C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Expensive Option Regrets. Anyone Else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Expensive Option Regrets. Anyone Else?

My main "wants" after initially looking at the new C-Class were 3.5 motor, 18" wheels, and white with black interior. I couldn't care less about gadgets like bluetooth or navigation as my driving doesn't require it.

Figures the options I wanted only came on cars with all the other expensive options as well and a 6 month wait for a custom order didn't work for me either.

So my impatience got the best of me as usual and I bought a loaded up car with P2(sunscreen is nice for the baby), MM, and Pano roof.

Well I don't even care for regular sunroofs anymore as they are noisy and heat sinks(I am getting old) but less paint to maintain as I detail my cars regularly kind of justifies the cost but not really as I don't even open the sunshades let alone the roof.

I get tech gadgets and don't have a problem figuring them out and thought I mine as well get my moneys worth but:
a) I don't find the bluetooth phone or navigation all that user friendly or convenient.
b) The voice command is just frustrating. Very inconsistent about voice commands and again not any help in making things easier IMO.
c) The command center dial is pretty much useless and more of a distraction than help, again IMO.

So is it me or do others find the expensive options a big waste of money after time using, trying to use, or lack of using them?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
I think some people readily adopt to the gadgets quicker than others. I love each and everything in the C350 .

1- The car looks fantastic with the pano. It helps open up the space inside.
2- I'm using a Sony W810i with my blutooth ... and it works flawlessly. I was very impressed at how quick it was to use my phone. It even picks up the signal when the phone is sitting in the house, and i'm in the garage.
3- Voice Command is great for saying things like 'cancel navigation' or 'radio' to switch back and forth between the INPUTS. But yes, we're not quite there yet.
4- The Command System is a God send for me. It's saved me money on gas already taking new routes in a city, I just moved to. So I don't know the streets all too well. Even my roadtrips, have saved me gas, because it got us there with amazing precision. The dial itself is useful to me. I use it constantly. Touch screen however, would have been the right way to go.

Last edited by c350_vancouver; 05-27-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
No regrets here, I wish I had added the Memory package to my long list of options.

The Nav is one of the most accurate I have used so far, the Bluetooth's fine also, Pano roof and rear blind I use quite often. The Intelligent Light Package will come in handy when I take my summer vacation driving through the winding country lanes/roads in France. The 18" AMG upgrade makes my car quite unique, I have not seen one with them in town yet. UK sport models come with 17" as standard. the list goes on.....

Last edited by Uga Uga; 05-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
No regrets here, I wish I had added the Memory package to my long list of options.
I wish I had the memory seats and I haven't even gotten my new car yet haha :P... but in the scheme of things it should be fine as I'm the only driver anyway...
Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM

99 DC2, 08 C350
no regrets here either.

i didnt get pano, cuz i knew i didnt need it so i didnt want to waste a grand on it

bluetooth: dont seem to have a problem here...my wife drives the car most of the time, he phone is paired with the car and she loves it and has no problems with it

voice command: everytime i've used it, it's been really good, it's never messed up anything i've said to it.

command center dial: i think it works pretty well...the more i use it, the better i get at using it
Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM

2008 220CDI Sport Auto Estate, Obsidian Black, Black leather, Heated Seats,Pan Roof, Comand,
No Regrets here.

COMAND is a lot easier than the system in the BMW's
Bluetooth works brilliantly with my Nokia
Pano Roof opens the car up especially on those rare summer days here
Advanced Agility Package makes for a much more sporty drive {nice to have the option}

All in All worth the extra ££££'s Attachment 131624

Last edited by ManchesterMerc; 06-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally, I wanted to get the C350 with MM and P2 package together in either palladium silver or black. I was told it was a 3 month wait for my build and because I needed a new car as soon as possible, I couldn't wait that long. Luckily, there was a P2 Palladium Silver C350 on it's way and I dropped a deposit on it. Received it two weeks later.

I'm not regretting it too much, but sometimes the MM package is nice, but totally not necessary, because the price will jump up to 45k out the door. Saving a few thousand dollars sometimes makes it worthwhile.

P2 though, can't be beat. Worth it's value easily.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM

C320 CDI Elegance
No regrets here. Yes they were expensive but, unless you are a cat, you only live once. So make the most of it.
I even waited 4 months, because I wanted parameter steering which was causing production delays. But I'd rather wait and have my car loaded with what I wanted.
Now, if money was no object, I would have loaded it even further, but in the end I was happy with my choice. These were the options in order of must-haves:

V6 engine (diesel) mated with the 7G-tronic was a marriage made in heaven, which I had to have.
COMMAND - especially when it included the soon to add 'video in motion' for the kids. I think the bluetooth and liguatronic that comes together are fantastic.
Memory seats package.
Rear climate control console. It makes the car more upmarket, as the W204 is the only car in its class with this option. Frankly though, it does not add much praticality value.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Buyer's remorse?

..My main "wants" after initially looking at the new C-Class were 3.5 motor, 18" wheels, and white with black interior. I couldn't care less about gadgets like bluetooth or navigation as my driving doesn't require it.

Figures the options I wanted only came on cars with all the other expensive options as well and a 6 month wait for a custom order didn't work for me either.

So my impatience got the best of me as usual and I bought a loaded up car with P2(sunscreen is nice for the baby), MM, and Pano roof.

Well I don't even care for regular sunroofs anymore as they are noisy and heat sinks(I am getting old) but less paint to maintain as I detail my cars regularly kind of justifies the cost but not really as I don't even open the sunshades let alone the roof.

I get tech gadgets and don't have a problem figuring them out and thought I mine as well get my moneys worth but:
a) I don't find the bluetooth phone or navigation all that user friendly or convenient.
b) The voice command is just frustrating. Very inconsistent about voice commands and again not any help in making things easier IMO.
c) The command center dial is pretty much useless and more of a distraction than help, again IMO.

So is it me or do others find the expensive options a big waste of money after time using, trying to use, or lack of using them?..

I think in fact it is just you.

I bought P2, MM and even leather and don't regret anything. After examining the Pano roof and how it operates, I decided to skip it. My telephone works as designed and I'm happy with it. I have zero problems with the voice feature. The HK soundsystem is the best stock system I've ever experienced and I love it. As for the nav system, I find it very accurate even if it sometimes wants to take a route that is not my usual to a place I go to frequently.

So if you can't master the voice command and you can't use the comand knob, how do you use anything?

Are you familiar with the term "Luddite?"

Last edited by RLE; 05-27-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM

2015 Iridium Silver Luxury Edition C300 4Matic
One regret: Taking TeleAid.

I regret having taken TeleAid, an expensive option, because it loses the signal as soon as I'm in the country, where it would be useful in case of an accident.

I might not renew the service.

Pierre
Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
All good here.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:10 AM

'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Probably would have just got the base as opposed to the "Sport" w/ 18" wheels. My wife already scuffed the front bumper on a parking block. I think if we had the base the bumper would have been unscathed. Also my wife curbed the right front 18" AMG wheel, so the standard wheel with more sidewall would have likely been ok. Now that I think about it I should have just got her the ML350 or the Acura MDX like I started and wouldn't have any road rash or scuffs . Hind sight is 20/20.

-Ryan
Old 05-28-2008, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Not to happy with the voice command I find it faster to just use the command wheel or the steering wheel controls. Other than that I'm pretty happy so far, Really don't want the Sirius radio and most likely will not suscribe once the trial period runs out (I HATE Stern).
Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM

08 MB
I think in fact it is just you.

I bought P2, MM and even leather and don't regret anything. After examining the Pano roof and how it operates, I decided to skip it. My telephone works as designed and I'm happy with it. I have zero problems with the voice feature. The HK soundsystem is the best stock system I've ever experienced and I love it. As for the nav system, I find it very accurate even if it sometimes wants to take a route that is not my usual to a place I go to frequently.

So if you can't master the voice command and you can't use the comand knob, how do you use anything?

Are you familiar with the term "Luddite?"
First thing first is don't disrespect me like I'm some idiot as I never said I can't use the features. You'd be choosing your delivery of words more wisely debating me face to face. I'm in the computer and engineering field where I am always making things easier to use so bringing up the word "luddite" to insinuate me is ridiculous.

I barely talk on my phone so the few people I do talk to are MUCH easier to speed dial direct then the bull**** it takes to use voice command to dial them up. I find it hard to believe someone finds the voice command "great" to use for all functions. Some functions are easier than others.

For the most part I know where I am going so navigation is not justified too me but the few times navigation would have came in handy it was pointless as the map doesn't show side streets.

The "command knob" is worthless for things I would need it for and again I can't see how people can argue. For instance the standard buttons to change from radio to navigation to phone are tens times SAFER and QUICKER than using the command knob. I say safer as looking at the screen and scrolling is a much bigger distraction than glancing at which button to push. Changing radio stations again is much safer and quicker using old fashioned buttons whether on the radio panel or steering wheel than scrolling with some wheel and then having to PUSH to enter which can be done in the first place with one motion as mentioned above.

Everybody is different on like and dislikes but "voice command" is WAY to slow to get anything accomplished IMO. The response and additional steps required to do things is not "convenient" or "user friendly" which are the terms I initially used and not "I can't figure this stuff out".

Last edited by racetested; 05-28-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by Bellavance
I regret having taken TeleAid, an expensive option, because it loses the signal as soon as I'm in the country, where it would be useful in case of an accident.

I might not renew the service.

Pierre
This is the intelligent response I was looking for.

Many people including myself view posts more than start or add to. Now a new buyer will see this and may put more thought into what they spend there money on for features based on what they may or may not need or use.