C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My Ideal W204

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
My Ideal W204

After reading what I would like some may think buy another car but the body style and Mercedes solidity is what made me buy this car. I just prefer the below.

1) Yes this is a "luxury" sports car and the other brands in this category don't vary either (in the US) but I would love to save the weight and money with manual seats. I've never seen the need for power seats in my case and this car carrying "sports" in half it's name should allow the weight savings.

2) Heated seats would be great as an option also. Again saving cost for some people that don't use heated seats. I understand a certain amount of people expect certain features in an upscale car and that's what makes the car upscale but I am curious how many people actually use heated seats and would miss them if not standard.

3) The Harmon Kardon stereo minus the navigation that comes along with it. My car came loaded and I ran out of patience to wait for a specially ordered car but at the same time the base stereo looks are not that great anyways. I would like to save weight and money by getting a nicer "looking" base radio and not needing the navigation with it.

4) Add the 09 SLK 300hp motor.

5) Don't need the rear folding seats with the P2 package. This adds cost and weight again yet some of us buy the P2 package for the other options that are more useful.

With the above we could save a few thousand dollars and drop about 100lbs. This gives us a 13 second car most likely, plenty of luxury still and a more fun car to drive IMO.

The above could be done individually with some time and thought but like all my past modified cars a person is better off saving the money and time from the factory if possible. The gains are not worth the investment after-market.

Last edited by racetested; 05-15-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C-300/ 19' maya MRS black wheels H@R Springs//powerchipped//Brabus Trunk spoiler//HID Fogs//

agreed
Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

C230 W204 2008 Canadian model (Sports package, White/Black, 7Gtronic, Sat radio)
Agree. but your 100Lbs weight saving estimate sounds high.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by racetested
2) Heated seats would be great as an option also. Again saving cost for some people that don't use heated seats. I understand a certain amount of people expect certain features in an upscale car and that's what makes the car upscale but I am curious how many people actually use heated seats and would miss them if not standard.
Same for airbags... how many people actually use it? That should be an option to save weight.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I would definitly miss the seat heaters (had them in my last three cars) my butt gets cold in the winter without them.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:32 PM

08 MB
Originally Posted by mromar
Agree. but your 100Lbs weight saving estimate sounds high.
Could be but I know on my last car the back seats folded down as well and the backrest part alone of the seat(heaviest part) with hardware was around 40lbs.

The front power seats I am going on secondhand info of how heavy OEM power seats can be. Ideally I would like a Recaro type of seat that provides high quality, comfort, OEM look, yet lightweight. I don't think 25lbs weight savings per seat is too far off.

Now I mention these changes as this is a DD(minus winter) with me having a 70 mile round trip commute. The C63 would cure the performance needs but at a considerable price increase and much more fuel consumption. I just think a C350 with a little extra hp, shave some lbs and drop a few grand would be highly welcomed by most drivers.

P.S. Get rid of the Command knob as well. I gave up using it after a week. More of a pain and distraction than being user friendly.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350, Obsidian Black, P2, MM, Pano, AMG Wheels, i-Pod and Leather
You've got to be kidding me. I'm all for saving weight and think that's the direction cars should be heading, instead of adding horsepower to increase performance. You can achieve so many more benefits with saving weight, as compared to increasing horsepower, in terms of overall performance - i.e., speed, handling, fuel economy, etc. But the W204 is a porker. Shaving 100lbs or so off of it is like ordering a diet soda at McDonalds.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
SAVING

<<Same for airbags... how many people actually use it? That should be an option to save weight. >>

Excellent suggestion. Removing all the glass except the windshield would make a BIG difference, also. Drilling holes (more weight saving) in the floor to let the rainwater out might be needed, though.

Oh, wait here's another one. Remove all those heavy seats and substitute some lightweight on-sale aluminum deck chairs from Home Depot.

It's just never ending.
Attached Thumbnails My Ideal W204-c300-944.jpg  

Last edited by RLE; 05-15-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by 9elf S
You've got to be kidding me. I'm all for saving weight and think that's the direction cars should be heading, instead of adding horsepower to increase performance. You can achieve so many more benefits with saving weight, as compared to increasing horsepower, in terms of overall performance - i.e., speed, handling, fuel economy, etc. But the W204 is a porker. Shaving 100lbs or so off of it is like ordering a diet soda at McDonalds.

Kidding about what exactly?

I see you took one small fragment of my post and made it into something bigger than it was meant to be. If me or some us don't need the extra weight and cost of un-needed accessories and it's not compromising the integrity of the car why not save on both!

My comments are me just thinking out loud yet with realistic thoughts and with some of the agreeing replies I don't seem to be so far out there.

The other comments of getting rid of airbags, glass, etc just aren't even funny. Get a joke book or something and work on your material.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
I agree with the OP's points about how it would have been nice to be able to pick and choose individual options. I was also quite miffed when MBUSA tried (successfully) to shove stupid "packages" down my throat. I ended up not getting certain packages on principle (yes, I know I'm stupid and irrational), and I'm not quite as happy as I could be with the car after the fact. Of course, the practice is one way for MB to make a little more money from us, and since we the US consumers are getting a hell of a deal when compared to those in the rest of the world, I can't complain too much. At the same time, my typical, typical American arrogance wonders why the f I should care about how much the rest of the world pays for the same cars, when all I care about is my own bottom line.

I do appreciate, as always, RLE's sarcasm. They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but it just happens to be my favorite and most utilized one. It's like a natural reflex. My lady hates that about me. And I think his "material" is plenty good, unlike the OP. However, with regards to weight-saving efforts, I gotta disagree with RLE; I think every little bit counts. If I can save 5 pounds here and there, I'd do it. That's why I keep nothing but the essentials in my trunk, and never let fat people ride in my car. I just paid $4.45 per gallon yesterday, and I refuse to let the lack of self-control (stop eating!) by others affect my financial well-being, however in a negligible way.

In any case, the OP seeks performance, not affordability, if I'm not mistaken. So wouldn't it be more effective to spend some loot and DRASTICALLY reduce unsprung weight instead of worrying about the memory seats? That's what I plan on doing, because I think certain options are worth their weight for their convenience. With none of them, this car would not be a "Mercedes". But of course, to each his own, as I always say... I too never use the heated seats (I'm strictly a winter animal), and was pretty pissed that I was forced to get it as part of P1, but it is also my lady's favorite option in the car. And that's all right with me.

I gotta stop writing before this becomes another freakishly long manifesto that I tend to write for every post (occupational disease), but why doesn't MB offer COOLED (chilled?) seats? If they offer heated, they should offer cooled. Lexus does! WTFFFFFFFF. I was, am still, and will be pissed about this. Yesterday it hit 105 degrees fahrenheit here, and I kept staring at the useless, worthless heated seats button.

Last edited by narky; 05-16-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM

C220CDI
Originally Posted by racetested
After reading what I would like some may think buy another car but the body style and Mercedes solidity is what made me buy this car. I just prefer the below.

1) Yes this is a "luxury" sports car and the other brands in this category don't vary either (in the US) but I would love to save the weight and money with manual seats. I've never seen the need for power seats in my case and this car carrying "sports" in half it's name should allow the weight savings.

3) The Harmon Kardon stereo minus the navigation that comes along with it. My car came loaded and I ran out of patience to wait for a specially ordered car but at the same time the base stereo looks are not that great anyways. I would like to save weight and money by getting a nicer "looking" base radio and not needing the navigation with it.

4) Add the 09 SLK 300hp motor.

5) Don't need the rear folding seats with the P2 package. This adds cost and weight again yet some of us buy the P2 package for the other options that are more useful.

With the above we could save a few thousand dollars and drop about 100lbs. This gives us a 13 second car most likely, plenty of luxury still and a more fun car to drive IMO.

The above could be done individually with some time and thought but like all my past modified cars a person is better off saving the money and time from the factory if possible. The gains are not worth the investment after-market.
Great thoughts!

However I'm addicted to the gadgets and my days of driving fast have long gone. So I'm getting a 220 diesel with most of the luxury gadgets, and save fuel and CO2 emission by reducing acceleration/deceleration!

I agree with 9elf S that the W204 is a porker, weighing more than the equivalent BMW 5 series, even though all the magazines report on their weight saving items. I wish they put more aluminium parts to save weight.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Save 100lbs?

Just don't fill the gas tank over 16 litres. The 50 missed = 110lbs. No problem
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Remove all those features and save 100 lbs? Are you kidding me?
These cars weigh plenty as it is.

If you drove 2 identical C300s one with 100 lbs less weight you would NOT be able to tell which is which!

I'm all for weight savings, but this just doesn't make sense.
And as far as having the different packages which include features you might not want, they do this because of the overall cost savings to the company by not having to make so many different combinations of options (I know I sound like I work for MB... but these savings make the car cheaper for you!)

Navigation probably ads like 3 - 5 lbs!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by acr2001
Remove all those features and save 100 lbs? Are you kidding me?
These cars weigh plenty as it is.

If you drove 2 identical C300s one with 100 lbs less weight you would NOT be able to tell which is which!

I'm all for weight savings, but this just doesn't make sense.
And as far as having the different packages which include features you might not want, they do this because of the overall cost savings to the company by not having to make so many different combinations of options (I know I sound like I work for MB... but these savings make the car cheaper for you!)

Navigation probably ads like 3 - 5 lbs!
Exactly (about the weight savings).

And you're right on the money about the packages too. Still sucks though.

Last edited by narky; 05-17-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You must remember if there were only 1000 kg cars on the road they would pass the safety standards. It is only the fact that poorly handling 2 ton 4 wheel drive vehicles driven by testosterone overloaded ego maniacs are prone to roll over in front of them. Ha Ha ha !! The writing is on the wall for these heavier cars. In Australia Mitsubishi stopped manufacturing & 6 cyl 1800kg GM & Fords are next. Darwins Natural Selection in the auto sense with a shortage & high cost of fuels.. India & China's fuel use is increasing 3% a year.We are not finding enough new oil fields to find balance.Try visiting the website www.hubbertpeak.com