C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Taking my first long trip with my C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by blastit
ok guy question about breaking in the car. i have read numerous posts about this on here some people say 1000 miles before the car is broken in some people say it doesnt matter.

Whats the deal? when i get my car (hopefully today) am i expected to drive at varied speeds at various rpm's in c mode? what happens to the car if you drive it in s mode before the 1000 miles? i dont think that i have ever really broken in the cars i have owned in the past. most of the driving that i do is commuter driving. i travel about 30 km to work and 30km to the house in rush hour. so i dont see how i can properly break this car in considering that i am stuck in bumper to bumper. any advice???
Well, it's probably just a good idea to follow the suggestion, to be on the safe side. I mean, is it really that hard to follow the manual's suggestion for 1000 miles? It recommends driving in C mode and to vary the speed somewhat. For example, 2 hours straight at 65 MPH cruise control might not be the greatest idea. Furthermore, redlining it perhaps isn't something you should do at first.

Back to the trip - this is how bad I am. While I don't worry about the engine of the car, I'm going on a trip this summer, but I'm going to rent an accord or something because I get worried about dings and whatnot in hotel and attraction parking lots. ha-ha. At those places you can't park way far away cause so many people are there you're lucky to find a spot.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by DannyM383
a little off topic but does anyone know when dealers are going to switch from the old C as loaner car to the new c?
when the old one's die and they have a couple of new"ish" C300's that they can't sell
Old 04-15-2008, 05:54 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by mac911
Well, it's probably just a good idea to follow the suggestion, to be on the safe side. I mean, is it really that hard to follow the manual's suggestion for 1000 miles? It recommends driving in C mode and to vary the speed somewhat. For example, 2 hours straight at 65 MPH cruise control might not be the greatest idea. Furthermore, redlining it perhaps isn't something you should do at first.

Back to the trip - this is how bad I am. While I don't worry about the engine of the car, I'm going on a trip this summer, but I'm going to rent an accord or something because I get worried about dings and whatnot in hotel and attraction parking lots. ha-ha. At those places you can't park way far away cause so many people are there you're lucky to find a spot.
to answer your question...no its not hard to follow the manual. what i was saying is in my situation if you are stuck in bumper to bumper for an hour to and from the office, it is nearly impossible to get any type of speed what so ever. the fastest you may be able to travel on my commute is 40mph but with all the stop and go of the traffic lights i dont see how you would be able to get various rpm rates. there will be some consistency from 0-3500 rpm between lights and gears, but thats it.

my question had more to do with an A-B test of 2 vehicles that had been broken in differently. What would be the outcome?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 PM

I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
miami represent!!

Originally Posted by KmanianC
Sup man? I drove my C350 from MIA to Tampa and back with 800 miles on it. It was all good!

Finally someone from Miami on this board, yeah, im taking a trip soon to orlando, I just wanted to here from the forum.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 PM

2008 Mercedes C350 Sport
Originally Posted by franka2000
Finally someone from Miami on this board, yeah, im taking a trip soon to orlando, I just wanted to here from the forum.
That's what I'm saying! We shud do a C drive or sumthing sumtime!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blastit
to answer your question...no its not hard to follow the manual. what i was saying is in my situation if you are stuck in bumper to bumper for an hour to and from the office, it is nearly impossible to get any type of speed what so ever. the fastest you may be able to travel on my commute is 40mph but with all the stop and go of the traffic lights i dont see how you would be able to get various rpm rates. there will be some consistency from 0-3500 rpm between lights and gears, but thats it.

my question had more to do with an A-B test of 2 vehicles that had been broken in differently. What would be the outcome?
I don't think your situation will cause any trouble, just my opinion!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Regarding the break-in, my understanding is that with modern new cars, one is not necessary. Even so, I did follow a scheduled increase in RPMs with increasing mileage and all that good ol' break-in stuff for the first 940 miles. I just kept it simple, and tried not to drive it like a fool. That's all you have to do, I think. It's a baby! Treat it with care. Until it grows up. You can start beating it then.

One argument against holding the same RPM for a long time when the engine is young (before a proper break-in) is that the engine could develop a "groove" at the RPM you were at. While the engine is breaking-in, you may unintentionally train it to respond well only at certain RPMs. You'll end up with pockets in your powerband where you will feel a lack of power and responsiveness when you try to accelerate. In other places, you'll see sudden surges of power. Kinda like a vTEC. Maybe that's a good thing?

Although I did study some engineering in college, it wasn't mechanical engineering, so excuse me if all that up there's If someone else knows better than I, please do correct me. I'd like to know, because I've done this to two new cars now, and will do it to many more (hopefully) in the future.

Last edited by narky; 04-16-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by franka2000
In early may i'm taking my first long trip with my 2008 c350, we are going to disney world, it's about 220 miles from my house.

tell me what you think, i have about 2300 miles in my car, is my car ready for a 3 hour non-stop drive.
May I pre-welcome you to Orlando. We usually leave here for every vacation chance that we get. Have you been here before?

Just took the E350 on a 12 hour trip to and from western North Carolina a couple of weeks ago. Only had 2400 miles on it when we left. Now it has 4200 miles.

Hope you have a good time.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM

I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
thnks!!

I usually rent cars when i go, but i want to try something new, like driving my own.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GGM
May I pre-welcome you to Orlando. We usually leave here for every vacation chance that we get. Have you been here before?

Just took the E350 on a 12 hour trip to and from western North Carolina a couple of weeks ago. Only had 2400 miles on it when we left. Now it has 4200 miles.

Hope you have a good time.
Yeah, if you live there, it would make sense you get out, for vacation. ha-ha.

However, as an outsider, I like going there myself. There are a lot of interesting things to do.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220CDI
Many years ago I used to break in the cars carefully. On one occasion, to adhere to the instructions of avoiding constant speed when I took it interstate, I would drive at 100 (km/h) but change gears from 4th to 5th constantly!!!!

Then over the years I couldn't give a s**t about breaking in anymore, I just wanted to drive. I don't think it made a difference to me... maybe to the poor soulds who bought my cars after 50000km. But if you break you car in gently, then sell it after 50000km, don't expect the buyer to believe you and pay more because it may last longer.

My advice, franka2000, drive if anyway you like, then give it to your wifey and don't worry about it anymore because you're getting the C63!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 AM

great idea!!

Originally Posted by melbourne tim
Many years ago I used to break in the cars carefully. On one occasion, to adhere to the instructions of avoiding constant speed when I took it interstate, I would drive at 100 (km/h) but change gears from 4th to 5th constantly!!!!

Then over the years I couldn't give a s**t about breaking in anymore, I just wanted to drive. I don't think it made a difference to me... maybe to the poor soulds who bought my cars after 50000km. But if you break you car in gently, then sell it after 50000km, don't expect the buyer to believe you and pay more because it may last longer.

My advice, franka2000, drive if anyway you like, then give it to your wifey and don't worry about it anymore because you're getting the C63!
That sounds real good, i lost too much hair over this as it is.

Last edited by franka2000; 04-19-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220CDI
The real question is.... are you going to gently break in your C63, or give it a good workout (which is what it yearns for!)???