ceiling with the pano roof, it did not with the regular moonroof. Ended up skipping the pano option when buying a C350 W204, even though I love it on my W203 Coupe.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
looks better, but heavier roof and less head room. your call.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
Pano roof is "COOL", but not very useful. I don't even use the regular sun/moon roof. Plus, it's for the people in the back seat. so doesn't really do anything for me. If you have the money and want every option possible for the car, sure! get it. If not.. don't waste the money.
I actually prefer regular sunroof. Because I plan on getting the roof spoiler and paint it the color of the car. I don't think black roof spoiler will stand out since the section of the rear windshield where the roof spoiler goes on is already black.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350, Obsidian Black, P2, MM, Pano, AMG Wheels, i-Pod and Leather
I have a black C350 with pano, live in an area where 100 degree summer days are not unusual and have not experienced any interior cabin heat issues. I also don't understand some of the other comments, like it looks odd when open. When was the last time you were driving your car watching the sunroof from the outside? It will affect performance. You're driving a freakin entry level MB, not a Porsche. I doubt most, if any, people could feel the difference, if there even is one. Having said all this, it's all a matter of personal taste, which I can respect. If you don't like the way it looks... fine, it's your money. But these other reasons are nonsensical.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 9elf S
I have a black C350 with pano, live in an area where 100 degree summer days are not unusual and have not experienced any interior cabin heat issues. I also don't understand some of the other comments, like it looks odd when open. When was the last time you were driving your car watching the sunroof from the outside? It will affect performance. You're driving a freakin entry level MB, not a Porsche. I doubt most, if any, people could feel the difference, if there even is one. Having said all this, it's all a matter of personal taste, which I can respect. If you don't like the way it looks... fine, it's your money. But these other reasons are nonsensical.
Heat is an issue in my C230k Coupe, but a minor one on very sunny and hot days; given the much better AC in W204s, I expect little grief from heat in that car. The issue of head room, however, is real -- it is noted in many car mag reviews, and has been experienced first-hand by yours truly.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by oblu
Pano FTW ... I realize I'm shallow, but the pano roof was 90% of why I bought the car. Otherwise I would've gone for a much cheaper lease on a much faster car (335i).
+1

No interior heat issues. Northern California gets quite a bit of sun all year round as well.

I never open it, not even the roll-up shade, so my pano always looks nice and flat. Passengers always enjoy it, perhaps more than I do.

I think it's a GREAT option. One of the biggest reasons I went for this car.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
I had pano on my W203 coupe. Living in New Orleans (very hot summers), I never noticed any heat problems... all cars got hot if parked in the sun. I never noticed any sunlight coming through the roll away shade either. It was my favortie feature on that car. I would absolutely get that over the regular sunroof.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 AM

E63
IMO Not much difference

Now is the first time I have had a Pano and it really just seems like a normal sunroof to me. Yeah its cool if you are in the back seat because you can see both of them but in the front seat, eh just like a normal sunroof.

The shade works fine and blocks the sun nicely, if not as stated just tint it. The only thing that I found not so appealing is that in order to "tilt" the sunroof, the screens will fully retract. Previously in a C55 the manual shade had vents along the rear edge so that the shade could be pulled forward and the sunroof tilted open at the same time.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
hmc

2009 C300 Sport 6MT
I wish I have the option to not include sunroof at all. This would give me more head room.

I never use sunroof. If I want open air, I drive my Miata.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
A good chunk of the compliments I get about the car stems from the pano roof. I personally enjoy it and I know my passengers enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
I rarely ever have anyone in the back seats so the Pano wouldve gone to waste sooo with that being said the Normal sunroof is fine for me and its also wide open like 90% of the time even during the summer .....yes i do still keep the A/C on though
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM

2008 C-Class W204 Palladium Silver, Keyless Go, Cognac-Brown Interior
Just a word of caution for those wanting pano in equatorial countries like Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. The interior will be hotter than usual as the pano cover is translucent meaning some lights will penetrate the cover. You can obviously tint it but there will always be some heat invloved. Furthermore, I dont like the cloth mb uses, looks too cheap. BUT if i were say in States or Europe i would probably choose Pano why? It looks good!

Last edited by naifali; 08-13-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM

2008 C-300/ 19' maya MRS black wheels H@R Springs//powerchipped//Brabus Trunk spoiler//HID Fogs//

Bro without a doubt go with the pano roof, it makes the car look so much better and people who dont know cars go nuts when they sit inside a car with pano....Think about it people paint the top of their car to have a "pano-look" so it makes sense to actually get the pano, i love it on mine i got black mayas and a dark tint and a black brill with the black pano roof...STUNTIN
Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by tanktube67
you could tint the pano sunroof, I have regular sunroof and I tinted the sunroof with 5% film. Thats my opinion
I did the same on my last car. But it did have the cover, I never used it.
I love the ambient lighting that you get with the glass roof. Im going with the Pano roof all the way. Plus I like the look of a black roof on the white car.

Last edited by 451/443=EW; 08-13-2008 at 04:51 PM.