C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone switched from and E to a C?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350
Originally Posted by puzzled
When you say the G35 is no MB, I am curious about what you find lacking more precisely.
what i mean by that is the level of prestige. even though the base model is cheaper it imo still holds more prestige than the G35. the G35 interior is superb, very technologically advanced and everything is intuitively designed. the c class on the other hand has a more conservative classical looking design. squarish buttons and sharper edges. i hope i didn't mislead you about my comment about the g35 being no mB. the G35 is a great car, but the brand image of a mercedes is a price many of us pay for (and are willing to pay for over and over again).
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by mingo
what i mean by that is the level of prestige. even though the base model is cheaper it imo still holds more prestige than the G35. the G35 interior is superb, very technologically advanced and everything is intuitively designed. the c class on the other hand has a more conservative classical looking design. squarish buttons and sharper edges. i hope i didn't mislead you about my comment about the g35 being no mB. the G35 is a great car, but the brand image of a mercedes is a price many of us pay for (and are willing to pay for over and over again).
Got it mingo, thanks. In my opinion, no other car has the prestige of a MB, except perhaps Porsche. But I think I would prefer to drive a G35x over the C. But the C looks much better on the outside.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I don't yet have a W204 due to the lack of seat memory but my 06 C350 is the best all around car I have ever owned. It is a car that makes me smile every time I take it out. I would not trade it for any E Class.
I do have experience with E Class models including 96,97,98,99 and 00 W210's. I gave up on them and tried a CLK 320 and CLK 430. I then had a 2001 and 2002 C320. I liked them a lot but thought the new W211 E Class cars looked like they might be a better choice. So, I went ahead and bought a 2004 E320 followed by a 2005 E320 CDI and then a 2006 E350. They were nice cars but I didn't like the steering and they had SBC brakes which were very annoying. I only had my 06 E350 for several months when I took a test drive in a C350 and it was love at first drive.
I do miss the elegant feeling of the W211's and the cooled seats that were in one of them. At the same time, I much prefer driving my C350
over any of the E Class cars whether they were the V6 or V8 models.
Drive both models and decide which one you feel more comfortable driving. Don't buy an E or an S Class just for prestige.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
...In 1996 I bought an Acura RL. It was a boring car but very reliable..... So I thought I'd get something new before my extended warranty runs out in September -- for emotional reasons as well as economic.
So does that mean unreliable cars are exciting? For who, you or your wallet?

My Supras go to the track and come right home w/o any problems. My Maxima is a work horse. Nissan probably makes the best V6 engine ever. (And that's Automobile magazine talking). I bought my E500 last November, and if she gives me problems, I'll dump her w/o any hesitation whatsoever. I have no idea what its like to own unreliable, bec. I"ve owned Japanese all my life. I would never put up with an unreliable car. I'm not concerned with prestige.

Reading your posts, I think the best route for you is an Infiniti or Lexus.
If u insist on MB, please please please test drive a CPO E500 before choosing a C350.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 AM

Benz
My dad owns the 07 E350 and he likes it a lot, but ever since i bought my C300 4matic hes drives that every chance he gets. Don't get me wrong the E350 is really nice, but as one of the members mentioned before it does have that old feeling when you're inside. Maybe because its a little more refined, but you can definately feel that it is heavier when you switch from C to E, and the memory seat option is really nice, but im the only one who really drives my car so i dont really have a problem with that. Overall IMO the C looks better and is more fun to drive.

-hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM

MB 2008 C300 sport, 2008 Rally blue Subaru Impreza 2.5 SI 1995 MB C280 W202
Got it mingo, thanks. In my opinion, no other car has the prestige of a MB, except perhaps Porsche. But I think I would prefer to drive a G35x over the C. But the C looks much better on the outside.
whatever you do...don't get lexus GS...big wide turning circle and ride very soft.
I leased on back in 2001. When on highway...anything over 120 Km/h (about 75MPH)..the car feel soft and lose handling...very boat like feeling...which unlike BMW...or Audi...more secure feeling.
As for C300 that I got right now...for some reason I still feel not quite a well feeling... the steering feel too light. I still like my C280 W202 back in 1995 with re-circulating ball steering instead of rack and pinion. The old C280 feel more secure at high highway speed than the current C300 I got. That how i feel.

On the track....I drove up to 100mph (160 km/h) and seem like C280 give me a better handling but anything less than 160 km/h... the C300 seem to be acceptable but not great compared with BMW 328 which I test drove it on the same track. BMW more refined but lack the interior design of C.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by sou98
whatever you do...don't get lexus GS...big wide turning circle and ride very soft.
+1 I had the opportunity to drive the GS both 350 and 450 on a obstacle course at lexus event. Both understeer heavily and felt aloft. The 450 did feel a bit tigher and more in control feel. so if you really want the GS, I would recommend forking that extra 5-6G (i think with the equal options on both, that's the difference between the two, could be outdated)

350 is not a fun car to drive at all.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:52 PM

2015 C3004W
Originally Posted by gnma
So does that mean unreliable cars are exciting? For who, you or your wallet?
gnma: You make an excellent point. It may well be that reliable can seem boring.

I also care a lot about safety. I have found a web site called Informed for Life very helpful and persuasive on the topic of safety. The 08 C doesn't fare too well. The E fares pretty well. The best rated car is the 08 Acura RL. Reliable, safe and comfortable. It will never have the prestige of a MB. It has a wide turning circle and certainly isn't in my opinion the best in its class but for the money I am tempted.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Just like myself, everyone is giving their personal viewpoint. Those comparing an E350 with a C350, well duh, same engine in lighter car, which one will have more "driver fun". I emphasize comparing a E500 with a C350, and with 340lbs tq @ 2,700 rpm, u'll never drive a V6 again. BUT, that's MY view. To me THAT is what a car is about 90%. (Not to mention the superior size, luxury, and did I mention 340lbs tq @ 2,700rpm?).

And as I mentioned earlier, our Supras put down 400+whp, and are driven daily. Now that's exciting AND reliable! But power, racing may not be on top of your list.

U wrote:

<<The best rated car is the 08 Acura RL. Reliable, safe and comfortable. It will never have the prestige of a MB. It has a wide turning circle and certainly isn't in my opinion the best in its class but for the money I am tempted.>>

If u care about turning circle, then u should def. care about power, bec. power is used more often than having a tight turning circle.

The chairman of a successful bank drives an Acura RL. Take one guess what he drove before?

To me, money stays in your wallet, use that to take the lady out, or invest it, or buy something nice for yourself. Don't give it to automotive repairs.
Does that make more financial and emotional sense over "I drive a MB"?? Who cares?? What's the point of prestige if your personal exp. with the car has been crap? Are we so vain?

Would hate to lose u as a MB fellow owner, but like I said before, if my E500 gives me problems, I'll trash her w/o any hesitation. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM

c300
If it's under warranty, repairs don't take any money out of your wallet. Just time out of your schedule.