C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

leather vs mbtext

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
My spoiled butt

<<The worst part of bringing my car in for service is that the C loaners they use have MB tex. It feels nothing like leather. The only similarity is the appearance.>>

So, you are *****ing about the free service loaners. We all have to make sacrifices, I guess.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Which?

<<Its one thing to prefer leather over the MBtex, and every side has arguments, pros and cons.. but i really don't like your comparisons an analogies, first you said mbtex and leather is like the difference between
"leather coat and windbreaker" then your saying its like a real rolex and a fake rolex. Very ignorant statement from a Mercedes owner, are you forgetting that Mbtex IS OFFERED BY MB? it is STILL of high quality and is still engineered by Mercedes to provide you with comfort, durability, etc.. let's not forget that.
it's ok to prefer one over the other, but to start saying it's like owning a windbreaker or a fake rolex is something i strongly disagree with>>

I wonder, when you get right down to it, if it's the $1550? And all rest is justification.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
Originally Posted by RLE
<<i disagree, real leather and the mbtext is almost the same
in my opinion the "fake" stuff is more durable, less prone to stretching and is easier to clean, it doesnt feel as "stiff" especially in the cold months.

but hey thats my opinion>>

mbtext? is that an MB book of some sort?

It is MB TEX. That's what they have called their plastic seat material for decades.
thanks for the note, I probably made some spelling and grammar mistakes, please forgive me... .

Last edited by angeloxnet; 03-09-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i give up, leather is awesome!
ok guys?

the end
Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enough already

<<i give up, leather is awesome!
ok guys?

the end>>

I agree. This one has run it's course.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I know this post is quickly gettin old, especially considering the mountain of posts on this topic, but I gotta say my proverbial 2 cents' worth.

When I was ordering my car, I knew before I even thought of the idea that I would get it with leather. I mean, I was already spending so much money on a car; the cost wasn't too outrageous in terms of ratio. The extra stitching alone is worth the money; it's one of those details that only the enthusiasts will recognize and appreciate. Elite. Plus, as someone's said, "It's a Mercedes." Whatever that means. And I really couldn't care less about what others might say, leather or MB Tex. It's my car. But even if nobody knew the difference, I would know. And the new leather smell!

Unfortunately, when I was ordering my car last year, I had a choice: an MB Tex in February, or a leather in April. I chose MB Tex, because 6MT M-Bs aren't so easy to come by...

Now I try to think about all the advantages of MB Tex (see above). And it is quite satisfactory. On my 5th day of ownership, my lady spilled some thick, black, hot tea all over the passenger seat. Then I had to stand there for 10 minutes while she ran back inside to get some towels. By the time she came back, I was half-dead panting. But within 30 seconds, tea was gone, no stain, no smell, still brand new! It was f'ing awesome. Leather can't hang.

But forever a part of me will wonder what it would be like..........
Old 03-09-2008, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

amen to that
Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 mercedes 300c sport
thanks for all of your opinions. I am still torn between the decision. I have to make up my mind tomorrow since I that is when I am giving them my down payment. the choices are artice white with black leather or iridium silver with black mbtex. I have to keep my price at a certain level and I know that it is not much of a difference but the wife has given me a price and payment cut off. thanks again guys
Old 03-09-2008, 11:01 AM

MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
Amen to everyone! lol This has to be the 1,576,234,091st thread to discuss this...and we are left with the final results:

It sounds like everyone who bought MB Tex, loves their MB Tex.
And eveyone who bought their Leather, loves their Leather.

Group hug Now OP, you should have enough info to make a decision on your own. Who cares what other think as long as you are happy with your decision.

Congrats on ordering your MB!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Group hug Now OP, you should have enough info to make a decision on your own. Who cares what other think as long as you are happy with your decision.
^+1
Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by angeloxnet
Umm have to disagree with YOUR comparison if I said
cloth vrs leather, then maybe

but if u do some research you will find them very similar:

"
MBTEX, sometimes called "Taxi Leather" is a vinyl-like Leather-looking synthetic material that has been commonly used in Mercedes-Benz Vehicles for many years now. MBTEX is a a sort of rubbery-feeling material that has a grained look similar to leather but usually more uniform than leather. To the unknowing passenger (and sometimes owners) MBTEX is actually what you are sitting on, and not actually real leather.

In many newer Mercedes-Benz models "MBTEX with Leather inserts" is the standard equipment. Full leather interior is often an option and not included without an additional cost. Many Mercedes-Benz owners have probably bought their car not realizing that the seats are not full leather.

MBTEX can be very difficult to tell from Leather, as without really close inspection there is not a real "obvious" difference. Most cars that are sold with "MBTEX with Leather inserts" have the center parts of the seats (the parts you sit on and your back rests against) as real leather, and the seat bolsters, sides, headrests, armrests and seat backs as MBTEX. You can often tell the parts of your seats that are real leather as they are usually perforated (the perforation is necessary in order to allow the leather to "breath"). This real leather is often the panels where your bottom sits and where your back rests against the seat. There is also often sections of real leather on the door panels. Everything else is usually MBTEX, unless you got the full leather option of course.

Many dealers and people who are familiar with MBTEX will actually recommend it over Leather. It is commonly joked that you can tell if a 10 year old car has leather or MBTEX. The car with MBTEX interior will still look new while the car with leather will look worn. MBTEX is much more durable than leather, easier to clean and requires less attention. MBTEX is also a good idea to have on the seat bolsters as this is an area that is commonly worked well by drivers and passengers entering and exiting the vehicle. Leather bolsters will eventually crease and these creases over time develop into cracks. MBTEX does not have this crease problem.

MBTEX will outlast leather many times over and most individuals can not tell its difference from leather. MBTEX is an excellent choice for anyone who has children, or plans on owning their Mercedes-Benz for a long time."
I think you got it backwards, if the trim is a combination of MBTex and Leather, you're sitting on leather, not MBTex. Then the seat back and bolsters are the MBTex. It's also the MBTex that's perforated, not the real leather.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Even though everyone wants to declare this thread dead, I just had to add my $.02. My previous car, a 2003 C240, had the leather inserts. The present car, a 2008 E350, has mbtex. I didn't have a choice with either car since I didn't order them. I took what was available in the color combination that I wanted. What I have noticed is that the mbtex acts more like fabric in that you don't slide over it as easily getting in and out of the car. Your clothing seems to "stick" to it. For this reason, I prefer leather. However, the leather did seem to pucker more and lost its "tightness" over time on the seats in the C240.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by itcrashed
It sounds like everyone who bought MB Tex, loves their MB Tex.
And eveyone who bought their Leather, loves their Leather.
Group hug
Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The special order leather in my '05 C320 sports coupe looks like new, with 120K miles and normal care.

My preference is fabric, but MBUSA has erected an embargo to protect us from that selection.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM

2008 c350
Originally Posted by narky
I know this post is quickly gettin old, especially considering the mountain of posts on this topic, but I gotta say my proverbial 2 cents' worth.

When I was ordering my car, I knew before I even thought of the idea that I would get it with leather. I mean, I was already spending so much money on a car; the cost wasn't too outrageous in terms of ratio. The extra stitching alone is worth the money; it's one of those details that only the enthusiasts will recognize and appreciate. Elite. Plus, as someone's said, "It's a Mercedes." Whatever that means. And I really couldn't care less about what others might say, leather or MB Tex. It's my car. But even if nobody knew the difference, I would know. And the new leather smell!
i agree. i too wanted the leather option because of the extra stitching and details in the door panel and center armrest and steering wheel. my wife simply said "the mb tex makes it feel like a cheaper car." in a perfect world i would be able to spec it like a porsche i would have got red stitching, leather door panels and trims, and mbtex seats with inserts. but it would most likely drive the cost up far beyond what the option cost. I have been customizing cars for over 10 years and details mean the world to me. not to sound snobby but the mbtex equiped c-class makes me think of the e36 and e46 3-series. they drive fantastically, but lack refinement in the interior. it's the same reason why i picked the 350 over the 300. there are many details that come with the package that most people overlook. despite the extra displacement, the 350 has larger front rotors, rear spoiler, black birdseye maple along with a few other things.

i associated the cost of the package with how much it would have cost me to retrofit it all myself in the future. IMO the price of the leather package is a huge bargain.

Last edited by mingo; 03-12-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
i have the 2 tone MBtex and I am very happy with it. It has the same texture as leather without all the hassle (easy to care for and long lasting). I am adding the leather floor mats (to give that great leather smell). I also want to re-upholster the a,b,c pillars, the sun visors and the bottom section of the doors to get rid of theat "speaker grill cloth"
Old 03-20-2008, 04:05 PM

'08 C300 Sport, 7SpAuto, P1, MM, 18s, ipod kit.
Talking

I prefer fabric seats with the thick plastic covering.... like the type seniors put on their couches to protect them from getting ruined.

MB did not give me that option... LOL

https://mbworld.org/forums/images/sm...smashfreak.gif
Old 03-21-2008, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by acr2001
I just want to point out for the sake of accurate information to people who read this in the future:

This statement is wrong. The perforated area where you sit is leather. The non perforated areas are MB Tex. The leather is perforated because it is sprayed with a special clear coat to try and protect it. The perforations are needed so that it can breathe under that coating.
This is not true, the original statement was correct. On the W204, perforated seats are MB-Tex, Leather is not perforated.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
[QUOTE=mingo;2704340]there are many details that come with the package that most people overlook. despite the extra displacement, the 350 has larger front rotors, rear spoiler, black birdseye maple along with a few other things.
QUOTE]

Some of us customize for driving and not for cosmetic reasons. I've been doing it since 1992. Larger front rotors and spoiler easily retro-fitted, birdseye maple I don't like wood trim . I chose the C300 over the 350 for one main reason...6spd, manual transmission.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c300 sport
just make sure you don't go over your text limit for the month... those things are like 25 cents a pop.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
This is not true, the original statement was correct. On the W204, perforated seats are MB-Tex, Leather is not perforated.
Seriously? They changed it around so that the perforations are fake and are there only for looks?

This REALLY has me scratching my head... why would they do it backwardss?
I'll delete my post since now I'm unsure.

Are you sure it isn't that when you order mb-tex they don't just give you perforated leather inserts? That's how it is on the W203 - if you order the leather package then I don't think it comes perforated because its exposed leather, where as with the mb-tex they spray the real leather areas so that they require less maintenance - which makes perforations necessary.

Anyone wanna follow up on this?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by acr2001
Seriously? They changed it around so that the perforations are fake and are there only for looks?

This REALLY has me scratching my head... why would they do it backwardss?
I'll delete my post since now I'm unsure.

Are you sure it isn't that when you order mb-tex they don't just give you perforated leather inserts? That's how it is on the W203 - if you order the leather package then I don't think it comes perforated because its exposed leather, where as with the mb-tex they spray the real leather areas so that they require less maintenance - which makes perforations necessary.

Anyone wanna follow up on this?
MB tex was always perforated as far as I can remember, if not, you would stick to it like you would to the plastic a 90 year-old lady's couch (since, if course, MB-Tex is plastic). In the last years of the W203 (in the US) and now in the W204, there were/are no more leather inserts, just tex or leather. Leather of late stopped having perforations except where there was seat ventilation, but I will not say that with 100% certainty.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
MB tex was always perforated as far as I can remember, if not, you would stick to it like you would to the plastic a 90 year-old lady's couch (since, if course, MB-Tex is plastic). In the last years of the W203 (in the US) and now in the W204, there were/are no more leather inserts, just tex or leather. Leather of late stopped having perforations except where there was seat ventilation, but I will not say that with 100% certainty.
The leather on most of the other models are perforated, even on my ML.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by Lakerz4sho
just make sure you don't go over your text limit for the month... those things are like 25 cents a pop.
Was this for me? If it was, you surely missed my point.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Almost a Member!

C350, ML350
show

hahah popcorn anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: leather vs mbtext