C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ticket for no front lic. plate: keep paying or install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Plates

<<"why do we need front plates?">>

Here in Washington, it's state law. Having said that, I chose to keep the plate, curved to fit on it's mounting with a Lexan cover, frame and all, in the trunk ready to install. And after five months and 4100 miles, no cop has batted an eye at me. Should that occur, and an equipment violation ticket be issued, I would deal with it.

But an everyday MB sedan is one thing. Suppose you had a new Ferrari, MB-SLR or Carrera GT on which a front plate is like a wart on it's nose. That WOULD be something to agonize over.

BTW, not one of the varying opinions on this had the slightest effect on my decision.

'08 C300 Luxury/Barolo Red/Beige leather/MM/P2/Bridgestones on 18s.
Attached Thumbnails Ticket for no front lic. plate: keep paying or install?-p1010044_1.jpg  

Last edited by RLE; 04-05-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by jo17jC230
Just leave it off and pay the fine or have it signed off and take it off again. These things don't add up... they are just fix it tickets and easy money for the city.
The above is pretty much the answer I have been searching for the whole time. Thanks.

And yes, you have to pay to look good. Why do people buy luxury cars? Because Porsches and Veyrons are paragons of reliability? Or because you really have the time and the means (***** of steel at 200+ MPH? 140 scared me poo-less, couldn't even hold the speed for long) to use the 1000 HPs to their fullest extent? Where? Luxury cars are about the image that driving one portrays, and that image happens to cost more. Some people think the price is worth it, and others don't.

I used to mercilessly bag on Benzes all the time. I believed that better track performance was the only reason why I should pay more money for a car. Then I see one single picture online, and soon I'm forking over my savings.

I'd love to discuss in greater detail the all the other various issues that people have brought up, but for me, it's "case closed". I'm not trying to be self-righteous or arrogant, really, but I don't give a shat what other people think I should do with my car. I think this car (or any car, for that matter -- it's not M-B's fault) looks like garbage with a front plate on, and I'm willing to pay the price if money is the only thing this infraction will cost me. I do, however, see the point that in the case of a hit-and-run, as well as that of any accident, having a front plate on a car would serve a purpose.

Conclusion:

I think I'm going to order a gominigo bracket, set it up ready-to-go, and leave it in the trunk until someone makes me put it on.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by narky
The above is pretty much the answer I have been searching for the whole time. Thanks.

And yes, you have to pay to look good. Why do people buy luxury cars? Because Porsches and Veyrons are paragons of reliability? Or because you really have the time and the means (***** of steel at 200+ MPH? 140 scared me poo-less, couldn't even hold the speed for long) to use the 1000 HPs to their fullest extent? Where? Luxury cars are about the image that driving one portrays, and that image happens to cost more. Some people think the price is worth it, and others don't.

I used to mercilessly bag on Benzes all the time. I believed that better track performance was the only reason why I should pay more money for a car. Then I see one single picture online, and soon I'm forking over my savings.

I'd love to discuss in greater detail the all the other various issues that people have brought up, but for me, it's "case closed". I'm not trying to be self-righteous or arrogant, really, but I don't give a shat what other people think I should do with my car. I think this car (or any car, for that matter -- it's not M-B's fault) looks like garbage with a front plate on, and I'm willing to pay the price if money is the only thing this infraction will cost me. I do, however, see the point that in the case of a hit-and-run, as well as that of any accident, having a front plate on a car would serve a purpose.

Conclusion:

I think I'm going to order a gominigo bracket, set it up ready-to-go, and leave it in the trunk until someone makes me put it on.

Leave that plate off and enjoy the ride
Old 04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
My last car before my C350 was a G35. It really just didn't look right with the front plate. I never put one on. I got burned for it. Not once...not twice...but three times! On the C, however, I really dont think that adding the front plate takes away from the car in the least bit.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230K '10 GLK350 '13 SMART
keep paying
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203
keep paying
you're in california, and from your sig pic, I can see that your w204 has no fronts. as long as we keep paying, we're good, right? thanks.