C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help needed with alignment issues after accident

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
because what your describing is so minimal you most likely won't be able to "see" anything wrong when looking at the tie rods, control arms (or their bushings) cv joints, etc. it would be a matter of replacing everything. I completely feel you. new car = perfection...except nothing less since its what your paying for. just a bit of future warning. Mercedes dealerships are for lack of a better term, worthless. most of the people on this forum know little to nothing, (not everyone) about their cars and are concerned with why their door pins stick out too far rather than significant problems such as the one your dealing with. you picked the wrong car if you aren't very knowlegdable under the hood. the MB tech's will feed you bs all day long. i bought mine knowing that i would void the warranty 20 mins after leaving the dealership and had no intention of ever going back, not even for the free service a or b. i'd rather put a torque wrench in my dogs mouth and let him have a go. fyi, the ONLY MB dealership that is owned by MB is the one in Manhattan. all the others are privately owned and are run as such...terribly.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by StickyZ
fyi, the ONLY MB dealership that is owned by MB is the one in Manhattan. all the others are privately owned and are run as such...terribly.
From what I recall reading on the forum here -- many people have had horrible experiences with MB Manhattan... or actually wait, it may have been a dealer review site I saw online...

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Mercedes-Benz-Manhattan-Inc-review-9301/

People aren't happy with them either, so that says alot. Yikes!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Narky, I'm sorry, but it's been nearly five years since I visited the MB Sacto dealership, and the records I had for the '02 C240 went with the car when it was traded, so I can't give you a name.

There are at least two dealerships in Sacramento these days - the "old" MB Sacramento downtown, and the "new" dealership in the suburbs [El Dorado Hills]. The Von Housen group once owned both, but now the dealer I always used [downtown] has changed hands. Whether or not the techs who gave me such good results over the years are still there is questionable. There is also a service-only facility up I-80 in Rocklin. I don't know which of the parent dealerships manage the service-only facility, but one of their original gimmicks when they opened was to allow customers and mechanics to interact more than at a regular service dept.

Your description of your experience at WC fits my memory perfectly - their service dept is useless.

The reluctance to "go outside of spec" is not a huge surprise, but I know damned well that not every tech is going to react that way - I still think making some phone calls might save a lot of time, and you may turn up a service adviser somewhere in the Bay Area who is actually anxious to help, rather than eager to cover their butt. Hiding behind the statement "it's within factory spec" just reveals a lack of willingness to help. A differential caster setting WITHIN the RANGE of the caster spec might solve the problem, but first somebody has to be willing to try! [Put one side at one extreme of the spec, put the other side at the other extreme - unless they are trying to maintain that there is only one acceptable number for caster on the W204, which I really doubt.]

Yes, it's often hard for these kinds of jobs to get reimbursed under the MBUSA warranty, but DRIFTING IS NOT NORMAL, AND I [AND OTHERS] HAVE HAD IT FIXED UNDER WARRANTY.

The fact that I have had this problem fixed myself is adding to my personal anger over the way you're being treated. I just wish I had more recent experience in the SF region, but mine is now over 5 years ago.

A final observation - you might try one of the independent tire/wheel chains in the area; in Walnut Creek, there used to be a big one right near the WC MB dealer - Wheel Works, I think, which is now part of the Tires Plus chain; at a place like that, sitting down with the tech and explaining the problem and possible solution might pay big dividends - they don't have to answer to MBUSA, but only to YOU, the customer, and many of them have the latest wheel alignment rigs, just like the dealer.

Last edited by jrct9454; 05-29-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM

MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
narky - Sorry to hear about your woes. Try Roger Kraus in Castro Valley for your alignment and suspension problems. These guys specialize in all kinds of suspension and alignment issues. They know how to get a car to track straight for sure. All sorts of tuners in the east bay send their customers to Roger Kraus.

While you're in town, you might want to stop by MB of Pleasanton and see what they say about your issues.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by narky
Hello all.

I got into an accident a little less than 2 months ago, and the car has been in and out of the shop (both dealership and not) since then.

The car's been in twice for wheel re-manufacturing to fix the nicks on the wheel surface, and finally the affected wheel has been replaced with a brand new one. I insisted a replacement from the beginning as this is a new car, but stupid insurance guys tried remanufacturing until I simply refused to accept any kind of deformation on the wheel afterwards.

That's done and over with, but I still have a problem: the car's alignment is out of whack.

It's been re-aligned twice--once at the shop (Cook's Collision: a huge chain around these parts) and once at the Mercedes dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. But the car still feel not so straight. The fault is especially noticeable at highway speeds, and I have to turn the wheel ever so slightly to the left in order to go straight (the car's pulling right, I guess?).

Unacceptable.

Since two different shops have done the alignment to no avail, I feel that perhaps something else is the cause of the tracking problem. Any ideas/clues? What else could cause this?

Background: I was going straight, through my green light on a surface street (35 MPH max), and an idiot driver made a left turn into my left front bumper/fender/wheel. The damage from the outside looked minimal, but the gouging on the bumper was significant enough to warrant a new replacement. The fender was, unbelievably, untouched.

I really wanna fix this. M-B is famous for their high speed tracking, and I don't wanna have to drive with the steering wheel slightly turned at all times even while going straight. Please! Any help with what fix I could suggest to the M-B service advisor is much appreciated.
Any resolution yet to this problem Narky?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
narky, relax bro... you are being over sensitive... i have learned with my new cars that nothing is ever perfect...

you got into a significant collision, most likely the car will never be like factory new again... it will be close, but slight things like this you just gotta let go... not worth the time or stress for such minor issues
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
Originally Posted by Carsy
Any resolution yet to this problem Narky?
I've contacted several officers at MBUSA. I await breathlessly a response, though I expect none. 2+2, and I guess I'll die from suffocation.

Originally Posted by rb23lb
...you got into a significant collision, most likely the car will never be like factory new again...
With all due respect, I hardly consider my incident a "significant collision," as 1. the accident happened at < 30 MPH, 2. no one was hurt in the slightest, and 3. nothing broke; the bumper was replaced only because it was gouged deeply enough to rule out a simpler repair job.

I got into a much more significant collision in my last new car, the 2002 White Altima 3.5 SE, when another idiot driver hit my left front corner. A lot of things were crushed/broken/torn off and had to be replaced. This happened only about a month after I got the car (I see a pattern here: brand new white car, under 2000 miles, idiot driver hits it on the left side! ). After that accident, and in the 5 years since, the Altima has never driven straight and has required a constant adjustment of the steering wheel. It always bothered the hell out of me, and this time, with this car the C300, I vow not to allow another driver's fault indefinitely ruin my driving experience. I know the car will never be perfect, but I sure as hell will try my best to get it close.

My frustration is only further intensified by the complete failure in service by my dealership rep, service adviser, and the alignment technician.

I find it hard to "relax."

I sent the emails only this morning, so I'm gonna give it one week. I'll make sure to post updates! Thanks for the responses and attention, everyone.

Last edited by narky; 06-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE

UPDATE:

I just got a call at 10:15 AM from the Service Director at my dealership. He says he was forwarded the email that I sent to MBUSA officers yesterday. I had CC'ed the email to the dealership General Manager, my SA, and the dealer rep (who has since been promoted to Sales Manager) that sold me the car.

I dunno if they got any kind of notice from the MB corporate office, but a one day turn around is not too bad.

I asked him if M-B corporate had really issued a notice telling dealers NOT to fix slight pulling issues under warranty, and he offered to show me the letter when I go into the dealership. I still can't believe this Terrible decision on M-B's part, if true! I'll ask to see the letter.

This guy once again started telling me about road crowns and blah blah blah, so I told him I experienced the same pulling problems on the floor of a flat parking garage. That shut him up.

I'm taking the car in next week and taking ANOTHER test drive with this guy. It's really nice to keep taking days off work for what I thought should've been a one-day job! Thanks, Mercedes! This is awesome!

Why can't idiots do things right the first time around? It'd save everyone a boatload of time and energy.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Sacramento alignment

<<I'm willing to drive to Sacramento to have this done. That's only an hour away. I want my car to be a confident highway tourer as Mercedes cars were built to be!..

On your behalf, I contacted my friend BB who was recently President of the Sacramento section of MBCA, quoting your post, and asked him who the club likes for problems like this. He replied:

"Linville Alignment on El Camino. They have been around for years and do a lot (or did) for the dealer on Howe - if they can't do it right it can't be done."
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
"Linville Alignment on El Camino. They have been around for years and do a lot (or did) for the dealer on Howe - if they can't do it right it can't be done."
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming that the shop is in Sacramento? I do wonder if they are open on weekends though... Hmmm. I hope so.

I'm taking the car in soon to the dealer (a different dealer). So we'll see what happens after this 3rd visit. Third time is the charm, maybe?

I'll look more into Linville Alignment if my new dealer isn't able to resolve this problem Thanks much anyway.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Which dealer are you going to try? Pleasanton?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by narky
Hello all.

I got into an accident a little less than 2 months ago, and the car has been in and out of the shop (both dealership and not) since then.

The car's been in twice for wheel re-manufacturing to fix the nicks on the wheel surface, and finally the affected wheel has been replaced with a brand new one. I insisted a replacement from the beginning as this is a new car, but stupid insurance guys tried remanufacturing until I simply refused to accept any kind of deformation on the wheel afterwards.

That's done and over with, but I still have a problem: the car's alignment is out of whack.

It's been re-aligned twice--once at the shop (Cook's Collision: a huge chain around these parts) and once at the Mercedes dealership in Walnut Creek, CA. But the car still feel not so straight. The fault is especially noticeable at highway speeds, and I have to turn the wheel ever so slightly to the left in order to go straight (the car's pulling right, I guess?).

Unacceptable.

Since two different shops have done the alignment to no avail, I feel that perhaps something else is the cause of the tracking problem. Any ideas/clues? What else could cause this?

Background: I was going straight, through my green light on a surface street (35 MPH max), and an idiot driver made a left turn into my left front bumper/fender/wheel. The damage from the outside looked minimal, but the gouging on the bumper was significant enough to warrant a new replacement. The fender was, unbelievably, untouched.

I really wanna fix this. M-B is famous for their high speed tracking, and I don't wanna have to drive with the steering wheel slightly turned at all times even while going straight. Please! Any help with what fix I could suggest to the M-B service advisor is much appreciated.
Hello Narky,
Have you had any luck resolving this problem or are you now just living with it.?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you all for continued support and concern.

I've been just living with it, but not by choice. I've been quite busy with work these past few weeks, and I haven't had the chance to take the car down to a different dealership. I know, that I don't have one spare day sounds stupidly unbelievable, but it's true. I've been setting up a new office for my business (our third office) in a different city, and it's been a big ol' mess of headaches. Lawyers are now getting involved. And you know it only gonna get uglier now. Blech.

I've recently been in contact with my insurance guy, and I will be letting him know about what I do before going down to a dealer. I'm considering the Oakland M-B, simply because that is the closest to where I currently live/work. Convenience rules. I was at first considering R.A.B. Motors over in San Rafael because they were so accommodating during my search for the car, but it's just too far for me to use as my primary dealership. Now I just worry and hope that Oakland will be a good one.

I hope to get this fixed soon! There is not a day that goes by without my being annoyed at this cocked steering wheel position. Terrible. Most terrible.

I feel like I will sigh a massive breath of relief when I finally get this issue resolved. It's killing me slowly inside.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 PM

C300 Sport
I noticed your post today and I'm thinking that the following link may offer some helpful information regarding your tracking problem. As the website suggests, the StraightTrak® LFM (Lateral Force Measurement) feature of the Hunter GSP9700 Balancer may be the solution to your problem. The website also identifies shops in your area that have this equipment.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/StraightTrak.cfm